PDA

View Full Version : Flexing

Ti-Boy
08-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I noticed something unusual on my last two rides. When I stand and hammer in the big ring on short climbs, my rear wheel is rubbing against the brake pads. I'm on a Moots Vamoots with Mavic K Sls. Is it possible that over time the frame or wheels have become flexy? The wheels are true.

Grant McLean
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Is it possible that over time the frame or wheels have become flexy?

no

g

regularguy412
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
That's often the norm for powerful riders. I wouldn't call myself an exceptionally powerful rider, but I long ago adopted the practice of running my rear brake a little looser. I just didn't want to run the risk of unnecessary rubbing -- especially while climbing or sprinting.

It's also possible that your front wheel rubs a little during really hard efforts. Thankfully, the newer, stiffer-type wheels of today do not exhibit this tendency quite so much.

Mike in AR

David Kirk
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
No to getting softer.

Yes to your being stronger!

Dave

Chris
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Everyone else is right here. I am just on the band wagon. I run my brakes only tight enough to do the job. Anything tighter and you run the risk of brake rub during sprinting or hard climbing efforts...

John H.
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Maybe the hub is loose? If so, use the tool that come with the wheel to adjust the bearings.

sspielman
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
If you are going to be climbing, loosen up the rear brake quick release...Pros do it all of the time....

Ti-Boy
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the replys. Let me see if I have the jist of things for my wife. Honey, the experts said my frame and wheels have become way too flexy and that only a new stiff Pinarello Prince will solve the problem. I think that's what is being said here, no? In the mean time I'll adjust the brake pad distance.

sspielman
08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replys. Let me see if I have the jist of things for my wife. Honey, the experts said my frame and wheels have become way too flexy and that only a new stiff Pinarello Prince will solve the problem. I think that's what is being said here, no? In the mean time I'll adjust the brake pad distance.
You got it, dude....a c50 or a Meivici w/ Campy Record would eliminate this problem as well...

Moosedryvr
08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Honey, the experts said my frame and wheels have become way too flexy and that only a new stiff Pinarello Prince will solve the problem.

Funny, that's exactly what I'm hearing, too! If only our old bikes could stand up to the abuse of the massive increases in power that we are developing due to all this riding. No wonder you never see any Moots bikes in the pro peloton. Must be time for an Extreme C or 595 Ultra (I understand these "pro" bikes are made to withstand the massive power outputs of riders like us ;) ).

Shawn G

Fixed
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
bro I always loosen my brakes, but i'm just a bike mess .sounds like you have a nice rig bro

Waldo
08-30-2007, 03:29 PM
If you are going to be climbing, loosen up the rear brake quick release...Pros do it all of the time....

Just remember to close the brake qr when you start descending.

Sandy
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Close, not exactly. I think they said a new Pinarello Prince and a Serotta MeiVici!! :)

Simple Sandy