PDA

View Full Version : Not that far but far for me

tab123
09-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Recognizing it is nothing compared to the PBP stories on the forum, I rode 61 miles yesteday, which is my longest ride yet. I also rode 51 miles on Saturday and a SLOW 20-mile recovery ride on Sunday. Not too bad for a woman in her mid-40s.

After at least 10 years without touching a bike, I started riding again about 2 years ago. I started with a hybrid, then went to a cross bike, and now have a Serotta Legend Ti (my baby). Cycling has enabled me to feel the joy in athletics that I last felt in my early 20s (when I stopped playing soccer due to injuries and growing older and all the pressures that come with that).

The forum has been a great source of inspiration so thank you to all of you.

I am looking forward to completing my first century - if not in 2007, then in 2008!

jcmuellner
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Sometimes my favorite rides are those that go just a few miles around town, riding places I might not usually visit and just feeling the sheer joy of gliding quietly along.

Keep riding, it only gets better with time...

Jon

imp25rs
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
That is good to hear. I made it 55 miles Saturday after taking 10 years off and riding again for 3 months. I didn't have the energy for a recovery ride.

Fixed
09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Sometimes my favorite rides are those that go just a few miles around town, riding places I might not usually visit and just feeling the sheer joy of gliding quietly along.

Jon
+1
good job make goals (dreams) they can come true imho
cheers :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Those rides you did are "outstanding". You have come a long way and are an inspiration to all other riders. :no: do not sell yourself short.

Glad you are enjoying the FORUM = there are lots of wonderful people on here. Additionally the vast majority are only an e-mail away for advice, friendship, or even a glass of wine (Tom where is that bottle you owe me)

You rode more miles than I did this weekend. A few years ago, FLydhest and his lovely wife came down to NC for her first century. WE had quite a party afterwards...Depending on where you live (chicago? is a short plane ride), we can always have another CENTURY party.

PETE

rwsaunders
09-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Hats off to you Tab.

DarrenCT
09-04-2007, 09:03 PM
i totally agree.

fresh air > *

Jon

konstantkarma
09-04-2007, 09:22 PM
A metric century is nothing to sneeze at. Wheeze at maybe... :D

SPOKE
09-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Those rides you did are "outstanding". You have come a long way and are an inspiration to all other riders. :no: do not sell yourself short.

Glad you are enjoying the FORUM = there are lots of wonderful people on here. Additionally the vast majority are only an e-mail away for advice, friendship, or even a glass of wine (Tom where is that bottle you owe me)

You rode more miles than I did this weekend. A few years ago, FLydhest and his lovely wife came down to NC for her first century. WE had quite a party afterwards...Depending on where you live (chicago? is a short plane ride), we can always have another CENTURY party.

PETE
you were ready to party! i did the century with them (got them lost too). i was ready to drop dead after a 123 mile century :no:

Len J
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
don't lose the fun!

Len

Sandy
09-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Recognizing it is nothing compared to the PBP stories on the forum, I rode 61 miles yesteday, which is my longest ride yet. I also rode 51 miles on Saturday and a SLOW 20-mile recovery ride on Sunday. Not too bad for a woman in her mid-40s.

After at least 10 years without touching a bike, I started riding again about 2 years ago. I started with a hybrid, then went to a cross bike, and now have a Serotta Legend Ti (my baby). Cycling has enabled me to feel the joy in athletics that I last felt in my early 20s (when I stopped playing soccer due to injuries and growing older and all the pressures that come with that).

I am looking forward to completing my first century - if not in 2007, then in 2008!

That is really impressive. Quite an accomplishment since you started riding again just 2 years ago. I have yet to do a 61 mile ride this year. Haven't even done a 51 mile ride...close...but not 51 miles. You call your Legend Ti your baby. Not only have you accomplished a great deal in a very short time, you have a wonderful bike to do it with. You must be proud. Deservedly so!!

Sandy

Sandy
09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
I am trying to get my daughter to invite me to Chicago. If so, I will contact you and maybe we can do a century together. You do 85 miles and I will do 15 and we can say that we did a century together. :)

Super Slick Serotta Sandy

SayHey
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I rode 61 miles yesteday, which is my longest ride yet. I also rode 51 miles on Saturday and a SLOW 20-mile recovery ride on Sunday ...
I am looking forward to completing my first century - if not in 2007, then in 2008! Great job! You're closer than you might think to that century, especially if you did 61/21/51 over the 3-day weekend. Enjoy the journey.

bnewt07
09-05-2007, 03:19 AM
I found that once I was riding 50-60 miles on a fairly regular basis that increasing to 100 or so was relatively easy. Provided you remember to eat/drink and pace yourself sensibly your first century may not be that far away.....

Keep it up!

Kevan
09-05-2007, 06:39 AM
and a mile century is, where with 61 miles you come to the end of the ride just as your body begins to protest, you will have to endure two more protests whilst trying to complete the 100. You can do it!

znfdl
09-05-2007, 07:30 AM

Excellent job and glad you saddle time is enjoyable.

tab123
09-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Jon

I do those rides too. I love running errands on my townie and then meandering around the side streets. This weekend it was about the miles AND enjoying the scenery and wildlife (a beaver, a huge red-tailed hawk, numerous gold finches, and lots of turkey vultures).