PDA

View Full Version : Chorus triple crankset and bb

Marcusaurelius
08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Has anyone tried the Chorus or record triple crank? I am thinking of buying a triple campagnolo crank but noticed they don't offer the chorus or record in 2008. The seem to just offer a centaur model.

Also I don't suppose campagnolo will offer an ultra torque triple crank? (I suspect not since they probably don't sell enough of them to design on unlike the s company that sells large number of triples).

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
The triple drivetrain parts have been moved into seperate families of parts,
so they're not part of the grouppo hierarchy anymore.

you can download the catalogs here:

http://www.tuttocampybici.com/downloadcatalog.php?code=2008

http://www.tuttocampybici.com/catalogs.php

The campy website doesn't show the triple parts as well as the catalog.

If you want higher end campy triple stuff, track down the record or chorus
stuff from 2006. Compact has stolen the vast majority of sales from triple.
Love it or hate it, triple is not in vogue now with many product managers
in the bike industry.

-g

Marcusaurelius
08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks I'll check it out. I tried a compact crankset for a couple of weeks but I found it pretty much useless; the small chainring was just too low for anything and that left me to spend all my time on the 50 tooth chainring.

Alexi
08-31-2007, 08:06 PM
i have a chorus tripple for my if, I'll get back to you when i get the bike fixed.

ohh and qbp is out of record/chrus triples, so it may be harder to find

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
I tried a compact crankset for a couple of weeks but I found it pretty much useless; the small chainring was just too low for anything and that left me to spend all my time on the 50 tooth chainring.

yes, that's what a lot of people say.

If the 34 tooth is too low on a compact, why do you need a triple?

Just askin'

-g

Orin
08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
If you want higher end campy triple stuff, track down the record or chorus
stuff from 2006. Compact has stolen the vast majority of sales from triple.
Love it or hate it, triple is not in vogue now with many product managers
in the bike industry.

-g

Chorus triples were going for a song on ebay a few months back. I got one for about $80 (plus another $30 or so on ebay for the BB). Now the "hens teeth" compacts are going for a song at Nashbar. Get them while you can if you think you might ever be interested.

Orin.

Marcusaurelius
08-31-2007, 10:06 PM
yes, that's what a lot of people say.

If the 34 tooth is too low on a compact, why do you need a triple?

Just askin'

-g

When I fill up my panniers with groceries and I hit a big hill on the way home it's nice to know I have a low, low gear in case my legs get tired.

Dave
09-01-2007, 09:11 AM
I ride nothing but triples, since I ride the Colorado mountains. I have Campy drive trains on my bikes, but use FSA cranks, because I dislike the limited chainring offerings from Campy. I like a 53/39/28 and it's easy to get just by replacing the 30T on a standard FSA crank.

FSA triples can be had real cheap on E-bay.

Unless Campy offers a UT triple with a 39T middle ring, I won't be buying any cranks from them.

Dekonick
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I ride nothing but triples, since I ride the Colorado mountains. I have Campy drive trains on my bikes, but use FSA cranks, because I dislike the limited chainring offerings from Campy. I like a 53/39/28 and it's easy to get just by replacing the 30T on a standard FSA crank.

FSA triples can be had real cheap on E-bay.

Unless Campy offers a UT triple with a 39T middle ring, I won't be buying any cranks from them.

I like that option! 53/39 - with a bailout 28

My sister lived in Snowmass (she moved up valley last year) and the climb into town is a ***** without a LOW LOW gear when you arent used to 8000ft elevation. There is room in this world for tripples - for those of us who aren't afraid to admit they are human... :D