PDA

View Full Version : back from paris

shoe
08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
so i got in late last night and thought i would share some of my experiences of the pbp...three of us went over to ride it together so we end up choosing the 84 time limit just to thin the crowd down abit...

so 2 am we decide to ride out from paris to the start of the pbp 15 miles or so away...we are warmly greeted at our door by some girl yelling at us in the international language of drunk...none of which we understood.but she hands us her bottle of wine and being the gentlemen we are ... we all take a swig and got underway....familiar with the steep hill on the way we end up racing down it at 47 mph in the dark en route to our check in...

go through the check in and before long we are on our way...of course the rain soon starts...my friends made fun of my carbon fenders proclaiming they were useless...well since i created long flares with plastic and electrical tape the night before they were more than useful....we hustled it out with some fast people early on hoping to get out of the rain but that never happened and a flat soon dropped us from that group. so we just meandered on from there.....rain came and went really...but we did see some sun for a bit.....seemed as if the time you would dry out you were in the rain not long after....first day went pretty smooth...we had hoped to make it to brest in one shot(the halfway mark)... well that never happened.. nothing wrong with pipe dreams.... usually we ride really well and efficient together but this just never seemed to happen for too long we were all just on a different page this trip. so we all kind of rode off and on together....finally after riding for 24 hrs and realizing brest wasn't happening we stopped at mile 280 ... plus the miles to the check in we got in just around 300 miles in one shot so we figured that was good enough... so after 1 1/2 hours sleep in a chair in a cafeteria we are off again. misty and never quite dry.

the first stretch was interesting..definitely helping each other through some tired points...at one point my legs were moving but i had no idea if i was going uphill or down...sometimes i would just stop pedaling to see. it all just starts to get a little fuzzy. in the total of our riding we only slept 5 hours. so it all starts to feel kind of surreal. the head winds you just learned to ignore if you stayed moving and were layered enough although you were wet you stayed warm. at points you get so used to the rain and mist you don't even notice it. we were king at taking too long at controls....we do exactly what they tell you not to do...we would go to leave and it seems as if all the people would already have already left ...and then hustle it out to the next check point to only waste more time...

the people were awesome just out along the road cheering you on...kids would fill your water bottles and high five you as you pass...even in the rain there was some truly beautiful countryside....the controls would get nuts...people would be sleeping everywhere..all wrapped up in space blankets seeming as if they were from outer space...all these shiny foil wrapped cocooned bodies strewn everywhere...we didn't really choose the sleep areas with the cots or mattresses...we would eat and grab a quick 1/2 hour to hour sleep here or there...sometimes on the table where we would just finish eating... the lowpoint was sleeping on this cement floor in part of a cafeteria with my water bottle and hat on top of it as a pillow waking up sore and cold and still wet and having to head out into the night... the highlight was napping on the grass one afternoon with the sun out while all my clothes dried out around me...

when the sun was out it was true treat and would instantly lift the mood. but i think the rain and wind just helped add to the grit of the ride...the charm really. it was unfortunate to see the weather take a toll on so many people... your body would get achy and cold but i found just to keep moving taking aspirin and plenty of food to help....

the other days seemed to all come together but sort of slid by...the ride into brest was nice since the sun was out but the thought of climbing back out was a little daunting.. i rode alone a bunch and it was nice to just get in your own space and daydream and just try and find the smoothest most efficient rhythm...

at around 4 am the one morning i see these 2 tailights about to crest a hill down the road a bunch only to realize they never took the turn so i sprinted out to tell them they missed the turn. in french i didn't quite comprehend they thanked me and i wondered how long they might possibly have gone...soon after that almost like a mirage since we had been in rain and wooded roads throughout the night - just before daybreak we roll into this town and here the sounds of really bad 80's music...it was like heaven. a bar had set a tent up outside and we had nice warm cup of coffee and some soup as we warmed ourselves next to the grill...

the miles carried on during one evening stretch we decided to make up some lost time and paced lined it through the night between rest points... this was a high point and we all felt strong... in the series of long climbs we just tackled them each of us feeding of the other to push harder...it was a like a game to see how many red tail lights you could swallow up in the dark on the climbs...the roads were in great condition for the most part so there were some truly amazing night time descents....

finally the last day after energy levels yo yo-ing we all go our separate ways. at the second to last check point there is all these mixed messages about when the time to check in was so i decide it is all out to be safe...so 650 miles into it i decide to ride it out as hard as i can...the last chunk ends up with a long stretch of flats with head winds.... i just put my head down and pushed through as hard as i could imagining that nothing was happening...the three of us all happen to arrive at the same time with an hour of time we just bought by hammering it out...so we figure out our last stretch and just meander our way slowly back to the last checkpoint...delerious and exchanging stories of our different experiences..........

so we manage to do it in 83 1/2 hours...my friend did it on his fixed gear kirk , i rode it single speed on my kirk , and my other friend rode it geared on his serotta fierte..and it was in that order of whose legs hurt more. gears and freewheels make it easier but they definitely aren't necessary... i hope everyone had a good time that did it and luckily the hard parts are the first to slip out of the memory. glad to here you guys and gals weren't let off too easy with the deerfield either......dave

Steve Hampsten
08-29-2007, 11:04 PM
dave, you're a rockstar - what a great narrative! i almost wish i had been along...almost...

next year: ramble/r2d2 biumvirate

hope to see you there

H.Frank Beshear
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Shoe, thanks for the report glad that you all made it home safe. +1 on what Steve said. Till next time. Frank

coylifut
08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
great report. thanks for sharing.

RABikes2
08-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Great report Dave. I seem to remember (yeah, you know how that can be) riding with somebody on a Kirk. Hmmm...was I dreaming or was one actually there with me? :confused: :D
Congrats on your great ride! You da man! :banana:
RA

SayHey
08-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Congratulations -- great achievement on an especially difficult PBP. Thanks for bringing us along with your excellent descriptions. Regards.

BoulderGeek
08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
O! M! F! G!!!!

That is huge. huge.

OK, I am not qualified to discuss my paltry 5 hour rides. That is a new level of cycling commitment. Impressive, to say the least.

dauwhe
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on a magnificent achievement, and a beautiful ride report!

Dave

old_school
08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
To thee I bow down.

gt6267a
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
very impressive.

Bittersweet
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I've been thinking about you and this is great news. A lifetime accomplishment. Congratulations.

manet
08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
SHOE!

shoe
08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
hey thanks for the compliments...but seriously anyone can do this ride....it is all just pacing.... i did not train much i just tried to train smart...you must be comfortable with lack of sleep and accept some discomfort at times....i am active with other stuff but all i did was ride once a week with the exception of a handful of days mountain biking.just built a base of long miles.long days drain of some energy for a few days though.. the qualifiers started early on so our joke was that the 4 qualifiers were our training. after i had the base the last six weeks i just rode with fast people and worked on my upper thresh hold...was nice to do a bunch of rides under a hundred miles at that point...i never rode two days in a row other than my 600 to qualify and that wasn't that good of a ride for me.the pbp was harder than i thought but all and all totally manageable. i did the ride because it seemed daunting and hard to imagine...it taught me we are capable of much more than we think....i haven't been riding for that long but it was here reading about other peoples challenges that made me want to find one for myself...dave....

yo BS we might be passing by your way ...i'll let you know

Louis
08-30-2007, 09:41 PM
so we manage to do it in 83 1/2 hours...my friend did it on his fixed gear kirk , i rode it single speed on my kirk , and my other friend rode it geared on his serotta fierte..and it was in that order of whose legs hurt more. gears and freewheels make it easier but they definitely aren't necessary

I'm always amazed by this type of story of long, long rides on fixed or single speed bikes. (I guess Lon H is the king of that stuff.) Dave, what sort of length / grade were the hills? I guess you just go really low on the cadence then stand when you have to? Even if it were perfectly flat I would want gears for head wind vs tail wind...

Great story. Thanks
Louis

Bittersweet
08-31-2007, 06:56 AM
yo BS we might be passing by your way ...i'll let you know

Anytime, as you know

David Kirk
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Very nice work. It sounds like fun......I think.

You the men.

Dave

Spinner
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
thanks for sharing your adventure.

znfdl
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Mazel Tov. Nice job and great write up. Will you go back in 4 years?

shoe
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
hey sorry for the delay-
louis i run a 46 up front and a 17 in the back.....it's a total spinner but it is a great all around gear for me. as far as wants it is all just conditioning. i am so conditioned to it i ride my geared bike like a single speed...the only down fall is i don't have power pushing big gears....we were following in these french racer guys for a couple miles and they were killing the head wind.....i think they were trying to see if they could shake me on the singler...22-23---24----26--------29mph---man let me tell yaa you gotta spin like a maniac to make that work...luckily they dropped it back to the lower 20's...
kirk- no you da man dawg....you were there....
znfndl- riding it i was like i see no reason to do this again...first nights sleep after over looking the eiffel tower from our balcony and thinking i would totally do the ride again....either do the 80 and try it fast or do the 90 ride it efficient and just have more time to goof off on the ride...eat food ,take photos,nap in the sun more,chat with the peoples....dave

William
09-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing with us bike geeks. :cool:

William

PS: BTW, that cool ECSP shirt, one of my favs, got too close to the fire when I was burning some brush. Now the back is perforated...unintentionally of course. Hurt like a mofo in creating it. :crap:

justinf
09-02-2007, 11:18 AM
dude I am so proud of you guys, what an amazing experience that must have been. loved it. j

glc
09-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Brest, 600k in.

dauwhe
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
That photo should be in the next Rapha catalogue!

Dave

mschol17
09-02-2007, 04:54 PM
That photo should be in the next Rapha catalogue!

Dave

+1

glc
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
and this one