PDA

View Full Version : OT My son wants a dog

bigbill
09-03-2007, 02:44 AM
My almost eight year old son wants a dog now that we have a house in Washington State. Our yard is about 1.6 acres with an invisible fence and heavy forest. We are not interested in a pure breed and intend to look at shelters and SPCA for our new dog. Anything we get will be a mix, but is there any certain breed mix to avoid for kids? We want a medium to large dog since our area has cougars, bobcats, bears, and packs of raccoons. A lapdog would probably get carried off by a bald eagle. The dog would be indoors most of the time. Suggestions?

Bruce K
09-03-2007, 04:45 AM
We have a Shepherd mix that was part of a puppy mill rescue. He was/is wonderful with our son while he was growing up and is still very protective of any kids he encounters.

The only problem with him is that he would probably try to play with the cougars and such.

We once had a Labrador mix that was just the best when I was a kid.

I would avoid Doberman, or other more aggresive breeds.

Sandy is probably the best person to answer this one.

BK

Kevan
09-03-2007, 07:06 AM
I would generally avoid, because they tend to perfer adult company, they ain't cuddlers. Personally I'm not too hot about shepards and the like, but that's me and my past experiences. I think a Heinz 57 is the perfect fit. I'd also aim to find a female as they are less likely to roam and more likely to listen to you. It does sound like you need a beast that can handle a beast too. Are porcupine in your hood too? Best be careful with them critters, dogs love'm because they're slow and easy OUCH!...to try...OUCH!...and...OUCH!...bother.

Have fun.

DarrenCT
09-03-2007, 07:13 AM
terriers are agressive little runts. avoid when possible.

Chris
09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I think they are a maligned breed. I have one and couldn't be happier with her behavior around my now 7 and 4 year old girls. She is protective and very gentle with the other kids in the neighborhood. People are intimidated by her and that is what I wanted, but her bark is much much worse than her bite. Some of the women in the neighborhood who run, even come over to borrow her if their runs are going to put them out after dusk. She is always up for a run and happily complies. The American Doberman no longer has the disposition of the German Doberman which was very aggressive.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I know that you aren't looking for a pure breed.

BoulderGeek
09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't know much, if anything, about dogs and breeds.

From my personal experience and for my interests, though, a female Golden or Lab is just about the world's most perfect dog: affectionate, intelligent, quiet, active.

After knowing Poppy (see avatar), I couldn't imagine another type of dog. Just sayin', works for me.

djg
09-03-2007, 08:30 AM
What's with all the terrier hatin'? We have a Wheaten mix (I gather it's not a pure bred Wheaten, but it looks and acts like a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier) and a miniature Schauzer, and they do bark when anybody approaches the house, but they're friendly dogs and are very good with our kids (ages 10, 5, and 5).

As for the original post, bigbill seems to have the yard for a larger dog and a desire to avoid lap dogs (although I wouldn't class most terriers in that category at all), so I might think of a retriever or a shepherd or maybe a standard poodle. A mixed breed certainly can be a great dog and a mix or pure bred dog from a shelter can be a great dog and it's nice to give a home to a dog that needs it. One thing to take into account is that the behavior you see at the shelter may not be a great indicator of a dog's personality in other settings. There are people on the board far more knowledgeable than I am about screening, and getting over that hurdle, but it is something to acknowledge in your search.

1centaur
09-03-2007, 08:47 AM
" In defense of Dobermans
I think they are a maligned breed."

+1000.

I have had a lot of dogs and our Doberman is the best by far in my life - smart, obedient, loving, beautiful, athletic, etc. Their reputation reflects the fact that they were created (by Doberman) to be sort of a superdog and thus they are breedable in either direction - sharp/dangerous or more like mine. Responsible breeders (of which there are many) have indeed focused on the positive aspects and so you will find many very enthusiastic Doberman owners. Unscrupulous breeders who breed for size and toughness have created the fear factor even though other breeds tend to show up on bite incident lists more (Poodles and St. Bernards on the last list I saw).

To get back to the thread topic - dogs very much reflect their breeding, and if you avoid purebreds you can have no insight into that important factor. It may be that mongrels blend tendencies enough that you won't get too much of any bad trait, but if you are trying to skew the odds I'd want a little golden retriever or lab showing (given your size requirements) as those are the two breeds I can pretty much count on not chasing my bike when I ride by their yard.

pale scotsman
09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Our local shelter recommended against a Chow mix when we went looking. We ended up with a female Collie/Shepard mix and couldn't be happier. She's great with kids and smaller animals, even cats, but as soon as a big dog comes around she's very protective and territorial. As for humans, she'd open the door and let 'em in if she could...

michael white
09-03-2007, 09:27 AM
lab mutt.

mix it with anything, the lab part keeps it real.

roadiegirl
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
There are tons of lab mixes in most shelters. They are great with kids, mostly. You should probably get one that's not a puppy, 'cause puppies are so playful they might accidentally hurt your son with his sharp teeth.

Don't get a Chow mix, I've seen lots of them put down because they bit a kid.

Your son is so lucky to be getting a dog. Dogs are way cool!! :)

Len J
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
try to understand the level of socialization that has already occured with both other dogs and with humans. Obviously, the younger the dog the more upside there is in this area.

Dogs that don't get along with other dogs are a PITA. Most (though not all) terriers that I've interacted with do not play well with other dogs....hence some of the comments above (I think).

When dogs are let loose (Noticible in 3rd world countries) the average Mutt that evolves is around 40 lbs with short hair and is usually dominated by dark tan coloring. The reason I bring this up is that if you want something bigger, you are going to be looking for a mutt that comes directly (1st or 2nd generation) from a pure bred sire or dam.

Depending on size you want, I would look for the following breed characteristics (in terms of disposition, shapes, etc.) intermixed with whatever other breed it crossbred with:

40 to 80 lb; Lab, Golden,

80 to 120 lbs; Big lab or golden, newfie, bouvier, Dane.

I'd stay away from anything with doberman, shepard, rottweiler etc in it, not because they can not be wonderful breeds when bred and raised properly, rather it's because the one's that tend to cross breed (becaause they are running loose) tend to be the lesser trained &/or bred for agressivness (it's a probability issue....I've had a doberman that was wonderful, so I know they can be great dogs)

Lastly, check with your homeowners insurance carrier before you decide on the final dog. Many companies have a list of breeds (which also translates into breed characteristics) that they either won't insure or will only insure if you pay for a more expensive rider.

at the end of the day, you need to decide on size, long or short hair, highly active, and mildly active or lethargic, disposition with other dogs and humans. That will narrow your search.

All that being said, be prepared for your son to fall in love with one particular dog.....and more likely than not, it won't fit your research.

len

Banjers51
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Have to agree with both Boulder Geek and Michael White about labs and/or lab mixes, although I'm also a huge Golden fan. Unfortunately all too many of the latter now suffer the results of over-breeding: hips, cancer, bad teeth. After losing two to congenital problems we moved over to labs. Wonderful personalities and great with kids. We've had purebreds, but I wouldn't hesitate with a good mix.

Banjers51
"Putcher fangers on the strangs" E. Scruggs

ti_boi
09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
terriers are agressive little runts. avoid when possible.

Ah................westies rule! Smart, cudly, fun.....best breed imho.

Mine are 14--they don't live that long without good care and lots of love.....P.S. Invisible fences can be a death sentence for a dog....offering no protection from other predatory animals -- hate them with a passion.

ThasFACE
09-03-2007, 10:24 AM
+1 for a lab mutt. I had one as a kid and she was great.

bigbill
09-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Thank you everyone.

big shanty
09-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Dogs to never own:

-->Sheba
-->Akita
-->Chow

dvancleve
09-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Making a list of breeds to NEVER own is silly. There are fantastic dogs in every breed, you need to evaluate the individual dogs. There are certainly breeds that you need to take owning more seriously than others, but a lot if bites are from the "friendly" breeds. All dogs need to be socialized and taught to behave...

Doug

P.S. To the original poster, I would think carefully about desired activity level. There are dogs/breeds that can/like to be active, and there are others that MUST/demand to be active. If you aren't up for keeping one of them busy, somebody will end up unhappy.

Dogs to never own:

-->Shiba
-->Akita
-->Chow

TACSTS
09-03-2007, 02:03 PM
First, I've got to stick up for Terriers. We've had Westies in my family longer than I've been alive, and I currently have a Jack Russell. All have been very friendly to other dogs and didn't fight amongst each other. My Jack would lick a child to death but that's another story.

Best Mutt combo: Labrador and Australian Shepherd. We had an Aussie when I was younger and the neighbor had a Lab....anyhow we wound up with a litter and kept 3 (We have a 100+ acre farm). Awesome dogs. Look a lot like a lab, but with a slightly lighter build. Smart as a whip (like the Aussie) and very friendly (the Lab).

Bottom line, it's not the breed that matters, it's how they've been trained and raised.

Len J
09-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Making a list of breeds to NEVER own is silly. There are fantastic dogs in every breed, you need to evaluate the individual dogs. There are certainly breeds that you need to take owning more seriously than others, but a lot if bites are from the "friendly" breeds. All dogs need to be socialized and taught to behave...

Doug

P.S. To the original poster, I would think carefully about desired activity level. There are dogs/breeds that can/like to be active, and there are others that MUST/demand to be active. If you aren't up for keeping one of them busy, somebody will end up unhappy.

that individual dogs acn have very individual characteristics that are atypical for the breed, the probability of getting a dog with the opposite characteristics from the breed is pretty low. For instance, getting a Chow that is not inherently extremely territorial where it comes to other dogs is a pretty low probability. Hence I think the general breed characteristics are usually (though not always) a good indicator of behavior. This is especially important for someone that is a first time owner or not really into major training efforts (which unfortunatly is most dog owners.

YMMV

Len

cadence90
09-03-2007, 02:57 PM
My almost eight year old son wants a dog now that we have a house in Washington State. Our yard is about 1.6 acres with an invisible fence and heavy forest. We are not interested in a pure breed and intend to look at shelters and SPCA for our new dog. Anything we get will be a mix, but is there any certain breed mix to avoid for kids? We want a medium to large dog since our area has cougars, bobcats, bears, and packs of raccoons. A lapdog would probably get carried off by a bald eagle. The dog would be indoors most of the time. Suggestions?
Bill,
Have you ever adopted a shelter dog before?
I think you don't need all this breed-specific info (while there are some suggestions here) when adopting a shelter dog. There will be lots of variety, not much real knowledge of the parents/lineage in most cases, very few "facts" available. So, go by feel.

1) Find a good shelter or two in your area.
2) Go there with your ideas about size, some basic knowledge regarding breed characteristics, and perhaps desires re: gender.
3) Take your son if you feel like that's a good idea.
4) Look, listen, watch, interact with the dogs. Several times.
5) Your dog will make itself known to you. You'll feel it. Trust me.
6) Rely on #5.

Many pet food stores have free adoption newspapers at the check-out counter, listing the dogs in the various area shelters, some with photos and brief descriptions.

Have fun!

Fixed
09-03-2007, 03:19 PM
bro go to the pound and get the dog that really want's to come home with you cats ( take the whole family ) imho cheers :beer:

Kevan
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
have ruinned my enjoyment of dogs, probably forever. But if I ever do get another dog again, it will likely be a boxer. My folks have had the best experience with the breed, with talents of that in Lassie herself.

Problems with the pugs: Shed worse than any dog I've ever had, require daily attention to reduce a general sourness and stink, are miserable to walk, spoiled furniture, but are completely and hopeless in love with the family. We love them and treat them royally, but never ever again.

Sandy
09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
have ruinned my enjoyment of dogs, probably forever. But if I ever do get another dog again, it will likely be a boxer. My folks have had the best experience with the breed, with talents of that in Lassie herself.

Problems with the pugs: Shed worse than any dog I've ever had, require daily attention to reduce a general sourness and stink, are miserable to walk, spoiled furniture, but are completely and hopeless in love with the family. We love them and treat them royally, but never ever again.

I am a boxer. Care to do 5-10 rounds? If so let me know so that I can go into training and buy some concrete for my gloves!! :rolleyes: :)

:banana: Smashing Sandy :banana:

Sandy
09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
bro go to the pound and get the dog that really want's to come home with you cats ( take the whole family ) imho cheers :beer:

"Take the whole family." That is critical since the dog will be living with the whole family. Never pick out a dog for someone else. That is like going to a bike store and purchasing a bike for someone without the person who is going to ride the bike. You need that person's input and have the person ride the bike. Similarly, you really need to let your son and others in the family have substantial input.

Sandy

Sandy
09-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Bill,
Have you ever adopted a shelter dog before?
I think you don't need all this breed-specific info (while there are some suggestions here) when adopting a shelter dog. There will be lots of variety, not much real knowledge of the parents/lineage in most cases, very few "facts" available. So, go by feel.

1) Find a good shelter or two in your area.
2) Go there with your ideas about size, some basic knowledge regarding breed characteristics, and perhaps desires re: gender.
3) Take your son if you feel like that's a good idea.
4) Look, listen, watch, interact with the dogs. Several times.
5) Your dog will make itself known to you. You'll feel it. Trust me.
6) Rely on #5.

Many pet food stores have free adoption newspapers at the check-out counter, listing the dogs in the various area shelters, some with photos and brief descriptions.

Have fun!

Great advice above. Al of it. Number 4 shows some real insight. Visit shelters often as "new" dogs keep appearing. The flow into a shelter never ends. If you like a dog, visit it over and over to see it in different situations if possible. Handle it all over if the dog will let you (under supervision!), walk it, observe it, communicate with it, observe how it interacts with you, others, and even dogsl, if it gets close to some.

Often people have certain ideas about what particular breed/mix the want. But as said above, that is not how it turns out very often.

Heed cadence 90. As is said here- He gets it!

Sandy

Sandy
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
that individual dogs acn have very individual characteristics that are atypical for the breed, the probability of getting a dog with the opposite characteristics from the breed is pretty low. For instance, getting a Chow that is not inherently extremely territorial where it comes to other dogs is a pretty low probability. Hence I think the general breed characteristics are usually (though not always) a good indicator of behavior. This is especially important for someone that is a first time owner or not really into major training efforts (which unfortunatly is most dog owners.

YMMV

Len

Within a given breed their are basic similarities, as Len points out, but there often is a great variability of personalities within the breed. Remarkably so.

Chows certainly have certain traits characteristic of the breed- Loyal to its owner, independent, not in your face, intelligent, clean, and to me about the most difficult breed to read often. A have seen chows look at other dogs, communicating almost nothing. It is as if the cogs are moving in its brain, but little else. Then the dog reacts, rather abruptly.

Sandy
09-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Doug

Another excellent psot with excellent analysis, I think. Yep- You must "evaluate the individual dogs." "all dogs need to be socialized and taught to behave" So tue. One problem with shelter dogs sometimes, is that the dogs have not been socialized during the critical time when the dog is young. It is remarkable how poorly trained so many dogs are that are given up at a shelter. Some know almost no commands. Consider a large and strong breed of dog. It is cute as a puppy, but without socialization, with people and dogs, and no or almost no training, it can be a mess when it grows up, and very hard to control. That is why a lot of dogs are given up.

Sandy

Sandy
09-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Dogs to never own:

-->Sheba
-->Akita
-->Chow

Why? Do you mean a Shiba Inu, is I am spelling it correctly? I have seen a great variability of behavior wthin that breed. Akitas and chows can make great pets, but they are certainly not for everyone. Each must clearly know (nmaybe the Akita in particular) precisely where in the hierarchy they are, and it better not be at the top. You need to be there. Akitas are beautiful, intelligent, very strong, and remarkably loyal dogs. Their loyalty is legendary.

Sandy

Sandy
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
try to understand the level of socialization that has already occured with both other dogs and with humans. Obviously, the younger the dog the more upside there is in this area.

Dogs that don't get along with other dogs are a PITA. Most (though not all) terriers that I've interacted with do not play well with other dogs....hence some of the comments above (I think).

When dogs are let loose (Noticible in 3rd world countries) the average Mutt that evolves is around 40 lbs with short hair and is usually dominated by dark tan coloring. The reason I bring this up is that if you want something bigger, you are going to be looking for a mutt that comes directly (1st or 2nd generation) from a pure bred sire or dam.

Depending on size you want, I would look for the following breed characteristics (in terms of disposition, shapes, etc.) intermixed with whatever other breed it crossbred with:

40 to 80 lb; Lab, Golden,

80 to 120 lbs; Big lab or golden, newfie, bouvier, Dane.

I'd stay away from anything with doberman, shepard, rottweiler etc in it, not because they can not be wonderful breeds when bred and raised properly, rather it's because the one's that tend to cross breed (becaause they are running loose) tend to be the lesser trained &/or bred for agressivness (it's a probability issue....I've had a doberman that was wonderful, so I know they can be great dogs)

Lastly, check with your homeowners insurance carrier before you decide on the final dog. Many companies have a list of breeds (which also translates into breed characteristics) that they either won't insure or will only insure if you pay for a more expensive rider.

at the end of the day, you need to decide on size, long or short hair, highly active, and mildly active or lethargic, disposition with other dogs and humans. That will narrow your search.

All that being said, be prepared for your son to fall in love with one particular dog.....and more likely than not, it won't fit your research.

len

The above was obviously written by someone who has both experience and clear wonderful insight into dogs. I woiud read over Len's thread often as it is packed with excellent advice, as a function, clearly, of his personal experience.

I might differ a little on dobermans, rotties, and shepherds. I really like those breeds- Intelligence, loyalty, remarkable talent in almost anything that they tend to do. They are easily trained. But they can never be allowed to be at the top of the family pack. You must be, or else ther could be a great deal of problems. They need to be obedience trained. Each of he above breeds (as all breeds, I guess) were bred for particular reaonjs so it would be resonable to learn about each. Also, as Len pointede out, breeding has not always produced finest representatives- too much cross breeding, inbreeding, and breeding for undesired characteristics. But if you find the right rottie, or doberman, or shepherd (lots of diffeent shepherds), you will have a truly wonderful dog. I had a German Shepherd, King, years ago. A remarkably outstanding dog.

Note- In the above breeds, there are ceratain physical problems often occur, such as hip displasia, which is very common in rotties and shepherds. Each breed has some, but with those breeds that are not so popular and bred much less often, most often not as many. They say that mixed breeds tend not to suffer as much from particular physical problems of the non-mixed breeds.

Yep- Read over what Len has to say. He knows what he is saying!

Saying Sandy

Sandy
09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I would generally avoid, because they tend to perfer adult company, they ain't cuddlers. Personally I'm not too hot about shepards and the like, but that's me and my past experiences. I think a Heinz 57 is the perfect fit. I'd also aim to find a female as they are less likely to roam and more likely to listen to you. It does sound like you need a beast that can handle a beast too. Are porcupine in your hood too? Best be careful with them critters, dogs love'm because they're slow and easy OUCH!...to try...OUCH!...and...OUCH!...bother.

Have fun.

Terriers were bred to hunt little varmits (not big ones like Kevan :) ). They can be tenacious and stubborn and very focused on their goal. That was needed in hunting. But they can be very loyal and even quite affectionate. They have their charm (just like Kevan :rolleyes: ). I would not rule them out. Just understand them. Yes, thy can sometimes be barky, but that varies with the dogs. They have a lot of heart. A whole lot. Neat little critters (some not so litlle). Tough dogs!

Not so tough,

Soft Sandy

urchin
09-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I am going to speak up on behalf of the greyhound because it does seem to fit a lot of your requirements. Certainly will be able to outrun most anything in your yard. Very mellow and docile for their size. Plentiful through any of the greyhound rescue agencies for an extremely modest adoption charge (similar to the fees at the shelters). Because of their upbringing as race dogs they are well trained to walk on a lead and are used to a consistent routine. They are not as susceptible to many large breed problems (ie hip dysplasia) because the race industry regulates the breeding. I have a couple in the house as well as an Irish Setter. All of ours are excellent with children. Just another thought - so many are killed each year I always feel obligated to at least add them to the mix!

Sandy
09-04-2007, 01:08 AM
I am going to speak up on behalf of the greyhound because it does seem to fit a lot of your requirements. Certainly will be able to outrun most anything in your yard. Very mellow and docile for their size. Plentiful through any of the greyhound rescue agencies for an extremely modest adoption charge (similar to the fees at the shelters). Because of their upbringing as race dogs they are well trained to walk on a lead and are used to a consistent routine. They are not as susceptible to many large breed problems (ie hip dysplasia) because the race industry regulates the breeding. I have a couple in the house as well as an Irish Setter. All of ours are excellent with children. Just another thought - so many are killed each year I always feel obligated to at least add them to the mix!

Not to say that you don't know your own dogs, but are you sure the green one with the pink paws is a greyhound? :) THe two that are in the photo are gorgeous. You don't see many Irish Setters in the DC area.

THe original poster mentioned going to a shelter to look for dogs and "not interested in a pure bred" but your suggestion is great. Greyhounds are raced up until the time that they can be productive and then discarded, almost. It use to be much worse. Their living conditions were horrendous, but the racing industry is supposedly better regulated, I think. Greyhound rescue groups do a wonderful job, placing thousands of them. "Very mellow and docile" for their size. If I am correct, they do very well in a small home or even an apartment. Walks suffice and they do not need a great deal of room.

THe most startling thing to me is that you almost never see someone adopt only one greyhound- Maybe initially, but by the time the adopters are finished, 2 is the norm. Speaks highly of the breed. Really laid back, gentle, and mellow.

My daughter took her lab/lab mix to a local dog park when she lived here. I was most impressed by how fast and quickly dogs can run. But the first time I saw a greyhound run in the park, I was really amazed- speed and beauty. That is one dog whose body is made for one purpose- running, and it does it beautifully.

urchin, please correct me in any factual error I have made.

Saluki Sandy

Sandy
09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
First, I've got to stick up for Terriers. We've had Westies in my family longer than I've been alive, and I currently have a Jack Russell. All have been very friendly to other dogs and didn't fight amongst each other. My Jack would lick a child to death but that's another story.

Best Mutt combo: Labrador and Australian Shepherd. We had an Aussie when I was younger and the neighbor had a Lab....anyhow we wound up with a litter and kept 3 (We have a 100+ acre farm). Awesome dogs. Look a lot like a lab, but with a slightly lighter build. Smart as a whip (like the Aussie) and very friendly (the Lab).

Bottom line, it's not the breed that matters, it's how they've been trained and raised.

Aussie (Australian Shepherd) mix with a lab--Now that sounds like w winner, precisely as given above- Super Aussie smart and Super lab nice and affectionate....

" ..it's how they have been trained and raised...' is paramount in importance. I do think breeding does make a differnce, especially if one breeds the wrong dogs for the wrong reasons.

Love those australian shepherds and everyone loves those labs.

Sandy

William
09-04-2007, 05:04 AM
I was brought up with dogs and continued to be a dog person after I moved out of the house so I've had interaction with many breeds and breed mixes. All have been shelter or rescue dogs. Lots of good info so far passed around. Definitely interact with a dog in a shelter a number of times. Take the family, but be careful. I had visited a shelter and found a young Terrier mix that was extremely friendly and well behaved. When I brought the family down, the shelter worker brought him out and he was again very friendly with me, but then lunged at my then seven year old son growling up a storm. Up to that point he had given no indication of that type of aggressive behavior. Even the shelter worker was surprised. This is not a knock on terriers or shelters, we've adopted a number of dogs from shelters with few problems. I'm just saying you've got to do your homework.

Another avenue you might want to consider is Breed rescues. They handle certain breeds and breed mixes. The plus here is that the dogs are fostered in a persons home and are evaluated on their behavior with other dogs, other animals, and with children. If there are issues they will tell you and not adopt a dog into your home if it's not a fit. They want to find the right fit for the dog, and the adoptive family so that the dog finds his forever home with a loving family with the best percentage for success. Very important if you have young children IMHO. They also take care of any medical needs that the dog may have.

Since you have kids, a good sized property, and other animals around, my two choices would be Mastiff or Boxer breeds/mixes. Both are very smart, loyal, protective, and won't be carried off by Eagles. Our Mastiff Eli was always very perceptive and would place himself between our children and anything he perceived could be a threat. He wasn't real vocal, but he always knew what was going on. Bruno, our Boxer is a wonderful loving dog. Has been great with our children, and is very protective. He will back off when we tell him too. He lets us know when there are Deer in the yard, or Gordie Ground hog is milling about. We adopted him from a Boxer Rescue, went through the whole interview process, and ended up with a perfect fit.

Rhea Basset, another rescue is a wonderful dog as well, but being a scent hound has to be watched at all times. If she gets a scent, she's gone. And if a Cougar was around, she'd go hide in the house instead of letting us know what's going on.

Just some thoughts.

William

Hardlyrob
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Definitely consider rescue dogs. There are all kinds of rescues - breed specific, and those that rescue dogs from high kill shelters. The advantage of a rescue dog is that they are often screened for their interaction with people, kids, other dogs, and cats. Ours came from Great Dog Rescue of New England, and she is a delight. The cost is the same, and you can visit the dog in a more natural environment at their foster home before you decide to adopt. Look for a similar group in your area.

Most importantly, as Fixed and Len J. pointed out - you will know when you have found your dog - trust that.

Cheers!

Rob

Sandy
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Definitely consider rescue dogs. There are all kinds of rescues - breed specific, and those that rescue dogs from high kill shelters. The advantage of a rescue dog is that they are often screened for their interaction with people, kids, other dogs, and cats. Ours came from Great Dog Rescue of New England, and she is a delight. The cost is the same, and you can visit the dog in a more natural environment at their foster home before you decide to adopt. Look for a similar group in your area.

Most importantly, as Fixed and Len J. pointed out - you will know when you have found your dog - trust that.

Cheers!

Rob

Excellent points, per usual made by William and by Hardlyrob. I should point out that if you go to a shelter, there are basically two sets of dogs- Give up and strays. You have no background on the stray, but give ups normally have a written form done at the time the dog is brought in, that will tell you a great deal about eh dog, including how it gets along with children, other pets, etc. There are sometimes issues with shelter dogs, ecpecially strays.If you are really concerned aout that issue (rightfully so) you could ask to see a dog in foster care. Often such dogs are living with kids and a lot of other dogs.

I would never purchase from a dog breeder, but that is just me. A competent caring dog breeder produces some of the purist representatives of their particular breed, with certain charateristics bred in and others, hopefully bred out. I would get a dog only at a shelter and/or a breed rescue group. Actually- almost certainly at a shelter. But rescue groups do simply superb work and often get their deserving dogs from shelters.

Pure bred dogs cost more initially but may not as time goes on.

My daughter's dog came from the local shelter. He is a black lab/retriever mix and was a stray. He was there for 2 weeks without an application, except from my daughter. His coat was not pretty! Has the softest mouth of any dog that I have seen. He is a canine good citizen dog and did therapy work at a nursing home. A truly wonderful dog- or should I say two dogs- remarkably gentle, quiet, affectionate, laid back, and absolutely no behavior concerns. Outside a real hunter and stalker- anything smallthat moves, except birds- squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks...He even likes deer to chase (if we let him).

Sandy

Lifelover
09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
While there seems to be some good advise mixed in here, remember that you are on a bycycling forum asking about dogs. Take it all with a grain of salt.

IMO dogs are pack animals and will take on the traits taught by the pack leader. You MUST be the pack leader if you want control of your dog.

Pick any dog that you and your son like and than record and watch every episode of the Dog Whisperer. Ceasar knows what he is doing!

Dogs don't just need to be trained they NEED to be lead.

Sandy
09-04-2007, 09:58 AM
While there seems to be some good advise mixed in here, remember that you are on a bycycling forum asking about dogs. Take it all with a grain of salt.

IMO dogs are pack animals and will take on the traits taught by the pack leader. You MUST be the pack leader if you want control of your dog.

Pick any dog that you and your son like and than record and watch every episode of the Dog Whisperer. Ceasar knows what he is doing!

Dogs don't just need to be trained they NEED to be lead.

I respectfully totally disagree with your premise- "Take it all with a grain of salt." Those who have posted here (and I am not including myself) did it because they obviously care about dogs and have experience with them. Collectively, they have given forth some remarkably excellent info. Being pack leader has been mentioned several times here. I know that I said that probably 3 or more times.

I have seen very little of the Dog Whisperer, but undobtedly he is very good at what he does. I will try to watch it more. I don't know where or when to watch him.

"....Pick any dog you and your son like....." Bottom line is that those who posted on the forum are trying to help make that picking process a good one. Dogs, like people,come sometimes with extra baggage. Some dogs won't work for certain people in certain conditions. You don't want a couple of border colllies for an older couple in a small apartment who don't have the time/energy to find outlets for the breed's needs, for example.

Most importantly, few of us have the ability, I assume, of training dogs as well as the Dog Whisperer. His methodology is but one approach anyway.

Sandy

gt6267a
09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Per Terriers … I have experience with Jack Russel and Wheatons. I find JRs to be pretty yappy, annoying, and generally not all that much fun. They’ll snip at anything and I would agree, they are probably not the best dog for a kid. Did I mention a small dislike for these mini-dogs?

A Wheaton is a completely different beast. They are much larger than a JR. Growing up we had them and the dogs were amazing. Very energetic, soft, and loving. The happiest dogs I have ever met and it's contagious. It was almost impossible to be sad around them. If a dog / breed were to get snippy and have problems with kids, it would have been 5 year old GT and our Wheatons. I didn’t want the dog but he would have none of my displeasure. Anything I did to push the dog away was a game and fun to the Wheaton. Not that I jumped on it’s back and tried to ride the dog like a pony or anything, er maybe I did (hey i was 5, give me a break), but let’s just say this dog was just fine with my antics. They are playful ... They will steal your shoes, but thankfully always deposit them in the same place so it’s never all that hard to find them …

One additional serious benefit to Wheatons … they don’t shed. Most people who have pet allergies are fine with Wheatons. One serious downside … if there is a stranger at the door, they will bark loudly and then stand right behind you when the door opens.

Sandy
12-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Did your son get a dog? If so what breed and where did the dog come from?(Don't mean his mommy and daddy :) ) How is the dog/family doing, asuming that there is a dog in the household?

Sandy Spaniel

wc1934
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
We had a Norfolk terrier for about 10 years - excellent breed
If we were to get another, we would go to the pound and adopt - I hear that greyhounds are very sweet and low maintance

maunahaole
12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I have to agree with what has been said on greyhounds. I have never owned one, just been around a few. They had a very sweet disposition and were generally mellow. When it is go tome, it is GO!!! time, but it normally only lasts a short time and it is in a circle. They can be quite content with walking or jogging as well. Watching one run at full speed, though, is amazing.

girlie
12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
What about a Weimaraner? I grew-up with them and I so miss my dogs.....very caring.

Grant McLean
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Ranks 1 to 10
Brightest Dogs
Understanding of New Commands: Less than 5 repetitions.

Obey First Command: 95% of the time or better.

Rank Breed
1 Border Collie
2 Poodle
3 German Shepherd
4 Golden Retriever
5 Doberman Pinscher
6 Shetland Sheepdog
7 Labrador Retriever
8 Papillon
9 Rottweiler
10 Australian Cattle Dog

My best pal has a wheaton.
dumb as a stick.

-g

DarrenCT
12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5411/roscoe1qy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

maunahaole
12-07-2007, 08:15 PM
If you get a border collie it will reconfigure the wireless fence to keep you in the yard, all while locking a stare on you and herding your entire family into a small area.

bigbill
12-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Did your son get a dog? If so what breed and where did the dog come from?(Don't mean his mommy and daddy :) ) How is the dog/family doing, asuming that there is a dog in the household?

Sandy Spaniel

I just got home two weeks ago from being overseas (Navy). My family moved to Washington State this past summer while I was serving uncle sam over in Italy. Now that I am home we are seriously looking at dogs. There is a rescue shelter run by the parents of one of my son's classmates. They take in dogs from military families that have to go overseas, dogs whose owners have died or can no longer care for them, and recommended dogs from area shelters. We are looking at a medium to large dog since we have roaming dogs and coyotes in our area. We are already down a cat. When we get one I will post some pictures.

bostondrunk
12-08-2007, 03:02 AM
6 words:
basset hound!!!!!

Ken Robb
12-08-2007, 07:34 AM
6 words:
basset hound!!!!!

three more words: they smell bad.

Sandy
12-08-2007, 08:12 AM
3 more words- sweet gentle devoted

Sandy

Ken Robb
12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
3 more words- sweet gentle devoted-true

Well aren't most dogs? But I've known two families who got bassett puppies and were very disturbed when they discovered their dogs got smelly as adults. One went to the shelter and one went to the back yard for good. I hated seeing that so I thought I'd mention it to pals considering different breeds for their families. Heck, we've been getting rain the past couple of days and our 2 Bichons are pretty stinky too.

Sandy,,

Dave B
12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
all of this advice is lame...get a tiger. You didn't see one complaint about them in this thread did you.

Plus besides a big bear, I would think a tiger could beat down the pesky critters you mentioned.

Plus when it passes on, you can make car seats out of the skin.

Or am i wrong on this one? :D

sn69
12-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Glad you're back with the fam, and good luck with the PupEx.

S

HSG Racer
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I had a German Shepherd when I was a child and they are just a beautiful breed. They are hard working and they can be sensitive believe it or not. But, they are not cuddly and they are not for the timid. Here's a bumper sticker that I saw this morning on my way to the store -

"Lord, help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am!"
:D

tiger
12-09-2007, 07:39 AM
all of this advice is lame...get a tiger. You didn't see one complaint about them in this thread did you.:D
My wife might be able to voice a few.

Plus besides a big bear, I would think a tiger could beat down the pesky critters you mentioned:D
Any of 'em...let me at 'em! Bears ain't nothin'!

[QUOTE=Plus when it passes on, you can make car seats out of the skin.:D[/QUOTE]

Now that's gettin' downright personal.

ecl2k
12-09-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/beagle-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/beagle-0580.jpg