PDA

View Full Version : ot: i see your dead guy and raise you Peets coffee founder

eddief
09-01-2007, 10:50 AM
http://peets.typepad.com/?cm_re=hp-_-feature4-_-Image

he meant a lot to me on most early mornings of my adult life.

Cinci Jim
09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I started drinking Peets in 1990 when I was dating a woman who lived in north Berkeley. Still drinking it today.

I bet I have one of the most unique Peets stories:

Drinking Peets coffee from a canteen cup as the Infantry company I was with crossed the border from Saudi Arabia in to Iraq at the start of the ground phase on the first Gulf War.

coylifut
09-01-2007, 03:00 PM
thanks for sharing. the new team i'm on meets for our training rides at pete's. my first encounter with pete's was the early 90s when i lived in sfo. love it.

Bill Bove
09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Drinking Peets coffee from a canteen cup as the Infantry company I was with crossed the border from Saudi Arabia in to Iraq at the start of the ground phase on the first Gulf War.

Stupid little things that keep you from going insane in an insane world :beer:

NicaDog
09-01-2007, 06:14 PM
I lived in Berkeley for many years, even worked at Peet's (Walnut and Vine) for a few years. I was once at an afternoon gathering at a friends house up in the Berkeley Hills, and Mr. Peet was there - making the coffee in hugh pots - "cowboy style" as he called it. Just pour the coffee into big pots of hot water, bring back up the temp and let it steep for awhile. People of course kept coming up and asking if it was done. He'd throw a small pebble in it, it would sink and he'd say No. Finally when someone came up and asked he threw another pebble in, it stay on the top above the grounds and he announced that the coffee was ready.

Turns out the last "pebble" was a small piece of pummice he kept for just such an occasion!

It was great to watch the people's reaction.

He was a wonderful man, and truely loved his coffees and teas.

He'll be missed, but his legacy is with me every morning.

eddief
09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
from living in Peets marketplace, but for me to go in and get a cup at Peets vs Starbucks is like no contest. Peets does brew it strong and the roasts are big and you can stand a fork up in that stuff.

steelrider
09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Peets= Campagnolo

Starbucks= ShimaNO

IXXI
09-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Wha????? Mr. Peet lived in Ashland and passed away there? I had no idea. Dang.

And as I recall--though I do not know for sure--there wasn't a Peets in Ashland. There was a Starbox on the main boutiquey street near the Shakespeare Festival which I always thought was a crime. Shoulda woulda coulda been a Peets given this news. RIP, the 'original' and maybe the best Mr. Coffee.