PDA

View Full Version : Question for grant

Fixed
09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
bro you have a wonderful assortment of bikes which one do you grab to ride most often . I not going to ask if you only had one that would be to painful imho
I admire your tatse bro ...don't say that old fix beater ..
cheers

Too Tall
09-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Before "G-money" answers I'll guess....it is infact that crappy looking training bike all covered in dirt and goo. Those bikes just get polished hehehe NOT!!! G is the real deal.

Grant McLean
09-05-2007, 10:09 AM
gosh josh, you have me pegged!

It's a funny thing. I ride everywhere in this city, basically every day,
as i've mentioned Ad nauseum I'm car free. There is just a mental
block about putting hard miles on anything but a beater. It going to change
someday, maybe soon. The singlespeed/fixie thing is the saviour, atmo, but
it's gotta have great fenders.

i just popped outside and took a snapshot:

-g

Fixed
09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
bro t.t. I know yours the tom k. they must be great ..chrisroph out in oragon loves his steel t,k, too he told me that was his fav one time . cheers

Fixed
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
bro nice hey is it fixed or s.s. ?
cheers

Fixed
09-05-2007, 10:15 AM
okay let's hear from you collectors what do you cats ride out the door with?
cheers

J.Greene
09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
cheers

Right now I'm mostly riding my race bike which my srm is on. Other than that I ride my Sachs, and Hampsten Giro 88. I have a Davidson I ride fixed. The sachs and Hampsten both ride so nice.

JG

Grant McLean
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
bro nice hey is it fixed or s.s. ?
cheers

Right now it's ss. In the fall I switch it to fixed, because the crap and cold
just eats cheap freewheels. The pawls get stuck open all the time since the
bike gets wet, and freezes. Fixed is great in the snow.

I can't go without a brake, otherwise i'd just commute on a track bike in the nice weather.
I guess I'd really like 2 commuter bikes, maybe a Kalavinka street tracker for
summer, and maybe an Ebsiu or something like that with fenders and one of those
sweet white industries freewheels for wet weather.

g

Chris
09-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't mean to keep hijacking threads, but this is along the vein that I have been thinking of for a while. Sort of. First off, in reply to Fixed question, I don't have a beater bike anymore. I want to start commuting to work a bit. It's a short trip, but I have to dress in slacks and a shirt (psychologist at a hospital), so I just haven't figured out exactly how to haul everything. We have showers so that is a plus. The other issue is that we have an intersection near an upscale neighborhood where the sprinklers flood the intersection every morning. I guess I just need to add two miles to the commute. Anyway, I digress. I only have two bikes, and they are race bikes. Not the best commuters. Man I wish I had my 1992 Stumpjumper with deore components (see even I like the old stuff occassionally). So, I got to find something. I don't want to spend much, maybe a fixed, maybe a cross bike or just a plain mountain bike. Suggestions are always welcome.

The other (hijacked) part is that I used to be one of these guys who wanted a full garage full of bikes like some of my buddies here in town or out there amongst you guys. The problem I've run into has been the need to have them all set up identically. Some can get away with different positions, but my knees scream out loud if the set back is changed at all from one bike to another. Getting bikes with a bunch of different angles all set up the same is more trouble than I really want. I recently had my Moots, a local custom, and my team bike (CAAD8). Dialing in all of those positions was a total pain. So first I sold the custom. Then when I got a System6 for this year, I decided to sell the Moots so I had two bikes with identical builds. This has been eye opening. It's funny. When I had the Moots, I didn't like the Cannondale other than as a race bike. The ride of the Moots was obviously so much smoother and more comfortable.

Once the Cannondales were the only frame of reference I had, I really grew to appreciate them both. I probably prefer the CAAD8 just a little between the two. This led me to two things though. First, there are bikes that I used to stare down my nose at, that are really good bikes. Second, it is amazing how we adapt to what we have (reminds me of the thread on BB drop). And, one more, there are a TON of bikes that are so OVERPRICED compared to bikes that provide 99 percent of performance for 30% of cost. Look at my two Cannondales. The System6 was their high end super pricey bike (for one year) last year and the all aluminum frames have been relegated to the commuter or casual cyclist. It took me 20 years to finally get on an aluminum bike, and I think it took the companies that long to finally get them dialed in and all of a sudden they are going to be as rare as steel bikes soon. At a time when carbon supply is dwindling and prices are going through the roof for marginally better (debatable) race bikes, why?! Marketing I guess, but to me, the beauty of a race bike is in the simplicity and the utilitarianess (I know it isn't a word) of the bike. Why on earth would I race in a 100+ rider field on a $10K bike, even if I could afford it. It just seems stupid. I guess the problem I see is that some of the really good, competitive frames like the all aluminum bikes that Cannondale built its business on are now disappearing for the more exotic materials just because. Just because. Sorry for the rambling rant...

MRB
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
cheers
This one..... When I'm feeling young again or feeling like an ape.

Jack Brunk
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Grant,

Can you pm me your phone number where I can contact you.

Thanks,

Jack

big shanty
09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Over the past year I have whittled down from 9 bikes/frames to 2....my Vanilla and a ROSS Signature (sentimental favorite and sweet ride!). I sold off my "commuter" last week, my Vanilla is in storage while I move, and the Signature needs to have the wheels rebuilt, so I am without bike! A new commuter is incoming sometime October/November, and another new frame will be rolling in around October. In the meantime I am running and growing a Forrest Gump beard.

merckx
09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I don't mean to keep hijacking threads, but this is along the vein that I have been thinking of for a while. Sort of. First off, in reply to Fixed question, I don't have a beater bike anymore. I want to start commuting to work a bit. It's a short trip, but I have to dress in slacks and a shirt (psychologist at a hospital), so I just haven't figured out exactly how to haul everything. We have showers so that is a plus. The other issue is that we have an intersection near an upscale neighborhood where the sprinklers flood the intersection every morning. I guess I just need to add two miles to the commute. Anyway, I digress. I only have two bikes, and they are race bikes. Not the best commuters. Man I wish I had my 1992 Stumpjumper with deore components (see even I like the old stuff occassionally). So, I got to find something. I don't want to spend much, maybe a fixed, maybe a cross bike or just a plain mountain bike. Suggestions are always welcome.

The other (hijacked) part is that I used to be one of these guys who wanted a full garage full of bikes like some of my buddies here in town or out there amongst you guys. The problem I've run into has been the need to have them all set up identically. Some can get away with different positions, but my knees scream out loud if the set back is changed at all from one bike to another. Getting bikes with a bunch of different angles all set up the same is more trouble than I really want. I recently had my Moots, a local custom, and my team bike (CAAD8). Dialing in all of those positions was a total pain. So first I sold the custom. Then when I got a System6 for this year, I decided to sell the Moots so I had two bikes with identical builds. This has been eye opening. It's funny. When I had the Moots, I didn't like the Cannondale other than as a race bike. The ride of the Moots was obviously so much smoother and more comfortable.

Once the Cannondales were the only frame of reference I had, I really grew to appreciate them both. I probably prefer the CAAD8 just a little between the two. This led me to two things though. First, there are bikes that I used to stare down my nose at, that are really good bikes. Second, it is amazing how we adapt to what we have (reminds me of the thread on BB drop). And, one more, there are a TON of bikes that are so OVERPRICED compared to bikes that provide 99 percent of performance for 30% of cost. Look at my two Cannondales. The System6 was their high end super pricey bike (for one year) last year and the all aluminum frames have been relegated to the commuter or casual cyclist. It took me 20 years to finally get on an aluminum bike, and I think it took the companies that long to finally get them dialed in and all of a sudden they are going to be as rare as steel bikes soon. At a time when carbon supply is dwindling and prices are going through the roof for marginally better (debatable) race bikes, why?! Marketing I guess, but to me, the beauty of a race bike is in the simplicity and the utilitarianess (I know it isn't a word) of the bike. Why on earth would I race in a 100+ rider field on a $10K bike, even if I could afford it. It just seems stupid. I guess the problem I see is that some of the really good, competitive frames like the all aluminum bikes that Cannondale built its business on are now disappearing for the more exotic materials just because. Just because. Sorry for the rambling rant...

Two of your points hit a note with me.

1. I, too, cannot get cozy with my machines if they are even just a little bit different (geo/position) from one another. Just can't do it. Individually, they may be great machines, but I end up preferring the one that I'm on at the moment.

2. That leads to the second point. You adapt to what ever you spend most time on.

coylifut
09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Two of your points hit a note with me.

1. I, too, cannot get cozy with my machines if they are even just a little bit different (geo/position) from one another. Just can't do it. Individually, they may be great machines, but I end up preferring the one that I'm on at the moment.

2. That leads to the second point. You adapt to what ever you spend most time on.

i'm the opposite. i have fixed gear, a race bike, a commuter, two cross bikes and a single speed cx. the fixed gear, cross bikes, ss cx and road bikes are all different by necessity. the two geared cx bikes are identical and the race bike and commuter are the same, but as a collection they are different. because i rarely ride the same bike bike on consequtive days, i'm adapted to all of 'em.

jimcav
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
are spectrum Ti or 585. Most of my bikes are set up similarly--the saddle position is exact relative to BB, but the reach to the bars and drop can vary a little. my kirk is set up higher up front--great for a longer weekend ride. my crumpton is set low. I have yet to get out on the r33--still trying to find the old DA cassette i "know" i have in the garage.
I have to build up the serotta.
and i have to sell a bike too--which is always hard.
I just saw my first CX race--i may try that. i have a SS spicer CX bike i used in the DC winters, but need to get real CX tires on it.
selling my specialized epic now to make room in the garage for the serotta once i build it.
last year i did winter with just a clip on rear fender, this year will try bike planet fenders. It's only rain, so i ride anything but steel.
most mornings i don't sweat much at all--year round. quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
I drive in monday morning, drive home friday afternoon--take clothes for the week.
back in DC i rode with a back pack--you get used to it. like the first time i went on a 30 mile mtb ride with a camel back--hated the thing, liked drinking though, and so i got used to it.
happy riding
jim

chakatrain
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
...for commuting the 14 miles to work and doing errands around San Francisco. But since I bought DarrenCT's '96 CSI about 4 weeks ago, that's all I've been riding, save for a small fire road adventure with the crosshairs (after putting the knobbies back on).

The CSI is, indeed, all that.

merckx
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
i'm the opposite. i have fixed gear, a race bike, a commuter, two cross bikes and a single speed cx. the fixed gear, cross bikes, ss cx and road bikes are all different by necessity. the two geared cx bikes are identical and the race bike and commuter are the same, but as a collection they are different. because i rarely ride the same bike bike on consequtive days, i'm adapted to all of 'em.

I envy you.

SimonC
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
This fit thing interests me. I accept there may be an 'optimum' fit for any particular individual (at least within a certain range of riding), but I can ride just about anything - from a 57cm top tube with a 9cm stem to a 61cm top tube with a 12cm stem. Perhaps I'm just lucky? How did those of you who only feel comfortable on one setup arrive at that - professional fit, or continual adjustment?

Fixed
09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
bro i'll ride just about anything if I have to.. if it is to tall i just lean the bike over to touch the ground to small can be a pain but it beats walking ..imho
cheers

merckx
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
This fit thing interests me. I accept there may be an 'optimum' fit for any particular individual (at least within a certain range of riding), but I can ride just about anything - from a 57cm top tube with a 9cm stem to a 61cm top tube with a 12cm stem. Perhaps I'm just lucky? How did those of you who only feel comfortable on one setup arrive at that - professional fit, or continual adjustment?

For me, it's not about just fitting my body to the machine. It also entails the machine fitting the road. By that I mean, I like to fit my machine well, and I like it to be balanced and connected to the road. The bikes where I have this sorted out have zoom. The rest are just bikes.

Chris
09-05-2007, 03:40 PM

I think I didn't make myself clear enough on this. It isn't that there is a magic formula that a certain bike has to get me too, it is that whatever position I have arrived at has to be the same on all of my bikes or my knees tell me about it immediately. If I decide that my position on one bike needs to slide back a little on the rails, then I have to go through the painful process of getting my other bikes to the identical setback. I have a buddy who has ten or so bikes and all he does is measure from the tip of the saddle to the bars and goes. That to me is amazing. Maybe it is, like someone else said, that he is on so many different bikes that he is adjusted to all of them.

big shanty
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=classicrendezvous.10201.0594.e ml

Fixed
09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I think I didn't make myself clear enough on this. It isn't that there is a magic formula that a certain bike has to get me too, it is that whatever position I have arrived at has to be the same on all of my bikes or my knees tell me about it immediately. If I decide that my position on one bike needs to slide back a little on the rails, then I have to go through the painful process of getting my other bikes to the identical setback. I have a buddy who has ten or so bikes and all he does is measure from the tip of the saddle to the bars and goes. That to me is amazing. Maybe it is, like someone else said, that he is on so many different bikes that he is adjusted to all of them.
bro do you have trouble with with a lot of injuries ? maybe you need to work on : flexibility most cats can ride different bikes without pain ..imho
cheers

Chris
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I can touch palms to the floor. I have a previous knee surgery from a skiing injury and a lot of soccer growing up. Are you saying I am weak? ;)

stevep
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
im not that fussy.
i have a summer bike,
a winter bike
a mt bike for occasional mostly winter use
a commuter bike
a cross bike not yet arrived although i gave my old one away already
(zank- remember me..all lonely now w/o a cross bike )
maybe i can borrow my old cross bike back from tyler munroe who i gave it to...he probably killed it already.

they are all pretty close in saddle position...bar position varies a little.

i just sit on it and ride...theya re all ok for what they are i just like getting outside and pedaling.

rickygarni
09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
My commuting (20 miles one way, 10 miles back) is done happily on a '99 Litespeed Blue Ridge with DT rims & Vredestein 32mm Moirees (which I finally switched too because, ironically enough, the BIKE paths were too torn up for little tires...)

Ricky

Fixed
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I can touch palms to the floor. I have a previous knee surgery from a skiing injury and a lot of soccer growing up. Are you saying I am weak? ;)
no not at all..cheers :beer:

Too Tall
09-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Slight drift and affirmation to ride bikes that you can ride hard all day long and why...just an example.

Last yr. I rebuilt my custom Ti Legend into a daily commuter with fenders....cut to yesterday...riding home late from rowing practice I am swarmed by a bunch of 20somethings. Jumped onto their paceline until it turned uphill than gave em' the wood ;) I tapped one of the more steady wheels and we worked together for a few miles than sat up....a few mins. later the bunch caught up and got chatty "Boy those sure are some skinny fenders on that bike sir. I guess that adds to the workout huh?".

Hehe I guess that was a backhanded compliment. The youngn' thought that fendered bikes are slow, heavy and big tyres right?

WRONG. The bike is a former race machina and the bike fits like a glove with no comprimise...the same glove I wear with small changes for everything I do on bikes. Change is bad. Your bikes need to fit.

`Rant-Off`

Fixed
09-06-2007, 07:49 AM
bro t.t. on a 52 cm. that would be m.p. imho
cheers
bro i might be a freak i can ride anything from a 55 through a 60cm . just give me a few stems and a wrench for the saddle ... . i really like my rolls that i got dbrk saddles didn't make a big deal till i rode that .now my cut off jeans feel as good as my race kit ...well almost
cheers