PDA

View Full Version : experience, recollections about Specialized Carbon Epic frame?

eddief
07-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Do any of you have knowledge or experience with this relatively old style carbon frameset with aluminum lugs? Would it ride anything like a modern carbon frame? Were they any good?

Dr. Doofus
07-07-2004, 12:56 AM
they were crap. had one for four months (1990) and gave it back to the shop...it was cracked...rode the rest of the season on a steel Specialized...the next year we were on Treks, which I thought were better bikes, even if they were AL

on a side note: one LBS is operated by a goofy cat who always has a story about some trackie. according to said goofer, there was a certain British-born, california-based kilo expert (lets call him Mr. Grommit) who kept snapping Epics in 1990, and who eventually had a Serotta built for him with sleeved steel tubes (one heated up and pounded down into the other) that he raced on for as long as he was sponsored by the other "S" company....

Not knowing anything about metallurgy or frame building, is sleeving tubes even possible? any truth to this tale of a steel S cloaked as a carbon "S"????? Or is my guy (god bless him every time he works on my bikes for free) full of crap????

caffeine power
07-07-2004, 06:47 AM
I had a Centurion Carbon back in '89...it had slightly smaller diameter tubes than the Epic but wasn't plagued by defects at the lug/tube interface. It did have a problem with the forkblade/crown interface but it was a Kinesis or some such fork...it was cured by a Prestige tubed fork (steel be real) It was a nice frame that rode well under my ~150# (then) and I can't say it held me back from winning anything...that would be my fault. I raced against guys from Richardson Bike Mart (dallas) that had the Epics. They rarely complained but they did jump at the chance to move to larger tubed Treks (2100,2300,2500). It's been since '96 that I've ridden an OCLV or Kestrel frame to give you a comparison...but they ride very differently...which is open to one's own interpretation.

max_powers
07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Mushy alum fork was a problem. So was BB flex. But comfort and lightness was there, have a 58x57cm, 74x74 if interested. Makes a nice commuter/town bike.

Dekonick
07-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Crap Crap Crap.

They suck.

I had one and it cracked (specialized gave me a new frame that I sold to a friend.)

Not only that but talk about a flexy frame - wishy washy - wet noodle - etc.

caffeine power
07-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Crap Crap Crap.

They suck.

I had one and it cracked (specialized gave me a new frame that I sold to a friend.)

Not only that but talk about a flexy frame - wishy washy - wet noodle - etc.

good summary :beer:

Serotta PETE
07-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Dekonick, was right to the point.....I like that! (and it was very factual).

They were garbage then and I assure you have not gotten better with age.

Many other choices out there, don't even waste your time if someone "gives" you the frame.