PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel dishing issue...

tbushnel
09-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I built a wheelset awhile ago with campy record 9/10 speed hubs (32 spoke count) and FIR rims and they worked very well. Used them regularly for about 600 miles and then set them aside to use a different set. At the same time I changed wheels I changed brake calipers.
Anyway, I went to put my personally built wheels back on the bike and found that the rear brake caliper was rubbing the rim. I checked the dish and sure enough the rim was pulled away from center to the non-drive side. And not by just a little (forgot to measure but perhaps 5-6mm). The wheel was as true as it was when I first built it as far as I can tell.
I am pretty new to wheelbuilding (built 4 wheelsets) and I swear when I was finished with these that the dishing was checked and was good. Either I just forgot that step with the rear wheel or something happened in the meantime.
Any ideas?

Perhaps it may be best to leave the building to professionals :)

By the way, the rear spokes are 3X both ND & D side (32 spoke wheel) ND spokes = sapim Laser, Drive spokes sapim leader (2mm straight gauge). Perhaps somewhere here lies the problem.

Thanks,
ted.

09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
A wheel isn't likely to move out of dish and still be true. I'd guess you either didn't dish it correctly to begin with, or your current measurement is off and the wheel is still dished correctly. There's nothing in what you describe that would alter dish without a catastrophic effect on the rest of the wheel.

Peter P.
09-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Check the dishing of ALL your rear wheels to confirm the one in question is in fact dished improperly.

Is is possible the wheel is merely not seated properly in the dropouts?

Wheels don't change dish by themselves; the most likely cause is you missed something in the building of this wheel. It will come with experience.

tbushnel
09-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Kinda what I thought. I will check the other wheels just to see.
I appreciate the feedback.
Ted.