PDA

View Full Version : Radial lacing on Campy hubs

dvancleve
09-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Howdy folks.

I am about to buy a crazy cheap (I think) pair of used wheels that are radially laced everywhere but rear drive side which is 3x. They are 32 spoke front and rear with recent but not current Record hubs. A few years ago I built a set of wheels on the previous generation Chorus hubs and I think I remember the little pamphlet saying radial lacing voided any warranty and was not recommended. I don't have the wheels in my hands yet (tonight), but the spokes don't look butted in the pictures I have seen. If they are not, and radial lacing is really not a great idea, I may redo the wheels. If I do, I will probably do 2x front and 3x/2x rear using Sapim Race spokes. I am heavy, about 210 hoping for 190 or so in the next 6 months. Thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. Rims are FiR Zenith, similar to Open Pros but a bit beefier IMHO.

Gothard
09-03-2007, 01:06 PM
I have used 28 and 32 hole front Record hubs with radial spokes, never had a problem.
I am now reverting to cross 2 for confort and looks (a '78 Sachs with radial...).

Fixed
09-03-2007, 03:11 PM
sprinter's noodle imho bro cheers :beer:

weiwentg
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
there would be no point re-lacing the hubs. I understand that once you use one lacing pattern, it wears the flange such that it's best to use the same pattern when you re-use the hub. you might be more likely to break the flange if you relaced.

Alexi
09-03-2007, 04:00 PM
there would be no point re-lacing the hubs. I understand that once you use one lacing pattern, it wears the flange such that it's best to use the same pattern when you re-use the hub. you might be more likely to break the flange if you relaced. nah you can relace the spokes if you want, it's the spokes that you don't want to re-use in other patterns.

so the hubs are not supposed to be laced radialy, but plenty of people do and live. as to the warenty it's allready void if you are the second owner.

csm
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
probably couldn't use spokes that were radial laced in a cross pattern anyway. they'd be short.

RPS
09-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Thoughts?I heed manufacturer's recommendations and warnings, and I'm a lot lighter than you. I've also seen the cracked flange of a radial wheel, and it's not something I'd personally risk.

I'd also be a little concerned about not knowing the total history as it relates to possible fatigue -- like rider size, miles on the wheel, accidents, whether rider rides light or heavy, etc... But that's just me; safety comes first.

dvancleve
09-03-2007, 04:53 PM
So to clarify, these are $65 so I can't go too far wrong ;^) If I were to relace, it would be with new Sapim Race 14/15g spokes. As far as the different pattern putting a new/different stress on the flange, it is my belief that if the pull is the same general direction it isn't so bad. You don't want the spoke pulling the complete opposite direction on say a 3x or 4x laced hole one the drive side where the spoke has really bitten into the hub. I would think it also depends on how much the elbow has notched into the hub. Sometimes for whatever reason the hubs aren't marked much. Since these are 3x on the rear drive side, that would stay the same so no worries there. the rear non-DS is pretty low tension and I would probably do 2x, and the front is moderate tension and would also be 2x. I think it would probably be fine. Another options would be relacing the way they are but with 14/17g spokes which are more elastic and thus put less stress on the hub flanges. It probably makes the most sense though to leave them alone if they seem okay...

Doug

Update: I got them tonight and they don't look much used. The spokes are butted, I think they are those Ritcheys that have the very gradual taper, and the nipples are alloy. They are pretty much true and round, so they shall stay as they are for now :^)