PDA

View Full Version : How long before the UCI bans wheels that have "negative drag"?

1centaur
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5250&status=True

mosca
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, if I can get a frame that planes and some wheels with negative drag, I won't have to pedal at all!

LegendRider
08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Good point.

Can you imagine how many of those wheels they'll sell to triathletes???

Does anyone know the ownership structure for Zipp? Assuming they're a closely-held private company, I'll bet the owners are doing OK.

Louis
08-29-2007, 07:06 PM
What about the anti-gravity paint I've been working on in my basement?

I hope they don't ban that once I have it perfected...

stevep
08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
What about the anti-gravity paint I've been working on in my basement?

I hope they don't ban that once I have it perfected...

its probably in the attic by now.

3chordwonder
08-29-2007, 08:12 PM
its probably in the attic by now.

Laughed my ... off at that.

gt6267a
08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Minus 80 grams drag, so roughly 11 watts forward power!

presumably the faster i go, the more watts it creates ... so at some speed it will create more watts than i ruin with my far arse ... it will be a perpetual motion machine. someone call newton, physics is a hoax!

stevep
08-30-2007, 05:34 AM

presumably the faster i go, the more watts it creates ... so at some speed it will create more watts than i ruin with my far arse ... it will be a perpetual motion machine. someone call newton, physics is a hoax!

the less effort you put in the faster you will go...
i want that man.
the more effort i put in the slower i go...
ill pay anything...i have swoops credit card...

A.L.Breguet
08-30-2007, 06:20 AM

Perpetual motion, phtttttt! You'll be going so fast your headlight will no longer work!

Fixed
08-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Good point.

Can you imagine how many of those wheels they'll sell to triathletes???

Does anyone know the ownership structure for Zipp? Assuming they're a closely-held private company, I'll bet the owners are doing OK.
pluse they sell their 2nd's to smaller co. and then they are relabled
cheers

stevep
08-30-2007, 08:22 AM
remember when a telecom mechanic put ullrichs 4 spoke aero front wheel on backwards for a tt?
flippin hilarious.
it cost him 20 seconds instead of saving him 30 seconds and he lost the tt by maybe 10 seconds or something.

perfect.

i heard that the guy was now bruce k's personal mechanic...
"hey bruce, the chain is on the wrong side on this bike man... isnt it supposed to go over the thing with the teeth?"

RPS
08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
someone call newton, physics is a hoax!To impress Newton, you could try this approach on your next custom bike.
Think how it would feel to go uphill into the wind without pedaling. :cool:

P.S. – Would be so slow as to require at least a trike to stay upright, but it should work.

BURCH
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Wow, if I can get a frame that planes and some wheels with negative drag, I won't have to pedal at all!

All we have to do is figure out that gravity thing and tire friction and we won't be pedaling. :)

mosca
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
To impress Newton, you could try this approach on your next custom bike.
Think how it would feel to go uphill into the wind without pedaling. :cool:

P.S. – Would be so slow as to require at least a trike to stay upright, but it should work.That sail would spoil the classic lines of my next custom bike, and the tacking required would be really disruptive in pacelines. Guess I'm doomed to keep pedaling...

39cross
08-31-2007, 01:22 PM
i heard that the guy was now bruce k's personal mechanic...
"hey bruce, the chain is on the wrong side on this bike man... isnt it supposed to go over the thing with the teeth?"That's why Bruce buys a new Serotta every year...

dauwhe
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Mr. Newton has no reason to worry. Negative drag is quite common--think of a sailboat. The energy input to the bike is being extracted from the wind. I believe this is a factor that affects some faired recumbents.

Dave

gt6267a
08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
wings, airplane blades, helicopter blades, sails, probably this wheel ... bernoulli's principle. i was joking about calling newton. no one is busting the gates of football physics.