PDA

View Full Version : Bib shorts - problem with fit

MilanoTom
09-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm almost embarassed to be asking, but I'm having a hard time finding a bib short that fits right, and thought that someone on the forum might have a suggestion (besides "lose ten pounds").

I am a hair under 5'7" and my weight seems to be hovering in the area of 152 - 155 pounds. I'm reasonably thin, except for a waistline that's in the 33 - 34 inch range. Large bibs seem to have legs that are too long or have lgrippers that are loose, but Mediums seem to be cut for a lot skinnier guy. The crazy thing is that I have older medium bibs that fit fine (and no, they're not all stretched out, either). Right now, I'm getting by in some medium Assos.

Are they cutting these things on smaller patterns than they used to (is Large supposed to be the new Medium)? Is there anybody in my "situation" that has had luck with a particular brand?

I gotta say - middle-age spread really sucks.

Thanks.
Tom

znfdl
09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
We have similar proportions. Assos, Campagnolo and Exteondo works for me.

gt6267a
09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Znfdl, what size are you wearing in the etxe ondo? I used to weigh more and have the XLs which fit ok, though not as snug as they used to. Now, I could wear a large.

That said, I am also confused by these measurements. I am 5’7”, weigh 175 and wear 33s. With a similar height and a 20lb weight differential, it seems like we should have very different sized waists.

Too Tall
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Dewd! If it is any help I had to size up when formerly wearing 2004 Assos and I know I'm not getting bigger (knock on wood).

MilanoTom
09-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Znfdl, what size are you wearing in the etxe ondo? I used to weigh more and have the XLs which fit ok, though not as snug as they used to. Now, I could wear a large.

That said, I am also confused by these measurements. I am 5’7”, weigh 175 and wear 33s. With a similar height and a 20lb weight differential, it seems like we should have very different sized waists.

When I was 20, I weighed about 120 pounds. My chest, arms and legs are still pretty thin, but I ended up with more of a waistline. If the gut wasn't there, I'd probably be about 145. I take 33s in Dockers and Levi jeans.

Tom

znfdl
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
We have similar proportions. Assos, Campagnolo and Exteondo works for me.

Soory, forgot to put in the size. Large in Assos and Extenondo and Medium in Campagnolo.

I am down to 160, with a 33 inch waist. I have a wrestlers type of body, e.g. broad shoulders, as I wear XL in most jerseys.

bostondrunk
09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm almost embarassed to be asking, but I'm having a hard time finding a bib short that fits right, and thought that someone on the forum might have a suggestion (besides "lose ten pounds").

I am a hair under 5'7" and my weight seems to be hovering in the area of 152 - 155 pounds. I'm reasonably thin, except for a waistline that's in the 33 - 34 inch range. Large bibs seem to have legs that are too long or have lgrippers that are loose, but Mediums seem to be cut for a lot skinnier guy. The crazy thing is that I have older medium bibs that fit fine (and no, they're not all stretched out, either). Right now, I'm getting by in some medium Assos.

Are they cutting these things on smaller patterns than they used to (is Large supposed to be the new Medium)? Is there anybody in my "situation" that has had luck with a particular brand?

I gotta say - middle-age spread really sucks.

Thanks.
Tom

I would say that Assos is the wrong brand for you. Try a size Medium in pearl izumi, I think you'll have better luck. A medium in Louis Garneau would probably work as well.

tch
09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
5'8" (just), 165, waist 34 (most pants), sz Large jerseys = Medium in Pearl Izumi bib shorts very satisfactorily.

Pete Serotta
09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I would suggest the med in Pearl also. Assos is cut way different than the latest Pearl I got.

Good luck. PETE

MilanoTom
09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
They were the ones that list for around $150. The less costly ones did not fit my wide frame as well.

The last set of Pearls I tried seemed a little snug (mislabeled perhaps). I'll try 'em again.

Thanks.
Tom

CNY rider
09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I know they're not hip but I and a couple of other folks here have good luck with Performance shorts and bibs.

We're close in size: I'm 5 foot 6 and 147 pounds. The size medium bibs from Performance fit well and are very high quality.

give 'em a try. If they fit right you'll have a bunch of $$$ left over to spend on other goodies.

93legendti
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I would say that Assos is the wrong brand for you. Try a size Medium in pearl izumi, I think you'll have better luck. A medium in Louis Garneau would probably work as well.

And Castelli. I'm near the proportions of the OP(my girth is in the thighs, shoulders and chest). PI, LG and Castelli all work well for me.

MilanoTom
09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I know they're not hip but I and a couple of other folks here have good luck with Performance shorts and bibs.

We're close in size: I'm 5 foot 6 and 147 pounds. The size medium bibs from Performance fit well and are very high quality.

give 'em a try. If they fit right you'll have a bunch of $$$ left over to spend on other goodies.

That's a darned good idea. If they don't fit right, I can always give 'em to an unhip friend. On the other hand, if they do fit right, I won't care whether they're hip or not.

Thanks.
Tom

SimonC
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Whilst we're on the topic:

I'm 6ft 3in, about 155lbs. A 30" waist. Normally I take a size small bibshort - perhaps I've just got used to a small amount of pull when standing up, but anything larger just bunches up around the chamois when I'm seated on the bike.

I'm in the process of ordering some Boure shorts based on forum reccommendations, but I was just wondering what size, weight and Boure short size people were?

thejen12
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
That's a darned good idea. If they don't fit right, I can always give 'em to an unhip friend.
If they don't fit right, you can return them. Performance has an unconditional satisfaction guarantee. I've returned shorts there before that I just couldn't get to work for me.

Jenn

Climb01742
09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Whilst we're on the topic:

I'm 6ft 3in, about 155lbs. A 30" waist. Normally I take a size small bibshort - perhaps I've just got used to a small amount of pull when standing up, but anything larger just bunches up around the chamois when I'm seated on the bike.

I'm in the process of ordering some Boure shorts based on forum reccommendations, but I was just wondering what size, weight and Boure short size people were?

given your height, perhaps ask boure to sow you a custom pair of shorts, which they will do. your weight suggests a medium but your height may require large shoulder straps. for reference, i'm 5'11"/150 and boure medium fits me well, but i'd worry that you'd find the straps too short.

davids
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Another vote for the Performance shorts, specifically the Elite bibs. I think I paid $50 this spring, buying two pairs (I've got a total of 4 now.) I think it's an 8 panel design, well-cut and comfortable. I also like the simplicity of the pad, which is just thick/thin enough for me.

And like Jenn said, Performance has an unconditional return policy. I returned a saddle after riding it for a month, and they refunded my money, no questions asked.

imm
09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Was it a Terry Gel saddle, because I think I got it. :( Watch out for that with Performance.

davids
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Was it a Terry Gel saddle, because I think I got it. :( Watch out for that with Performance.
Nah - A Selle Italia Flite.

Most people love them. I found that Selle Italia's shape just doesn't work for me. Terry's are better, but give me Selle San Marco/Fizik...

regularguy412
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm 5 ft 8 in and 167 lbs. Wear 33 waist Dockers and usually take a Medium jersey and bibs. I've found that the Descente Aero-X medium bibs with the Strata chamois fits perfectly. I have a few really old Pearl jerseys in medium that fit perfectly, too.

I recently purchased a Pearl jersey Medium and it hangs off me ,, seems to fit like the 'old' larges used to. Conversely, I also recently purchased a kit sporting the LBS logos. It's made by Hincapie Sports. The Hincapie stuff runs WAYY smaller than either the Pearl or Descente. I managed to get into the Hincapie medium shorts, but had to size up to large for the jersey. It's great stuff, but sure does fit funny. If you have 'any' lats or shoulders, have to go at least one size larger in Hincapie. Pearl shorts seem to fit 'OK', but the pad is a bit 'diaper-ish', to me.

Seems like different companies are doing their own things with regard to sizing. Pearl seems to have gone for the 'American' market ( larger actual sizes and labeling it the smaller size). Hincapie, OTOH, seems to have taken the true Euro-sizing approach. To me, Descente is the only one of the three that has maintained their sizing over the years. I've never owned Assos or DeMarchi, so I can't speak to those. Haven't owned Giordana or Cannondale in a number or years, either.

Mike in AR