PDA

View Full Version : Park Tool Tire Boot?

Keith A
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Any experiences with the Park Tool TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot? I had a wood screw go through a brand new (2nd ride) Michelin Krylion Carbon this morning on my commute to work. I hate to just toss a brand new tire, but there is definitely a hole all the way through the tire.

I realize the Park tire boot is more intended to get you home, but from it's description, it sounds like it might let me get some more miles out of this tire...

The fastest, easiest, and most secure way to repair a cut or worn tire sidewall. The all-new TB-2 is produced using a strong, waterproof vinyl membrane with fiber weave reinforcement. A super strong pressure sensitive adhesive assures the boot stays in place in any tire, road or mountain, high or low pressure. A true ride saver.

So what do you guys/gals think...give it a try or toss the tire?

davep
09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I purchased a package of these before PBP and they are definitely thicker than the old version. I'd say its worth a shot to try it.

sg8357
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Pay money for tire boots ? nah.

Tyvek house wrap, cut into dollar bill size pieces.
FedEx envelopes are almost as good.
For the fancy version, use the flap with the tape on it.

Scott G.

Kevan
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
better yet, get hold of some FedEx envelopes, the mylar non-rip type, and cut off the fold=over flap leaving the peel off adhesive guard intact. I use scissors to cut a large bandaid shaped patch which I then keep in my cycling wallet at all times. When needed, peel off the adhesive guard, apply, and you're good to get home.

Ozz
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
A package of them came with a Park Tool kit I received as a Xmas present a couple years ago....I don't know if they are the new kind or the old kind. They are cut to the right size and have adhesive.

I finally had a chance to use one last week! Seems to work just fine. The adhesive makes it a little tricky to get the boot into position. You basically get one shot cuz you can't slide it around...unless you mess up a couple times. Then the adhesive gets coated in talc and really isn't sticky anymore. ;)

Up until last week I used the folded dollar bill method. Good tip on the tyvek envelope recycling.....I get a couple of those a week at work.

barry1021
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
better yet, get hold of some FedEx envelopes, the mylar non-rip type, and cut off the fold=over flap leaving the peel off adhesive guard intact. I use scissors to cut a large bandaid shaped patch which I then keep in my cycling wallet at all times. When needed, peel off the adhesive guard, apply, and you're good to get home.

brilliant! Already glued and ready to go.

b21

CalfeeFly
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I used one and it worked so well I forgot it was in the tire. Eventually it started to peel off the tire and a sharp edge caused a flat. That is how I remembered it was in there.

I've used dollar bills and tyvek. The dollar bill does not last all that long. I have had them wear through before the ride was over. Tyvek works well but is very hard to position or use for a longer period of time. The Park boot is relatively cheap, easy to use and position and lasts a long time. They are hard to beat.

P.S. To be safe make it your rear tire.

Keith A
09-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all of the helpful input. I've read about using the FedEX envelopes and have access to some at my office, but have yet to try these. When I read the description of the Park Tire boot, it sounded similar to a FedEX envelope, but I liked the idea of their "pressure sensitve adhesive" to keep the boot in place.

BTW, this already was a rear tire and it would certainly have become one if I go ahead with the tire boot to get some more miles out of this tire.

Orin
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
The Park boots do tend to dry out over time. Then they crack and has been noted, create sharp edges that can cause flats. This usually happens after you forget the boot is there...

Orin.

CalfeeFly
09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
The Park boots do tend to dry out over time. Then they crack and has been noted, create sharp edges that can cause flats. This usually happens after you forget the boot is there...

Orin.

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only person that had this happen. :)

Keith A
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Well I tried the FedEX envelope and it seems that this tire is a goner. There wasn't any envelope sticking through when I pumped the tire up, but there was a noticeable bulge where the hole is and I could tell that it would be felt when riding it.

But I will cut up some small pieces of this to keep with me as an emergency tire boot. The sticky tape made it so much easier to get the tire back on instead of trying to keep a folded $1 bill in place.

Kevan
09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
to last beyond getting oneself home. I think trying to squeeze some extra mileage out of the damaged rubber is...well, reckless.

regularguy412
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
An empty Gu Gel pack makes a great boot. It feels like it has some kind of metal in the wrapper. However, I can understand how a bulge at the hole might be uncomfortable on the bike.

When I've had tires with cut that went all the way through, I've booted them and used them on a trainer rear wheel. Flatting on the trainer is not too big of a deal and you might at least get 'some' further use out of it.

Mike in AR

Keith A
09-06-2007, 10:01 AM
regularguy -- Great idea about using the tire as a trainer only tire. Anyone want a free trainer tire to be used for your winter riding months? I'm fortunate enough to not have to get on the trainer more than a couple of times a year.

GregL
09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I recently had a similar occurrence. I had a small hole cut completely through a Michelin Carbon tire. Since the tire still had some good rubber left on it, I didn't want to pitch it. I used super glue to bond the hole through the outer rubber and casing. I used a tire patch on the inside of the tire to ensure that there was not a rough spot to rub through the tube. I let the repair cure for 24 hours to allow the super glue to fully bond. I remounted the tire and it has worked well for several hundred miles since. There is no sign yet of the hole opening up.

Regards,
Greg