PDA

View Full Version : WI Hubs and Wheelbuild Question

mudmucker
08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Yet another wheelbuild question.

Background: my current wheelset has Shimano 105 hubs and Mavic Open Sport rims. I'm 135 lbs., rides are 30 to 70 miles, not super aggressive, ride alot of hills.

1. I am currently deciding on hubs, Shimano compatible. As I'm researching, I'm consistently reading that most of the rear hubs are very noisy, i.e. Chris King. The Shimanos are mouse quiet and I like that. I think I'm deciding on White Industry H1 hubs - can anyone tell me if these are noisy? Are the DT Swiss 240's noisy? Is it actually the pawls on the cassette and not the hubs that make it noisy? Or are these responses likely from people with Campy components. I kinda want a quiet ride. I'm deciding on WI H1's because of cost, and my new wheelset will be black. I was thinking about Tune, but they are more expensive, Shimano's aren't black. DT Swiss 240's would be second choice.

2. Next the rims. I am thinking of Velocity Aerohead for front, 24 hole, 2x. Rear would be the Velocity Aerohead OC 28 hole, 3x probably. If I get the White Industry H1 rear hub with the high/low flanges and put it with the Velocity Aerohead OCs...will that be overkill for my weight? Will that produce a harsh ride? I was thinking OC to reduce dish. Should I get less drastic flanges to put with the OC, or use drastic flanges with non-offset rims? I chose Velocity because I want mostly a lighter responsive climbing wheel, not an aero wheel with a deep rim.

malcolm
08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
My white hubs are moderately noisy, not as loud as a king but much louder than shimano. I've got untold miles on them between several frames and they have been bullet proof.

SadieKate
08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
3 sets of wheels in this household with WI hubs. No, they are not as quiet as Shimano but I like the sound (and I hate the Chris King mad bee sound). The hubs are standing up to all kinds of stuff. One pair is on clydesdale hubby's road bike, one pair is on one of my mtb bikes and takes a whoopin, and the 3rd pair is on my Kelly Bonestock road bike (specs below).

I'm also 135 lbs and wanted wheels I could ride all day. I had a tall order for my builder (John Ackley of BFWG): "come as close to my Topolinos as you can." He did a magnificent job and I can ride my Kelly Bonestock on double metrics in comfort. From reading your comments, I think our goals for the ride quality are pretty similar.

Here's the build

Velocity AeroHead rims (28 hole OC rear / 24 hole front), black ano with machined sidewalls
Black H1 hubs by White Industries (Campagnolo)
Black CX-Ray spokes by Sapim, with silver alloy nipples
Velocity "Velo Plugs"
2-cross, front and rear

dave thompson
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
As others have said, the WI rear hub is moderately noisy. Nowhere near as annoying as CK or Campy hubs though. Good hubs, spin forever, no problems.

You're not supposed to coast, pedal all the time! :D

Ahneida Ride
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
I have the Racer X Hubs. No Problems ... Except the front hub
needed a bit of grease!

They make a pleasant sound. Not quiet, but definitely that awful
CK Buzzzz.....

I highly recommend White Hubs. (and they look great too!)

SoCalSteve
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
As others have said, the WI rear hub is moderately noisy. Nowhere near as annoying as CK or Campy hubs though. Good hubs, spin forever, no problems.

I do that when I ride fixed...when I ride my free hub bikes, coasting is a great luxury...

Just sayin'

Steve

mudmucker
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM

Caught me !

Sounds like the H1's are a winner. I like the Velo Plug idea.

ergott
08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
You could use either the OC rear or the standard. I don't think you will have a difference in ride quality. The tension will be more even with the OC rim. There is no issue with OC and WI hubs. I've done plenty of them.

If you go 28 rear do 2X on the non drive and 3X on the drive. That pattern works real well with high-low flanges. I see no reason why you couldn't go with 20 spokes, radial, heads-in for the front wheel if you want to shed a couple of grams. The WI front hub had pretty wide flanges so the bracing angle is real good.

Peter P.
08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
If you want quiet, get the Shimanos. I can't comment on the WI or DT hubs. Funny; I rode my commuter bike today. It's got a Phil Wood cassette hub. I know it's much noisier than the whisper quiet Shimano on my racing bike, but I can't remember noticing the racket at all on today's ride. The point is, if you can get over your aversion to the ratcheting of some hubs, you'll have a wider choice of quality hubs to build with.

As for the rims, I'm all sold on offset rear rims. I've built with them and ride them and they build up with more even tension and sure seem to last longer. Too bad Ritchey no longer offers his OCR rims. Definitely go the offset rim route, regardless of what hub you choose.

PaMtbRider
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Before you decide on the White hubs take another look at the DT Swiss if you want a quiet hub. My wife has CK's and likes the buzz but I don't. I have White Industry hubs laced to Velocity Aerohead OC and prefer the sound over the CK's or Campy on my other road bike. I have two 29er mounntain bikes, both with DT Swiss 240s hubs that are very quiet. No issues yet with the DT hubs but both sets still have less than 1000 miles on them.

dekindy
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Dave Thomas at Speed Dream Wheels builds the exact wheel you are describing, the AR-20. I just bought a set used, 20 raidal fr/ 28 2x drive, radial non-drive. I have not had a chance to mount them yet. I called Dave and he said that this build should be okay for me at 200 lbs, the original owner was 190 lbs, expecially since I have not had wheel problems in the past with my Shimano WH-R550-16/20 wheels that have 3,500 miles on them. He said about 10% of the these spec'd wheels had went out to riders my side and have held up well. So the build you are considering should be more than adequate if done properly.

Spinning the hubs I would agree that they are not quiet like my Shimanos but much quieter that CK's, which I cannot stand on someone else's bike much less mine.

wasfast
09-02-2007, 08:49 AM
You can easily grease the pawls/ratchet area inside the hub and it will be far quieter. No impact on performance in my experience and far quieter on WI hubs.