PDA

View Full Version : Shallow drop bar for Dura Ace STI??

oldguy00
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Is there such thing as a shallow drop handlebar, similar to the deda newton shallow, that is designed with a smooth (flat) transition to STI levers???

e-RICHIE
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Oval Concepts R700 atmo

ps
arrange disorder
:butt: :butt: :butt:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:) :) :rolleyes:

dave thompson
09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Bontrager Flat Top bars.

rnhood
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Deda Supernatural. That is exactly what it is made for.

oldguy00
09-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Deda Supernatural. That is exactly what it is made for.

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific...
Looking for shallow -and- non anatomic. So same sort of shape as the deda shallows, but with a bend at the top for STI's (like the supernaturals)

Avispa
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
FSA has these two new bars the K-Force Compact in carbon and the Wing Pro Compact in alum. They are both identically-shaped, non-anatomic bars. The alum, perhaps has a slight more flatter top...I use Campy and they work great with it... Perhaps with DA they will work the same?

The Wing Pro is cheap at $75 or less on eBay or other large mail order outlets. Your LBS should also be able to get you some...

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=41&pid=793

A!

93legendti
09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
FSA has these two new bars the K-Force Compact in carbon and the Wing Pro Compact. They are identical, non-anatomic bars. I use Campy and they work great... Perhaps with DA they will work the same?

The Wing Pro is cheap at $75 or less on eBay or other large mail order. Your LBS should also be able to get you some...

A!

They work great for my D/A 10 STI levers:http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28703

That shot was taken the day the bike was built. I have rotated the levers up a bit for a smooth transition.

coylifut
09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
you should try normal round bars like the Oval Concepts. After a few hundred miles your hands wont care if there's a flat transition or not. However, they'll love the drops.

vaxn8r
09-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Is there such thing as a shallow drop handlebar, similar to the deda newton shallow, that is designed with a smooth (flat) transition to STI levers???
The Deda anatomic is a nice choice. Only slightly deeper than the shallow, flat transition to the hoods and the anatomic bend is very subtle and comfy. If you like Deda's you might like these.

Grant McLean
09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
FSA has these two new bars the K-Force Compact in carbon and the Wing Pro Compact. They are identical, non-anatomic bars. I use Campy and they work great... Perhaps with DA they will work the same?

The Wing Pro is cheap at $75 or less on eBay or other large mail order. Your LBS should also be able to get you some...

A!

+1

these FSA bars have been very popular at our shop.
I also like the F700 oval and the FSA energy-T round bend bars too.
The WingPro is the shallowest, and transitions well with shimano 10 levers.

g

Climb01742
09-02-2007, 06:40 AM
i've tried all the bars mentioned except the oval. all work_sorta_. the FSA bars have winged tops and the drops have curves to them, which ultimately annoyed my hands. supernaturals give you a great ramp but the drops were too short for my hands. i really think shimano is being stupid here. why not have wider distribution of their pro line of bars? or create two hood shapes, the "classic" they have now and a second shape that mimicks campy/sram? i love how shimano works but the hood/bar interface is a huge weakness, which shimano could easily solve by building/distributing a full line of bars designed around their levers. why they don't is a mystery to me.

cs124
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM

maybe give the newton shallows some more time. i really like the "cradle" created with these bars and shimano levers.

Climb01742
09-02-2007, 07:01 AM
maybe give the newton shallows some more time. i really like the "cradle" created with these bars and shimano levers.

the shape of the newton shallows is great but i think the cradle works or doesn't depending on what size your hands are. my mitts are unfortunately too big. if only deda would weld the tops of the supernaturals to the drops of the newton shallows = perfecto!

oldguy00
09-02-2007, 10:07 AM
if only deda would weld the tops of the supernaturals to the drops of the newton shallows = perfecto!

Yup, thats what I'm looking for.. :(

Avispa
09-02-2007, 11:17 AM
the shape of the newton shallows is great but i think the cradle works or doesn't depending on what size your hands are. my mitts are unfortunately too big. if only deda would weld the tops of the supernaturals to the drops of the newton shallows = perfecto!

Yeah... I was using Ritchey Evolution bars and their Matrix stem... Ritchey makes the best stems out there, IMO. I just wish they made a shallow, non anatomic version of that bar! Heck, wouldn't it be great if we could have customs bars made for us.... :D :D

I just could not find a comfortable position on the evolutions... great bars otherwise.

A!

vaxn8r
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
The "cradle" was torture for me.

Ti-Boy
09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I run DA STI on 3T BioMorphe bars. They are shallow with a short reach, but are anotomic. The top is flat and there is a very nice cradle for riding on the hoods.

tv_vt
09-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Check out these Ritchey bars at Excelsports. Both have pretty shallow drop. I like the shape on the tops of the biomax more than the classic.

T