PDA

View Full Version : How Long Are You Willing to Wait?

cinelli
08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
I am amazed at the patience many on this forum seem to have as they wait up to 5 years for a frame from the legendary masters: Sachs, Vanilla......

I would love to own one of these wonderful creations, but at my age, I don't know if my passion for bikes will still be that strong in 2012 or beyond. Heck, I may be long gone by then!

My question is: how long would you be willing to wait for your "dream" frame?

TimB
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Personally, I'd have a hard time accepting more than about 6 months. Any longer than that as an expected Waiting Time, and I'd be looking for a New Dream instead.

dave thompson
08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Being the compulsive type I am and considering my age, not very long. Maybe 6 months or a tad longer.

There's some truly lovely stuff out there; Kirk, Vanilla, Sachs et al, but now approaching 6 years for some I'd have to leave the build slot in my will!

14max
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Dave B
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Well...seeing how bankruptcy has pretty much wiped me out (But I was able to get Jack's 29er due to his incredible genorousity) a 5 year wait might be the thing for me! :D

Do they need a deposit? :crap:

I guess my only question to such a wait is not is it worth it, but would your needs/desires change? I can see that being a deterant, but if it is a dream then you are kind of at the mercy of the artist...right?

e-RICHIE
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
i may never leave PEI, so jonathan greene may have to
finish my backlog of work atmo. hey -just kidding. i waited
at least 20+ years for my nagasawa; i placed the order
in the late 70s (in my head, that is...) but received the
frame 2 years ago. it's all about want, not need atmo.

ps
arrange disorder
:confused: :confused: :confused:
:D :D :D
:cool: :cool: :)

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't think anybody here lacks a bike to ride...
So get on as many waiting lists as you desire, and life goes on.

Ride your bike, dream about what colour your new bike will be,
and enjoy life.

Just think of it as a savings plan. By the time the frame is ready,
you'll be able to pay for it!

-g

e-RICHIE
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
laubin oboes, dufour simplicitys, purdey side-by-side shotguns,
a tour of the twizzlers factory, a weekend with nigella lawson...
some things are worth waiting for atmo.

ps
arrange disorder on PEI wifi
:p :p :p
:cool: :cool: :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

pdxmech13
08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
I think that if you are posting on this subject you'll never not want to wait for a bike to be delievered to your door step. No matter who the builder imho.

e-RICHIE
08-31-2007, 01:05 PM
why i love charlottetown PEI atmo - (http://justusgirls.ca/)

sg8357
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Take advantage of the delivery time lines, call all your fave builders.
Arrange the names in delivery time order. place orders.

Some very fine builders have limited build slots and relatively
short delivery times. Or just sign up for the Bayliss yearly lottery.

Go to E-Richies web site, look at the list and place an order.
Or heaven forfend, trust your own judgement and place
on order on your own hook. Be a patron, encourage new talent.

Lorenzo the Magnificent.
aka Scott G.

slowgoing
08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Get a Kirk. He's fast! I ordered one recently and the time to build was just a fraction of the time for it to be painted.

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Take advantage of the delivery time lines, call all your fave builders.
Arrange the names in delivery time order. place orders.

Some very fine builders have limited build slots and relatively
short delivery times. Or just sign up for the Bayliss yearly lottery.

Go to E-Richies web site, look at the list and place an order.
Or heaven forfend, trust your own judgement and place
on order on your own hook. Be a patron, encourage new talent.

Lorenzo the Magnificent.
aka Scott G.

Great suggestions.

Here's another: buy a custom Serotta
get someone with good taste to design it...
(i'm available for a small fee)

;)

-g

Erik.Lazdins
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Get a Serotta AND the lugged handbuilt bicycle that finds its way to your heart.

zap
08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
If the order is placed in November, 3 months max.

Otherwise 3-4 weeks.

znfdl
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
The amount of time that I am willing to wait for a new bike is propotional to the amount of bikes that I own. More bikes, means I am willing to wait to get my next bike. For example, I have been talking to frame builder for my 50th birthday which is 3 years away.

big shanty
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
You could have a Kirk by Groundhog Day

MilanoTom
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
This all implies that one's dream frame is a new frame. I'd search as long as it took if my dream frame was, say, an old Masi Special or other vintage rarity.

For something new, it's a somewhat different story. I've got my share of delightful bicycles. Since I always have something to ride, I could afford to wait some time, but after about a year, I'd probably get a little antsy and paranoid, wondering if my order had been forgotten or put to the back of the list for some unknown reason. Eventually I'd even start to wonder if some unforeseen event would keep me ever getting the frame.

Regards.
Tom

dirtdigger88
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Ive decided that I am no longer willing to wait for my Sachs-

I want it right now- :D

Jason

93legendti
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Ive decided that I am no longer willing to wait for my Sachs-

I want it right now- :D

Jason

Is that a hint that you have something incoming?

dirtdigger88
08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Is that a hint that you have something incoming?

well . . . yes- but its my 40th Birthday Present to myself-

sadly I will be 38 in January-

I do have the entire group pulled together right now- EVERY piece- bars- saddle- rims- EVERYTHING

how ate up is that???

Jason

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 02:39 PM
well . . . yes- but its my 40th Birthday Present to myself-

sadly I will be 38 in January-

duuuude.... i'm coming up on 40 this Feb, are you saying my present is going to be late?

:)

g

dirtdigger88
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
duuuude.... i'm coming up on 40 this Feb, are you saying my present is going to be late?

:)

g

late and Im afraid its going to be too large for you - Ill have to keep it myself

sorry

jason

dave thompson
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
late and Im afraid its going to be too large for you - Ill have to keep it myself

sorry

jason
However..............just my size!

I'm waiting.

14max
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM

Bob Ross
08-31-2007, 03:28 PM
It's not a question of "How Long Are You Willing To Wait?"

The question is "How Long Will You Wait?"

Because if the bike of your dreams happens to be a bike with a five year lead time but you're unwilling to wait five years for it, then you'll NEVER get the bike of your dreams!

Compared to NEVER, 60 months is nothing.

davids
08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
...f the bike of your dreams happens to be a bike with a five year lead time but you're unwilling to wait five years for it, then you'll NEVER get the bike of your dreams!

Excellent point. But I still struggle with the idea of committing to this kind of purchase 5 years out.

I think I could easily manage a year-long wait. Five years would require a set of patience muscles I've never exercised...

Sandy
08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
The amount of time that I am willing to wait for a new bike is propotional to the amount of bikes that I own. More bikes, means I am willing to wait to get my next bike. For example, I have been talking to frame builder for my 50th birthday which is 3 years away.

You really are young. Please call me Mr. Sandy in the future!! :rolleyes:

Fossil

Sandy
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
It's not a question of "How Long Are You Willing To Wait?"

The question is "How Long Will You Wait?"

Because if the bike of your dreams happens to be a bike with a five year lead time but you're unwilling to wait five years for it, then you'll NEVER get the bike of your dreams!

But in five years, your thoughts and/or needs may have changed.

Sandy

Sandy
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I have only one bike. I would probably wait up to a few months, not too much more. If someone owns say 10 bikes, what is the difference how long he or she waits? Not very significant.

Significant Sandy

d_douglas
08-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I have wondered if people ever sell positions on waiting lists? My two dreams are a Vanilla or a Kirk - it sounds as though the Kirk in a reasonable timeframe is not a problem, but Sacha is another thing all together.

So at risk of offending people, is anyone fed up with the wait / changed their dream / etc. and therefore interested in transferring their position on the waiting list to little old me? I do not have the money now, but will in say, three years (God willing). OK, let's clarify: I am actually looking for two positions: I want to get a stunning ladies bike built for my wife too (!)

Anyways, after seeing Willy in Pacifica's Vanilla riding PBP, I just thought I would pose this ugly question.

signed,

the Opportunist.

72gmc
08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
But in five years, your thoughts and/or needs may have changed.

I for one see that as a good thing about a long wait. It's like placing a time capsule to unearth later. Who knows where your passion will lead in 5 years? Won't it be fun to find out? And in the meantime you can gather 4.5 years of knowledge to apply to the dream frame.

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
I have only one bike. I would probably wait up to a few months, not too much more. If someone owns say 10 bikes, what is the difference how long he or she waits? Not very significant.

Significant Sandy

It's like a restaurant reservation.

You don't need to choose your dinner from the menu when you book the table,
but you better bring your appetite when they call your name!

-g

1centaur
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
If people could sell their place in line then the full wait time would be guaranteed to new regular way adders, theoretically, whereas if some people are always presumed to fall out then new adds to the list can hope the wait won't be the full one. A rational builder would want the latter in order to attract more interest and increase the joy of the waiters at "early" deliveries, as well as to avoid people who buys places in line as an investment and scare some real buyers away by lengthening the advertised wait.

Just economic theory, not saying I know what the real builders do.

J.Greene
08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
i may never leave PEI, so jonathan greene may have to
finish my backlog of work atmo. :)

Screw that. I think I'd make more coin selling t shirts to the girls that follow you around at the frame show.

JG

14max
08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

SimonC
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm on a waiting list right now. I was told 2-3 months at the point I placed my deposit, and that was about 6 months ago. So I'm having to be patient.

But I'm using the time I wait to buy and sell other bikes and am having fun through a series of short-term relationships with bikes. When my name gets called and my new bike gets built I'd better have got that behaviour out of my system!

I'm also enjoying spending the time refining my thoughts about the little details. At the very least the bike will be a different colour to what it would have been if I'd recieved it three months ago.

Jeff N.
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I waited a year for my Holland Exogrid. That was somewhat painful. I wouldn't wait much longer than that, I don't think. Jeff N.

Grant McLean
08-31-2007, 06:53 PM
+1,000,000

A very succinct way of putting the wait time into a proper perspective.

thanks! I'll have the PEI lobster, on atmo's account please...

-g

SoCalSteve
08-31-2007, 06:56 PM

Significant Sandy

I resemble that remark.

I waited about 6 months for my Kirk (well worth the wait)

I have another 2.5 years on my RS (but I have 7 geared bikes and 2 fixed geared bikes to keep me busy while I wait).

Just sayin'

Steve

old_school
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
thanks! I'll have the PEI lobster, on atmo's account please...

One lobster coming up. You want that steamed or baked stuffed?

Ken Robb
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
It's like a restaurant reservation.

You don't need to choose your dinner from the menu when you book the table,
but you better bring your appetite when they call your name!

-g

Well you might have to order and reserve at the same time for Peking Duck. :banana:

e-RICHIE
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
most wines are not used when bottled.
some are recommended for pouring 10-20
years on. folks still buy the bottles when
they are released. that's silly atmo.

ps
arrange disorder
:D :D :D
:p :p :p
:) :) :cool:

14max
08-31-2007, 07:56 PM

e-RICHIE
08-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Or, in haiku:

Some preserve good wine
Pouring when the year is right
Savouring the tones
the red gets better
the white is useless atmo
show me the money

ps
arrange disorder
:confused: :confused: :confused:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:cool: :cool: ;)

Peter P.
08-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Like RS said; it's all about WANT, not NEED.

Yeah, I'd love a frame from any of the big names, but if I ordered it, it will be because my current frame is broken. I'll order it and expect it in the near future because I'll NEED a frame. I'm not going to order a frame now in anticipation of my frame failing at point 'x'. I can't predict the future.

So, to answer the question, because I would only order a frame due to NEED, I would tolerate oh, maybe 12 weeks max. Therefore my next frame will come from a builder that can deliver within that time.

In that light, I can see why there is a good market for companies like Serotta, IF, and Seven. They fill a marketing niche and deliver a product every bit as good as the independent builders but without the art or cachet.

My current frame has two rusty pinholes in the top tube big enough to pass a paperclip into. I'm begging for it to fail but with my luck it will last another 20 years...

David Kirk
08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Or, in haiku:

Some preserve good wine
Pouring when the year is right
Savouring the tones

Good but it needs a seasonal reference to be the real deal.

Dave

Sandy
08-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Like RS said; it's all about WANT, not NEED.

Yeah, I'd love a frame from any of the big names, but if I ordered it, it will be because my current frame is broken. I'll order it and expect it in the near future because I'll NEED a frame. I'm not going to order a frame now in anticipation of my frame failing at point 'x'. I can't predict the future.

So, to answer the question, because I would only order a frame due to NEED, I would tolerate oh, maybe 12 weeks max. Therefore my next frame will come from a builder that can deliver within that time.

In that light, I can see why there is a good market for companies like Serotta, IF, and Seven. They fill a marketing niche and deliver a product every bit as good as the independent builders but without the art or cachet.

My current frame has two rusty pinholes in the top tube big enough to pass a paperclip into. I'm begging for it to fail but with my luck it will last another 20 years...

Ice pick....punches or chisels.....jackhammer......C4 explosives...tactical nuclear weapons....Use your brains, Peter,...no need to wait 20 years..... :) :)

:) Simple Sandy :)

14max
08-31-2007, 08:26 PM

old_school
08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
most wines are not used when bottled.
some are recommended for pouring 10-20
years on. folks still buy the bottles when
they are released. that's silly atmo.

Wait a minute ... you might be on to something here:

"And with a 2012 Sachs, I recommend a the 1982 Mouton-Rothschild ..."

Best enjoyed upon delivery.

Fixed
08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
bro some cats might have to wait a lifetime ..and half the next cheers :beer:

Darrell
08-31-2007, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=e-RICHIE]laubin oboes, dufour simplicitys, purdey side-by-side shotguns,
a tour of the twizzlers factory, a weekend with nigella lawson...
some things are worth waiting for atmo.

A weekend with Nigella, oh gosh,
I am sure when the time comes, who ever my girlfriend, partner or wife that I am hanging around with, well, they will surely understand that I have been on the queue for many years and I need to ................................
So, where can I sign up?

TACSTS
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Well I'm near the bottom of the Sachs list right now seeing as how I placed my order and deposit in June but I never even asked the wait. Frankly I didn't care, I mean sooner is better of course, but I was thinking about asking about the wait and then realized that no matter what the answer if it was 1 month or 10 years I'd still want one.

Which is longer, the time to get the bike of your dreams, or the lifetime without it?

Elefantino
09-01-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't think anybody here lacks a bike to ride...
So get on as many waiting lists as you desire, and life goes on.

Ride your bike, dream about what colour your new bike will be,
and enjoy life.
Word(s)

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/kungfu.jpg

merckx
09-01-2007, 07:21 AM
i waited 35 years for my wife. went through many models before she found me.

zank
09-01-2007, 08:36 AM
i waited 35 years for my wife. went through many models before she found me.

A little milk just came out of my nose. http://www.msnemotions.org/emoticons/uploads/LmaoPurple.gif

Frank
09-01-2007, 10:12 AM
SNIPPED My question is: how long would you be willing to wait for your "dream" frame?

a week, sometimes even ten days, for a "dream" frame to arrive :D

pdonk
09-01-2007, 10:13 AM
My semi custom brodie took 3 months (in 1988) and my "stock" Dekerf took 2 months (size not in stock).

Seriously thinking about a Kirk as a graduation present to myself, especially since 2 that are close to my size have been available recently.

As for lobster, if the rules of the cabal permit ;) , try a

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/McLobster.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1345/1155670062_f40dca3c96.jpg?v=0

SimonC
09-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about this as I went to sleep last night. 'Random' bike orders dotted throughout the next five years is a nice concept - as others have noted, you may not know what you'll be doing at that point in time, or what you might be riding, but most custom builders will rise to the challenge of producing something that'll fit your needs.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know what the waiting time and / or deposit required for a J P Weigle are?

Len J
09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
24 years for my Sachs. I rode one for 15 miles in 1984 and drooled over it for the better part of a century.......swore that someday I would have one.......24 years later, I finally received it...(after the kids were all out of college).

Things of quality have no fear of time.

Len

Your_Friend!
09-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Autumn Leaves Crunched By

Freshly Glued French Tubulars

Torch Turned Off For Now!

Grant McLean
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
does anyone know what the waiting time and / or deposit require for a J P Weigle are?

Around 30-36 months, $500 deposit, another $1000 due when the build starts.
Not that i'd personally know, or anything... :)

Peter has a Flickr photo album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/

g

michael white
09-01-2007, 12:06 PM

this guy knows Basho. Nice!

zank
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM

I always wanted a friend like you! :banana: :banana: :banana:

old_school
09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Peter has a Flickr photo album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/

This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/553732027/) one made me pee a little.

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2007, 01:30 PM

You are a Good Friend !!!!!

Off to Double Secret Probation .... ;)

Fixed
09-01-2007, 03:22 PM
the bro is special imho
cheers

Darrell
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/879495483/

This does it for me :p

The curves are just right

Delpo
09-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Funny how we never have time to do things right but we always have time to do them over... :confused:

William
09-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Even with milk stains on the tube set, I know who I'm calling. Just ticks me off that Beungood is in line ahead of me.....even though I already have one. :crap: ;) :confused: :crap: ;)

William

taz-t
09-02-2007, 04:49 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/879495483/

This does it for me :p

The curves are just right

even better dressed - like a Vargas girl

http://www.bikelugs.com/gallery/weigle.html (page 5#1)

- taz

manet
09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
i waited 'til junior high