PDA

View Full Version : Help spend my money

LegendRider
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
I am the happy owner of a Legend with 9 sp Dura Ace that weighs 19.5 lbs with clinchers. I want a second bike that is really light - say, in the 16.5 lb range. I fully understand that fit and geometry are generally more important than weight, etc. So, no need to try to convince me otherwise. Also, no need to tell me to work on the engine. I simply want a light bike!

What should I get? I don't want to spend a fortune (C-50, Parlee, Dragonfly). And, I want Serotta-like geometry although I'd be happy with 7 cm of bottom bracket drop. I saw an CCKMP for $1,495 - not bad. The new Cannondales are nice. Klein geometry is weird. Any other ideas?

bostondrunk
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Calfee Luna?
And why is your legend so heavy?!!? Thats heavy!

jeffg
07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
cervelo r2.5? That should be a light frame for less than $2000 frame/fork The CCKMP would not be a bad option, depending on your weight. The fact that your Legend is 19.5 makes me think you may exceed 180 lbs., no? I have a 55X57 Legend that comes in at just a hair under 18 with Kysrium Sl clinchers, cages, polar computer, etc. In that case I would shy away from feather light AL.

Dr. Doofus
07-07-2004, 10:41 AM
1) Call Dave Kirk and have him make a 59 x 58 terraplane with a 74 seat angle. Have him send it to me, but you send him the check. Cut out a picture of the bike of your choice and affix a paperclip to it. It will weigh approximately 1oz and you will have one light bike....

2) How about having Orbea make you a Starship frame in the same geo as your Legend? Probably the lightest custom option out there for under 2 grand

3) Have Pinarello make a copy of your Legend in a Marvel

4) Carerra will also do custom

5) Be very patient and have Dario do a CCKMP just for you

The Doc says declare your dollar line of death first, then, if you like the Legend, have somebody do a custom AL with the same STA, Effective TT, and HT length. Fit, Fit, Fit...you can find a maker that will get you around 2.2 pounds for under 2 grand (maybe even Marinoni...do it through Mike Barry at Bicycle Specialites and you'll pay Canadian $, not US -- the US cat for Marinoni has been incommunicado for a while...like a year).

rnhood
07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I second the Calfee recommendation. Mine is built with Serotta geometry. Nice, light, fast and furious.

slowgoing
07-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Calfee Luna if you like the steep head tube angles. Going custom on a Calfee may not be within your price range. The Giant TCR carbon might also do the trick -$1200-1300 on ebay, $1500 in store at Supergo, and includes the fork (forks are extra at Calfee). But these frames will probably only save you 1/2 pound at most. The rest of the three or more pounds you're looking to save will have to be from the components and wheels.

jerk
07-07-2004, 04:05 PM
jerk's with the doc on this one....replicate the front center, bb dro,p chain stay length, fork rake and head angle before replicating anything else though...then make sure the seat angle is right...don't worry about the top tube length and the seat tube length those two irrelevent measurements will sort themselves out once you get the above stuff done...if you want to go custom and replicate your legend the jerk would strongly recommend a merckx or a pegoretti. a fina estapma or a race would be great. custom pinarellos are nearly impossible to come by and the cost and the lead time is absurd....the jerk ain't too big a fan of orbea's starship bike (maybe the customs are different) last he checked only one tube was starship. the r2.5 is basically a reverse engineered colnago as far as the jerk can tell...carbon lugs and carbon tubes..... very stiff suprisingly and very light. get a nice pegoretti a custom 8:30 will keep you below 2 and a custom fina will be a bit above....
a cckmp will be lighter and ride about the same (a little stiffer, a littler "tinnier" if that's a word) and if you can find one that fits the bill snatch it up. the jerk has never known anyone who was disappointed in dario's work. he's the best at what he does and although some esteemed members of this forum beg to differ, (that's you bigmac) he's the best builder in italy right now bar none.