PDA

View Full Version : Help me build some wheels for my old man.

shinomaster
09-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I decided that I am going to get some new hoops constructed for my dear father. He is 165lbs of aging cycling softness. He rides quite a bit though and put in a good number of miles this year. I gave him my old campy Zondas which have been super strong but super harsh riding as well. I remembered that the open pro's were much smoother than the Zondas on my bike.
I decided to go with open pro's and record hubs for him. Now I just need to figure out the spoke issue. I was just talking to a wheel builder who recommended 3x front and rear with 15-16 gauge spokes in the front with 14-15 in the rear. He said that revolution spokes were too light for him, and that I wouldn't want to go with two cross in the front. Does this make sense and seem like a good build? Is he being too concerned with strength. My dad doesn't ride aggressively he just sits and churns the cranks up the local hills in Upstate New York. I see his biggest concern as being a spaz and running in an out of pot holes.

Any thoughts?

soulspinner
09-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Im 5-10 and on a good day around your dads weight. I have revos 28 front and 32 rear (15/16 drive side) and no problems. Excelsports built em in 03 and yet to be trued.

rounder
09-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I decided that I am going to get some new hoops constructed for my dear father. He is 165lbs of aging cycling softness. He rides quite a bit though and put in a good number of miles this year. I gave him my old campy Zondas which have been super strong but super harsh riding as well. I remembered that the open pro's were much smoother than the Zondas on my bike.
I decided to go with open pro's and record hubs for him. Now I just need to figure out the spoke issue. I was just talking to a wheel builder who recommended 3x front and rear with 15-16 gauge spokes in the front with 14-15 in the rear. He said that revolution spokes were too light for him, and that I wouldn't want to go with two cross in the front. Does this make sense and seem like a good build? Is he being too concerned with strength. My dad doesn't ride aggressively he just sits and churns the cranks up the local hills in Upstate New York. I see his biggest concern as being a spaz and running in an out of pot holes.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think he should have to pull at the front...and ride around the pot holes.