PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down Brooks Saddle...

tbushnel
08-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I have an old Brooks professional that I would like to cut down. The rear of the saddle is great, but the middle section is just too wide for my thighs, so I looked at the "Butchered and tied" section all Wallbike and got an idea.

My question is about tools. I need to cut the leather and then chamfer the edge. Any ideas about common tools that might be up to the task? I figured the cutting would be less of a problem than the chamfering. I wanted to avoid specialty tools that I likely wont use much.
Thanks,
ted.

Kevan
08-29-2007, 06:52 PM
you might be better off punching holes along the edge and lacing the sides together, thus squeezing the two sides inward.

I'll leave others to offer suggestions for your route.

Ken Robb
08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I have drilled and tied a couple of my Brooks to solve this problem. Clear zip-ties work great and don't show much.

There is variation in width among "identical" Brooks and this has to be easier/safer than cutting the leather. If you need to do more you can then resort to cutting and the holes will disappear too.

stackie
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I used a Dremel with a cutting disk. Use your safety glasses as the cutting wheels can shatter.

Caveat. I would not do it again. The saddle started to sag and eventually broke at the front tightening bolt and then at the part that the bolt goes into. I tossed the saddle. So, if I ever did it again, I would leave some tabs and fold them under and lace them a la the Swallow.

Jon

tbushnel
08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
If you need to do more you can then resort to cutting and the holes will disappear too.

Duh, I should have thought of that. Thanks. Reminds me of a carpenter joke about cutting lumber - "If it is too short, you can always shim it, but what do you do if it is too long?"

Thanks,
ted.

tbushnel
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Well, it isn't much to look at, but it is now usable and very comfortable as far as I can tell. I first tried the tying, but I couldn't lace it up without getting in the way of the seatpost. So I had to resort to taking off some of the skirt. Laced up with black nylon strapping essentially heavy duty shoe lace material. The top view is a site for sore knees. The edge appears rough but that is due to my poor attempt at chamfering (?sp).

We'll see if the hack job negatively impacts the lifespan of the saddle. I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't, but maybe I will get lucky.
Thanks for all the advice.
Ted.

Kevan
09-05-2007, 06:24 AM
but maybe use some sandpaper to smooth out the cut some (taking care not to harm the finish).

Fixed
09-05-2007, 08:47 AM
bro i have one just like that ..i have not tied it or tried it yet. i can't bring myself to remove the wonderful rolls i have on my ride
cheers

tbushnel
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
thanks for the sandpaper idea. It didn't even occur to me, but it would be nice to smooth that out a bit. I am adjusting the height and setback a bit, but the ride in to work this AM was very nice.

Fixed, I am going to have to try a rolls one day, though for now I am overflowing with saddles. Looks like a reason to get another bike :)
Ted.