PDA

View Full Version : Suntour Freewheel Help

cedarburgcyclis
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I hurried into a project where I disassembled my vintage Suntour Winner Pro freewheel without looking closely at how the cogs stack back up. The larger cogs (back two) have different tooth profiles than the smaller, and all are asymetric, so I know there is a rhyme/reason for proper stacking. Can anyone help unscramble my mess?

michael white
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Sheldon Brown?

C5 Snowboarder
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I hurried into a project where I disassembled my vintage Suntour Winner Pro freewheel without looking closely at how the cogs stack back up. The larger cogs (back two) have different tooth profiles than the smaller, and all are asymetric, so I know there is a rhyme/reason for proper stacking. Can anyone help unscramble my mess?

Not sure what the Pro is but I have a Suntour 5 cog -- would a picture of this help at all?

cedarburgcyclis
08-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I did check out the Sheldon Brown site and it does not go into detail on how to stack as far as telling which side is up for each cog. Also checked the Park Tool site and scrolled through far too many web pages for anything close.

If anyone has such a freewheel on hand, could you please take a high def digital image of top, bottom and angle profile?

Thanks much!

gdw
08-31-2007, 09:45 AM
You might be able to get some answers from the folks at Yellow Jersey. They have a good bit of info on their website about Suntour and sell a reprint of Suntour's Techical Bulletin on Winner, New Winner and Winner Pro systems for $3.95.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/stfw.html

KevinK
08-31-2007, 12:31 PM
The largest two cogs go on flat (non-beveled) side up. This is to assist shifting into the larger cogs from the smaller cogs. The bevel on the back is to keep them from being so noisy.

Kevin