PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 8 spd DA to 10 spd DA

imp25rs
09-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I guess my first questions is, is it possible to upgrade a bike from 8 spd to 10 spd DA? I know the shifters, cranks, etc... can be changed out. My real question is with the rear wheel. If I remember right, the 8 spd rear hubs used 125mm spacing. This creates a problem since the 10 spd hubs use 130mm spacing. Is there a way around this?

If it matters, it is on a '96 CSi.

eddief
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
10-speed Combinations:
Note: Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.
The only parts that are different in any important way between the 8- and 9- and 10-speed systems are the shift control levers.
The 2004 Dura-Ace hub has an aluminum Freehub body, so it only works with 10 speed cassettes.

The 2005 Ultegra WH-R600 complete wheels also use an aluminum body, 10-speed only. (Standard Ultegra hubs have steel Freehub bodies.)

Dura-Ace 10 cassettes have titanium sprockets from 18 teeth and larger.

raven
09-01-2007, 07:45 PM
If I remember correctly, the DA 8 speed rear hub (cassette version) was spaced at 130mm. It even had special profiled lock nuts to help fit into older 126mm spaced frames. I also believe the '96 CSi to be spaced at 130 as well, thus it shouldn't be much of a problem. If not, being a steel frame, you should be able to spread the rear triangle no problem.

rounder
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I guess my first questions is, is it possible to upgrade a bike from 8 spd to 10 spd DA? I know the shifters, cranks, etc... can be changed out. My real question is with the rear wheel. If I remember right, the 8 spd rear hubs used 125mm spacing. This creates a problem since the 10 spd hubs use 130mm spacing. Is there a way around this?

If it matters, it is on a '96 CSi.

You should be fine. 7-speed is at 126 mm i think. 8-speed is at 130...so is 10-speed. Good luck.

imp25rs
09-02-2007, 01:09 AM
I could never get a straight answer from the LBS (I think the people working there were too young to remember 8 spd). I was pretty sure I could just change the cassette. Then I read something in a magazine yesterday that mentioned that 8 spd was on the 125mm hubs and 9 and 10 spd were on the 130mm hubs. After reading your responses I went and actually measured the rear spacing and it is 130mm. I am now thinking that it was a typo.

frenk
09-02-2007, 08:06 AM
You just need to change shifters, cassette and chain. Rear derailleur I'm not sure (I did). You can keep front derailleur and cranks if you want, but with 10sp front der and cranks you will get slightly better front shifting.

Been there, done that :)

classic1
09-02-2007, 08:10 AM
You just need to change shifters, cassette and chain. Rear derailleur I'm not sure (I did). You can keep front derailleur and cranks if you want, but with 10sp front der and cranks you will get slightly better front shifting.

Been there, done that :)

You need to change the rear derailleur. The DA 8 speed unfortunately have have a different cable pull ratio to all the other Shimano 8. 9 and 10 speed rear deraillers

Fixed
09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
bro why change is it broken?
cheers

KJMUNC
09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
What Fixed said.....I rock 8spd DA on my MX Leader and when I hop on my 10spd De Rosa I feel like I've almost got too many gears. Almost.....

imp25rs
09-02-2007, 11:20 AM
bro why change is it broken?
cheers

No, it is not broken and I don't have any desire to change it. After all it still has less than 1K miles on it. The only thing that has really brought this up is my dad's 600 8spd does have a broken shifter that was replaced with a Sora shifter and it just isn't the same. The idea is to take my DA off the Serotta and put it on his bike and then upgrade mine to the new DA. I keep telling him to just upgrade his, but he says I would get more use out of it and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways.

Plus, I never got a straight and complete answer before and it was getting frustrating not knowing. :help: