PDA

View Full Version : Boston Cycling Information

davids
09-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I received this e-mail today, and wanted to pass this on to fellow Boston-area riders. It looks like the Mayor's enthusiasm is beginning to prompt some work...
Dear Boston Area Cycling Friends,

Please help us learn more about cyclists and cycling in Boston.

The City of Boston is hoping to gather information on your riding habits to use as a guide when updating and evaluating cycling routes, lanes, rack disbursements, etc. We hope you will help us gather information on where you ride by tracking your rides through Boston.

Everyone who rides a bicycle within or to/from Boston proper can participate. We want commuters, racers, recreational riders, families, and even people who exercise once a year to help us… All ages are welcome. We especially want people who live, work or ride through East Boston, Dorchester, Roxbury, Charlestown and Allston/Brighton.

To participate, we will ask you to go on-line and track an actual day of riding for us using a website we have created. We want you to record exactly where you biked on this given ride.

If you have passed through Boston anytime on a ride today, please start today. Otherwise, please record the very last or very next day that you pass through Boston on a ride. We want to see both weekend and weekday activity. And, feel free to record multiple days of riding.

Directions are below. Please forward this email other cyclists as you wish. If you have questions, please contact Amy McGuire, 617-918-4343, Amy.Mcguire.bra@cityofBoston.gov. If you have difficulty with the online mapping, please let us know and we can mail you a map.

Thank you for your assistance. We sincerely appreciate your help in making Boston a great place for cyclists and pedestrians.

Sincerely,

Nicole Freedman
City of Boston
Hub On Wheels

Instructions for Tracing Routes

It should just take you a minute or two to map your routes. You have my word. Please note, if you rode twice in a day (for example morning commute to work; afternoon commute home) please map each leg as a separate ride.

1. Go to: http://maps.google.com/
2. Click Sign in located in the upper right corner
3. Login with the following information
o Username: bikeboston
o Password: bikesurvey
If you are already signed in with a personal gmail account, please logout and re-sign in using the above information.
4. Click the My Maps tab located under “Google”.
5. Click the Create New Map button located under the My Maps tab.
6. An input box will appear.
o In the Title box, please write your full name, date of ride, and start time of the first one-way leg of your ride.
 Example: John Doe, 8/14, 5:45 AM.
o In the Description box, please write a current email address and the purpose of the ride, i.e. commute to job, errands, social, fun/exercise, work (messenger, courier)
 Example: johndoe@AOL.com, commute to work.
7. You are now ready to trace your route.
o To Zoom in, click “+”
o To Start, single click the image in the upper left corner of the map. Single click on the map location corresponding to your ride origin.
o To Change directions, single click along the intersections.
o To Finish double click on the map location corresponding to destination.
o To Edit after saving, hover the “hand” symbol over the route. When the route appears click and click once where you want to make edits.
8. After double clicking, an input box will appear. Please enter the reason you chose this route (i.e. most direct, most scenic, fewest cars, safest…) and/or anything else you want to share with us.
9. Click the Save button.
10. If you rode twice in the day, please go to #5 above and repeat to trace the second or return ride.

Nicole Freedman
Director of Development
Boston Digital Bridge Foundation
One City Hall Square, Suite 932
Boston, MA 02201
617.918.4456 (office)
617.429.8440 (cell)
Nicole.Freedman.bra@CityofBoston.gov

Bill Bove
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Bunch of liberal weenies, trying to save the planet by riding a bike. What are you going to do when it rains? Money and time would be better spent making the green line nuculeah powered.

DRZRM
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
For what it's worth, I filled it out. Thanks Dave, when are we going mountain biking?

stevep
09-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Bunch of liberal weenies, trying to save the planet by riding a bike. What are you going to do when it rains? Money and time would be better spent making the green line nuculeah powered.

i just realized that you are right for the first time.
i sold all my bikes and bought a harley,
freakin' beautiful. and you dont have to pedal it.
bought a hummer for when its raining.

Bruce K
09-04-2007, 07:53 PM
pooch -

Does that mean you'll now be motorpacing Team Serotta Forumites (v2.0) at Hub on Wheels?

:bike: :banana: :banana:

BK

stevep
09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
pooch -

Does that mean you'll now be motorpacing Team Serotta Forumites (v2.0) at Hub on Wheels?

:bike: :banana: :banana:

BK

i can use a moped for that.
trust me.
mebbe ill show up w/ the ccb moped...get the last laugh.