PDA

View Full Version : OT: Info. on Anniversary Eddy Merckx Frames!

amg
07-06-2004, 10:47 PM
yo,

Well, according to Competitive Cyclist, the new (25th is it?) Annversary Eddy Merckx frames will be a LUGGED :banana: MX Leader frame set with Motorola team paint. Only 100 will be built and each signed by the cannibal himself! Remember when I said this winter that I had a feeling these anniversary frames would be lugged steel? Who's your daddy, who's your daddy, who's your daddy, ...? :)

Here's the link:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW

Antonio

Dr. Doofus
07-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Motorola paint was pretty, but that seems like a weak sellout to the short-attention-span-no-cycling-history U.S. market...I and I mean, how "Eddy" was Motorola? Might as well be Telekom or 80s Panasonic or Hitachi.

Should have been Faema. They've already brought in enough Molteni ones.

bostondrunk
07-07-2004, 10:22 AM
You could always order a custom MX Leader with motorolla paint anyway (like from www.bikyle.com) for roughly 1500...

amg
07-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Agreed, Merckx will have to do something really special with the anniversary frame in order to justify it's likely higher cost and to assure that it sells. I don't think a limited production run, his actual signaure on the bike and dated paint graphics (Motorola) will be enough to do it, but I am excited that at least it will be a lugged steel Merckx. Personally, I think they should come up with an entirely new paint scheme for this bike and embellish the lugs a bit. We'll see.

Antonio

Marron
07-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Gee, one color no chrome, or the classic rainbow scheme.

I think the market has seen a lot (relatively) of orange MX-leaders in the past year so that wouldn't be very special at all. I have no idea what Merckx would upcharge for the Motorola paint but I've never heard of one ever.

All I know is that now eveyone will think I'm riding a aniversary knockoff. Bummer.

BarryG
07-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Eddy ain't actually signing the bikes.

"Each frame will come with a serialized certificate autographed by the Cannibal himself, attesting to the authenticity and rarity of the frame"

Todd Owen
07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
the upcharge for the motorola color was $100 last year. the decals are painted on so they are not exact to the original frames but still beautiful. the best deal is a corsa 01 frame custom painted for about $1400

Dr. Doofus
07-08-2004, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=Marron]Gee, one color no chrome, or the classic rainbow scheme.
QUOTE]

classic only if you live in the U.S. and remember Motorola...the 80s Panasonic frames, the Weinmann frames, and the Hitachi frames in '88 all had cooler color combos....

this sucks...an easy way for them to throw some Leaders on the US market at an upcharge because of a slip of paper with the frame

boo

a nice bike would have been something with shaped/cutout lugs, and done in one of the paintjobs of Eddy's teams (not one that his kid rode for...sheesh...his kid rode as a stagiare for Telekom, when they were on Merckx frames, but that doesn't make the pink/black/white rainbow paintjob "Eddy")...since they've done so many Molteni, do a Faema..classic and simple...the cut lugs would make it special....wonder what, if anything, he's doing for the Euro market instead....

Climb01742
07-09-2004, 07:31 AM
agree...this sucks...pretty darn lame. i got a 10-year-old mx leader, motorola colors, in very condition on ebay for $500...why on earth would i pay at least a grand more for basically the same thing? come on, eddy, you can do better than this...

OldDog
07-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Last fall I snagged a '97 NOS MXL off ebay for 800 bucks. It's a truely fine riding cycle, which for me anyway, evokes a goofy feeling of being a Belgum hardman, it inspires me (I do have a pretty hard beer gut). But it is still a production frame, made in (?) Belgum? I heard Italy? Doesn't matter as I said, it's a fine riding bike. But Eddy probably never touched it unless it was in his way while sashying across the production floor. I would only be interested in an anniversary Eddy if something about the frame was "him", more so than a paint job or piece of paper. And then only at a resonable price beyond his standard MXL. My vote is for a true, Eddy designed paint job, hand signed and clear coated over, maybe with a subtle anniversary graphic. Not Faema - Moltini, as these cycles were of Colnago/DeRosa origin. Correct me if I am wrong about that.