PDA

View Full Version : Even mountain bikers have something to watch out for

imp25rs
09-03-2007, 12:05 AM
If the road bikers have to watch out for crazy people in cars, mountain bikers should be aware of the local wildlife.

Mountain biker attacked by bear. (http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_090207WAB_bear_attack_SW.95f46b6a.html)

Kevan
09-03-2007, 06:43 AM
the bear was in the right. I hope this time the sheriff loses his man, er, bear.

toaster
09-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Handlebar mounted bear mace!

imp25rs
09-03-2007, 12:08 PM
the bear was in the right. I hope this time the sheriff loses his man, er, bear.

I always thought it was generally understood that you don't take dogs hiking/biking with you when there are bears or cougars in the area. I have run into bears a few times while mountain biking and never had a problem. Except for the one time we accidentally got between mom and the cub. But even that ended alright.

beungood
09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
What happened?

72gmc
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Saw on the news this morning that law enforcement officials said they're definitely going to put down the bear when/if they catch it. A sow with cubs, just doing what she's s'posed to do. Poor biker had bad timing. Don't see how that makes the bear any more of a threat than she was otherwise, and if you don't catch the cubs too you might as well write them off. Not cool.

Sandy
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Two dogs and a cyclist enter a bear's domain, which might have been a female with her 2 cubs nearby. Humans invading the domain of the wild animal. Hope that they don't find her, Does she deserve to die because she was doing what a bear does? I think not. Error by the human....death to the bear....dosen't seem equitable.

Hope that the man heals well, the other dog is found, and the emotional aspect of it does not do too much harm to the man or the dogs.

I have no idea what it means relative to potential future attacks by the bear because it attacked once. They could always relocate the bear--I think.

Bare Headed Sandy

Sandy

imp25rs
09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Saw on the news this morning that law enforcement officials said they're definitely going to put down the bear when/if they catch it. A sow with cubs, just doing what she's s'posed to do. Poor biker had bad timing. Don't see how that makes the bear any more of a threat than she was otherwise, and if you don't catch the cubs too you might as well write them off. Not cool.

I heard the same thing earlier. When I was on my way home today I heard that they figured out it was a male. Either way, you always have to take into account the wildlife in the area you are riding. Bear sitings were comon in the park.

roadiegirl
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
That's really sad. I hate that the guy got hurt, but I feel sorry for the bear.

Dave B
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Humans as far as I know are one of the only species that rationalize. also they are the only one to become embarassed, but that is not the point.

Placing blame on either the bear or the human is illogical. Nature does not have fault. Nature acts in pureness unfound anywhere else.

I hope the man heals physically and emotionally I really do, but the bear should not be labeled with fault. We humans have no right to put our emotions and rationalizations on other animals. Killing the bear only proves how foolish humans are.

It makes me sick when people hurt animals because they do not behave like WE want them to.

Does it make it right when a human is hurt by another animal. yes it does, because that is how nature works.

If anyone of us lost a friend or family member to an attack I imagine we would want the animal killed. Imagine if any other animal behaved that way.

Probably less hunters in the world!

Ozz
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
...Probably less hunters in the world!

There are fewer (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/03/national/main3228893.shtml?source=RSSattr=U.S._3228893) hunters.....at least in the US.

Regarding "bear bells" and carrying mace....I always liked the saying: "Grizzly bear scat is filled with little bells and smells like mace" :p

I hope the cyclist heals and the bear disappears into the woods. Bears just do what bears do....

csm
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I guess if you want to ride in bear country you should take precautions. I am very religious about one such precaution. I always make sure that at least one other rider is slower than me.