PDA

View Full Version : OT for dog lovers: Miracle on Little River Turnpike

sc53
09-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Just when you can't take any more bad news and horror stories in the paper, along comes a miracle of human kindness and just sheer unbelievable good luck. I swear from now on I will stop thinking so poorly of the human race. Last night my big black Lab Willy, whom I rescued last November from Lab Rescue as a stray, decided to climb out a 7" opening in my car window to go visiting. He was sleeping there in my back seat, as he usually does when it's cool outside and I have a short errand to run. I was in Fairfax, about 13 miles from home. When I returned to my car about an hour later, the back seat was empty.
I was absolutely shocked and searched under the seats and even in the trunk! Then I walked the neighborhood where I was parked, calling his name. It was about 9:30 pm. Several people asked me who I was looking for, but hadn't seen him. His collar tags have my home phone no. on them so I drove home with a very heavy heart. The car was parked in a neighborhood just a few hundred feet from a major divided median roadway, known here as Rt. 236 or Little River Turnpike. If he strayed there I didn't have much hope of seeing him alive again. I headed east on this turnpike to go home to Alexandria when my cell phone rang. It was my animal hospital, telling me someone in Fairfax had driven all the way to the hospital with my dog. They said the good Samaritan reported that Willy had been hit by a car, but a glancing blow, and the vets could not find a mark or abrasion on him, nor any signs of distress or injury. He was behaving normally, active and cheerful. I was headed in the direction of the animal hospital anyway, and arrived there about 25 mins later. The waiting room was crowded with miserable looking people who had had other pet emergencies. It was now about 10 pm. They brought Willy out to see me and he was wagging and happy and ready to go home! No marks of any kind, no limping, no apparent pain or brusing. Just a miracle. He was taken back for xrays and blood work to see if there were any signs of internal bleeding, but he checked out fine and we headed home together around midnight. He hopped right back into his pet hammock in the back seat, where he had exited several hours ago in Fairfax.
The hospital had the name and number of his rescuer and I called her this morning. She has pets too plus kids and says she only hopes anyone who might find one of them in distress would do the same for her. She said she was driving last night on Rt. 236 when she saw this happy looking Lab trotting down THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Traffic stopped and she got out and called him but he had crossed the median and got popped by a car on the other side of the divided highway. She saw him get thrown a little in the air, but hop up, shake himself off, and continue his trot. She called him again and he came to her and hopped into her back seat and she read all his tags and took him to his home animal hospital 12-13 miles away.
Isn't that incredible? Willy clearly has 9 lives and I don't know how many he has used up in his 4 yrs on this earth. Last night was worth 2 at least.
People are good. People are kind. Not just Sandy, but even the Jerk, and maybe even Cheney.
I am a thankful person today. Willy is, as always, happy and oblivious.

ThasFACE
09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear that your puppy is in good shape.

Bart001
09-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Glad you got him back safe! I guess he wanted to go for a stroll without you?

t. swartz
09-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Just yesterday we put my 12 yr old daughter's minature dachshund Daisy to sleep. Her back finally gave out, paralysis was immediate, pain unbearable. We're taking it very hard-she was the most loyal and energetic dog we ever had; always willing to please. Good to read your story-it helped greatly with the healing process.

1centaur
09-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Hard to imagine that guy climbing through a 7" gap, but I guess you should try 5" :)

Len J
09-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Hard to imagine that guy climbing through a 7" gap, but I guess you should try 5" :)

safe and sound....

Len

3chordwonder
09-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, obviously one who leaves a gap large enough for decent ventilation of the car so it doesn't get too hot...

A lab who can wriggle through a 7" gap, that's a houdini style feat. I would have liked to see him do it!

Great to hear a good news story about an animal instead of the usual misery.

cadence90
09-02-2007, 07:45 PM
safe and sound....

but, I have to ask, what kind of owner leaves their dog in an unattended car for an hour in the summer?

Len
What "kind of owner"?? Why so judgmental? :rolleyes:

The OP seems as if he truly loves his dog and cares for it well.
I take my dogs with me wherever I can, with water and ventilation, etc. Many excellent and loving dog owners do.

Amazing story, sc53. I'm happy it all worked out for the best.

OES
09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
What "kind of owner"?? Why so judgmental? :rolleyes:

The OP seems as if he truly loves his dog and cares for it well.
I take my dogs with me wherever I can, with water and ventilation, etc. Many excellent and loving dog owners do.

Amazing story, sc53. I'm happy it all worked out for the best.

Seems to be a lack of ... empathy, I agree.

Len J
09-02-2007, 07:56 PM

Len J
09-02-2007, 07:57 PM

OES
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM
You are right...there is a lack of empathy from many posters.

Unfortunatly, I have personally seen what happens to a dog left in a hot car....even with 7 " of open window......Ya think the dog squeezed himself out because he was comfortable?

I's love to hear what the resuce agency he got the dog from would say if they read that post.

Len

By definition, then, we're talking about ......... Evil!

cadence90
09-02-2007, 08:04 PM
It's not about taking them with you....it's about leaving them in a car for an hour in the summer!

As to caring for his dogs....you & I have a different definition.

Len
Len, man, you're wrecking a nice thread with this negativity, imho.
You don't know the guy or his actions. Perhaps the car was under a tree or other shade. Why post these judmental comments? What's the point? How the hell do you know how he cares for his dog(s)? That's just plain presumptuous.

Jeezus.

I'm just glad he got his dog back, that the dog is OK, that the owner is happy, that the woman committed an icredible act of kindness and grace: I see no place for further opinions.

OES
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
You don't know the guy or his actions. Perhaps the car was under a tree or other shade. Why post these judmental comments? What's the point? How the hell do you know how he cares for his dog(s)? That's just plain presumptuous.

Jeezus.

I'm just glad he got his dog back, that the dog is OK, that the owner is happy, that the woman committed an icredible act of kindness and grace: I see no place for further opinions.

I'm just impressed he's defined and solved a concept so vast it escaped Aquinas to Kierkegaard.

Len J
09-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Jeezus.

Work for a summer sometime with a city animal control, and see the results of "caring" dog owners that leave their amimals in their cars & you might begin to understand my comments.

I think what the women did was great, I applaude it......

As to what i know about how he takes care of his dogs...I only know what he posted.........which is where my comment came from.

Ans under a tree would only extend the danger toime from 15 minutes to 35.....he was gone an hour.

I didn't realize you were the opinion police.

len

roadiegirl
09-02-2007, 08:11 PM
What a great story! I love when people do kind things for animals.

roadiegirl
09-02-2007, 08:12 PM
safe and sound....

but, I have to ask, what kind of owner leaves their dog in an unattended car for an hour in the summer?

Len

Did you miss the part where he said it was cool outside?

Guess so.

OES
09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you miss the part where he said it was cool outside?

Guess so.

The self-help books don't allow for, like, facts to get in the way of ............ judgments!

roadiegirl
09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
The self-help books don't allow for, like, facts to get in the way of ............ judgments!

Well, I'm a vet tech and I would have really reacted if he hadn't said it was cool outside. I mean, of course it's horrible to leave your dog in your car if it's hot, but he did say it was cool. I take my dogs with me all the time. I even have a battery operated fan I put in the window for them. Obviously, you don't do this when it's over like 85 or something.

cadence90
09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Work for a summer sometime with a city animal control, and see the results of "caring" dog owners that leave their amimals in their cars & you might begin to understand my comments.

I think what the women did was great, I applaude it......

As to what i know about how he takes care of his dogs...I only know what he posted.........which is where my comment came from.

Ans under a tree would only extend the danger toime from 15 minutes to 35.....he was gone an hour.

I didn't realize you were the opinion police.

len
I do understand your comments: I find them utterly negative and extremely presumptuous.

OES
09-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I do understand your comments: I find them utterly negative and extremely presumptuous.

And this ......... shocks you??

djg
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Sometimes a little luck is all you need, sometimes a helping hand, sometimes a little of each. I'm really glad that it all worked out o.k.

cadence90
09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
And this ......... shocks you??
Not really. I just don't get the point of the negative suppositions, especially when coupled with an apparently magical understanding of the absolute relationships between tree canopies, the passage of time, and solar-gain ratios.

Thanks for teaching me that neither Aquinas nor Kierkegaard ever understood the concept of the.....pregnant pause, though!
Learn something every day. :banana:

OES
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Not really. I just don't get the point of the negative suppositions, especially when coupled with an apparently magical understanding of the absolute relationships between tree canopies, the passage of time, and solar-gain ratios.

Thanks for teaching me that neither Aquinas nor Kierkegaard ever understood the concept of the.....pregnant pause, though!
Learn something every day. :banana:

Ignorance is the complete lack of ......... self-help books!!

Sandy
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe we have two genuine and fine people, both of whom really care about dogs, but are just approaching that care from opposite directions.

I know both Len J and sc53. First, sc53 is a woman, who cares greatly for her dogs. They are exceedingly important to her. I remember when she got Willy. She obviously has genuine love and feeling for Willy. I know that to be the case. She is also very intelligent and seemingly knowledgeabe about dogs. Willy is not her first. I would be really surprised if she placed Willy in harms way. She simply cares too much.

Secondly, Len J is a quality and caring person himself. Clearly so. He reacted to a dog in an unattended car, and knows that scenario can be fatal to a dog under certain conditions. His reaction was because of what he knows and his concern for dogs.

So what do we have here? Two genuine and sincere people who really care about dogs. sc53 would never knowingly place Willy in a potentially harmful situation. Len thought that a dog might have been in harm's way. Please let's try not to chastise either, as both have their emotions and thoughts for what is best for the dog. Len reacted, maybe too quickly, to the situation. sc53 never envisioned what occured could possibly happen.

I have volunteered at a local shelter. I was taking dogs out for walks from one row of cages. I noticed 2 dogs in adjacent cages, and the next time, I noticed the same two dogs in the same cage. This was repeated. I was perplexed, and had no idea what was happening. I then noticed that the opening between the adjacent cages was not closed. I realized that the dogs were simply going from cage to cage through the small opening. I looked at both dogs and was really amazed that either one of the dogs could fit through the hole. The hole was small and the dogs were not. It happens.

Bottom line- sc53 and Len J genuinely care about dogs. Give each a break. They really care. Too few people do, sometimes!

Sandy

OES
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I believe we have two genuine and fine people, both of whom really care about dogs, but are just approaching that care from opposite directions.

I know both Len J and sc53. First, sc53 is a woman, who cares greatly for her dogs. They are exceedingly important to her. I remember when she got Willy. She obviously has genuine love and feeling for Willy. I know that tobe the case. She is also very intelligent and seemingly knoledgeabe about dogs. Willy is not her first. I would be really surprised if she placed Willy in harms way. She simply cares too much.

Secondly, Len J is a quality and caring person himself. Clearly so. He reacted to a dog in an unattended car, and knows that scenario can be fatal to a dog under certain conditions. His reaction was because of wha he knows and his concern for dogs.

So what do we have here? Two genuine and sincere people who really care about dogs. sc53 would never knowingly place Willy in a potentially harmful situation. Len thought that a dog might have been in harm's way. Please let's try not to chastise either, as both have their emotions and thoughts for what is best for the dog. Len reacted, maybe too quickly, to the situation. sc53 never envisioned what occured could possibly happen.

I have volunteered at a local shelter. I was taking dogs out for walks from one row of cages. I noticed 2 dogs in adjacent cages, and the next time, I noticed the same two dogs in the same cage. This was repeated. I was perplexed, and had no idea what was happening. I then noticed that the opening between the adjacent cages was not closed. I realized that the dogs were simply going from cage to cage through the small opening. I looked at both dogs and was really amazed that either one of the dogs could fit through the hole. The hole was small and the dogs were not. It happens.

Bottom line- sc53 and Len J genuinely care about dogs. Give each a break. They really care. Too few people do, sometimes!

Sandy

Naw. It was a rush to .... judgment! Which could be considered ... Evil! Although I won't say it ... is! Since no one from Aquinas to Kierkegaard has ... presumed to define it! And I'm not as smart as ... They are!

cadence90
09-02-2007, 09:22 PM
[snip]

Sandy
It could be, Sandy, (I don't personally know either person) but, fwiw, I believe everyone who replied to this thread cares about dogs.

I still disagree with posting a presumptuous judgment about the OP's conduct. It was snotty and unjustified, imo, and in fact contrary to what most would have read into the story, as roadiegirl pointed out and you then verify.

OES
09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
It could be, Sandy, (I don't personally know either person) but, fwiw, I believe everyone who replied to this thread cares about dogs.

I still disagree with posting a presumptuous judgment about the OP's conduct. It was snotty and unjustified, imo, and in fact contrary to what most would have read into the story, as roadiegirl pointed out and you then verify.

roadiegirl is .... NOT PMing me!!

Sandy
09-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Totally agree that probably everyone who replied to this thread cares about dogs.

I can't disagree that Len's post may have been a presumptious judgement about the OP's conduct...... I think that he just reacted emotionally because of what he has seen and understands. As they say, perhaps quick to judgement. The point well taken is that he didn't know all of the facts, and his comments took away from the essence of the op's post. BUt again, it was, I believe, given because he cares about dogs, which is good.

Sandy

OES
09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Totally agree that probably everyone who replied to this thread cares about dogs.

I can't disagree that Len's post may have been a presumptious judgement about the OP's conduct...... I think that he just reacted emotionally because of what he has seen and understands. As they say, perhaps quick to judgement. The point well taken is that he didn't know all of the facts, and his comments took away from the essence of the op's post. BUt again, it was, I believe, given because he cares about dogs, which is good.

Sandy

Yep but Len needs to ....think before he posts!!!

Len J
09-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Yep but Len needs to ....think before he posts!!!

Chirp, chirp chirp.

OES
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Chirp, chirp chirp.

You mean 'Chirp, chirp ... Chirp!!'

Needs Help
09-03-2007, 01:17 AM
apologist:
Today the term "apologist" is colloquially applied in a general manner to include groups and individuals systematically promoting causes, justifying orthodoxies, or denying certain events, even of crimes. Apologists have been characterized as being deceptive, or "whitewashing" their cause, primarily through omission of negative facts (selective perception) and exaggeration of positive ones, techniques of classical rhetoric.
___

Smiley
09-03-2007, 08:51 AM
To this day I can't figure out how my + 45 lbs Blizzard Shar Pei got out of his kennel when we first got him. Dogs can if they put their minds to it get out through the smallest openings. Glad it worked out well for sc53 who cares very much for her dogs. I am sure LenJ meant no ill harm by his thoughts and comments, a true dog lover himself.

sc53
09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey Len, you live on the Eastern Shore, you know how cool and lovely it was in this area on Saturday! It was night time and less than 70 degrees when I put Willy in the back seat of my car. I would NEVER leave a dog unattended in a car in the sun winter or summer. I know how quickly cars heat up. But I, like many, feel comfortable parking them there for quick errands in fall or winter or night time when temps are very low and it's cool outside. You did presume too much and did not read my original post carefully at all since you did not realize there was no need for shade since it was 9 pm and it was a very cool and breezy day and evening here in the DC area.
Oh well this was really supposed to be a feel-good thread about a miracle of human kindness and good luck! Not a teaching opportunity for all us ignorant uncaring careless negligent thoughtless dog owners.....
I would never do what you assumed I did Len. Never.

roadiegirl
09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey Len, you live on the Eastern Shore, you know how cool and lovely it was in this area on Saturday! It was night time and less than 70 degrees when I put Willy in the back seat of my car. I would NEVER leave a dog unattended in a car in the sun winter or summer. I know how quickly cars heat up. But I, like many, feel comfortable parking them there for quick errands in fall or winter or night time when temps are very low and it's cool outside. You did presume too much and did not read my original post carefully at all since you did not realize there was no need for shade since it was 9 pm and it was a very cool and breezy day and evening here in the DC area.
Oh well this was really supposed to be a feel-good thread about a miracle of human kindness and good luck! Not a teaching opportunity for all us ignorant uncaring careless negligent thoughtless dog owners.....
I would never do what you assumed I did Len. Never.

FWIW, I'm super sensitive about people who don't take care of their animals - almost to a fault. But you DID say it was cool and everyone else noticed it too, since nobody else jumped on you about it.

It was a great story and I hope you don't let one bad apple ruin it for you! :)

Bart001
09-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Isn't she cute? (The pug, not the son :D )

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/bart0001/Dogs023.jpg