PDA

View Full Version : I may have a Record crank problem....

saab2000
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
So I am finally kinda moved in in my new abode in Grand Rapids, MI. Been out riding and showing the bikes around a bit. Went out on the Look today.

Anyway, with my newfound time and ambition, I have decided to proceed with my prettiest bike to date, the CSI. Installed the BB and crank arms. When I spun them I was shocked to hear a rough, gravelly sound that is quite inconsistent with Campagnolo bearings. This is a NOS Record crank from a year or so ago and a newish-looking Chorus BB.

And not only is it rough sounding and feeling (though very free spinning), but there is a very tiny amount of play somewhere.

I greased the threads and cranked hard on the BB - both sides. Cranked down hard on the crank arms. No grease on the flat surfaces. This is an older-style square-taper BB. I have owned 5 or 6 Campagnolo BBs and have never had a problem with any of them. They have all been ultra-reliable and smooth.

Has anyone ever heard of a dud? It seemed to spin quite freely in my hands. Well, it still spins freely, but not as smoothly as I am used to. But even that isn't the real problem. The play is the real problem. That is unprecedented in my experience.

The parts threaded in nicely with just the appropriate amount of resistance. All threaded surfaces are greased.

What gives? Anyone?

Pete Serotta
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a problem for SPOKES..........

Grant McLean
09-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Saab,

Play?

If this isn't a new bb, is could be bearing wear from being installed in a
not perfectly faced frame.

There's no way to adjust out play. You can double check the threads in
the frame with a tap, and check that the drive side is faced, but it sounds
like the bb you have is a dud.

-g

Peter P.
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I like Grant McLean's suggestion that whatever bike the BB was previously installed in was not prepped right, leading to funky bearing wear.

But I was gonna suggest it was the Look that was at fault; not square/parallel at the BB faces , resulting in poor bearing alignment. The only way to prove it is to install a new, loose bearing BB in the Look and see if the problem goes away.

musgravecycles
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
If you want to drive don to Niles stop in at Doug's place. Tell him that I sent you and he'll treat you right (face/chase) plus you'll get to see a cool framebuilding shop...

cleavel
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi,

It does sound like a bad BB bearing. I've heard that you can disassemble the cartridge and replace the bearings but I'm not sure that it's worth it.