PDA

View Full Version : Brakin' w/Carbon Tubies

kerrycycle
08-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Need some advice from the forum.

Got some Zipp 404s tubies that I use primarily as my race wheels. Of course, I use the overpriced Zipp brakepads (I'm switching to Corima next time the pads need to be replaced). This last weekend I was trying out the Zipps with my new HSG flying down a rather massive hill w/stop light at the bottom. I had to apply the brakes (as sparingly as I could given the incline) rather frequently and they ultimately ended up squeeking back at me after heating up. I've had this happen before in a hilly road race. If using an aluminum rim, I wouldn't have cared, however, I'm careful with the Zipps. Here's the real question: Should I be alarmed when they start screaming at me? I felt like the braking performance had dropped off. Do you lose braking performance & should I have been alarmed?

Thanks for the thoughts.

jimcav
08-31-2007, 02:41 AM
i have carbon wheels, and on a few hills where i hit T intersections near the bottom, that happens. worse with corima by the way, and the corima stop slower, esp if it is damp (i live near seattle now, so damp is frequent)
i like zipp (i think made by koolstop)
then the yellow swisstop
then corima

all work, i'm just noiser on the corima, and i am more cautious with them (don't let myself go as fast)

good luck
jim