PDA

View Full Version : Pro Race 2 Tires are too tight - help, please

Sean Mac
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble with my bike. My 700 X25 Pro Race2 tires are scraping against the bottom of my front brake calipers (2007 Campy Centaur). I've adjusted the brakes so that the shoes are as close as possible to the rim, but the tires is still a bit tight. It seems that I need to choose a different tire.

Can any of you suggest a solid performing 700 X 25 tires that might have a bit lower profile, thus allowing me to use them with my bike?

Your help is apprciated.

Sean

Fixed
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
open your brakes a little imho
cheers I got 28s on one of mine

Kevan
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
You sir, might be outta luck wearing 25's. Doomed for life wearing 23's.

SoCalSteve
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Because the Michelin PR2 is a true 700 x 25 tire, there can be clearence problems on both front and back wheels, forks, calipers, etc...

That being said, the Michelin PR2 700 x 23 will work and (I dont know this for a fact, but) its probably pretty close to most other tire manufarcturers 700 x 25.

I use the PR2 exclusively on all my bikes and on the ones where I do have a tire clearence issue (like F1 forks) I use the 700 x 23's instead.

Good luck!

Steve

rpm
08-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I suggest Conti 4000 25's. Slightly smaller, almost as cushy, better wearing, and better flat and cut resistance.

Orin
08-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Because the Michelin PR2 is a true 700 x 25 tire, there can be clearence problems on both front and back wheels, forks, calipers, etc...

That being said, the Michelin PR2 700 x 23 will work and (I dont know this for a fact, but) its probably pretty close to most other tire manufarcturers 700 x 25.

I use the PR2 exclusively on all my bikes and on the ones where I do have a tire clearence issue (like F1 forks) I use the 700 x 23's instead.

Good luck!

Steve

Yes, the Pro2Race 25 is FAT. I have some that are measuring 27mm on Velocity Dyad rims.

The 23 is more like what other manufacturers call 25s.

For something smaller that is marked 25 and comparable, though not as tough or long wearing, there is the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX which is available in 700x25 if you look around.

Orin.

fierte_poser
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Sounds like your skeleton brakes have a bit too much flesh! ;)

vaxn8r
08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Conti 25's = Michelin PR2 23's in terms of profile. Conti 23's will be even smaller.

mcteague
08-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I use P2R 25s and find no brake issues with pre 2007 Record calipers. However, getting the wheel off the bike while the tire is inflated takes some doing.

Tim McTeague

dauwhe
08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
My Pro2Race 25mm tires measure around 27mm on Aeroheads...

Dave

Sandy
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I qualify the following by saying that I am clueless about mechanics on a bike. However, I wonder what the real issue is. I have used Michelin Pro2Race 700x25 tires. I didn't like them, so I now use Continental 700x25 GP 4000 tires. Yes, the Michelin are wider but we are not talking about a peach versus a basketball. There isn't tha much of a difference.

I would certainly think that the brake calipers could be adjusted so that the problem is solved. I would bet on that. I take my wheels off all the time and I could do it with Dura-Ace 10 and 700x25 Michelinn Pro2 race tires. Bet you could too.

Am I missing something here, or should I say missing anything more than most here know that I am missing??? We ain't talking inches or cms, but mms. Some dude or dudette here has to be able to tell us how to do it. As they say, it ain't rocket science and it ain't no watermelon, not even a peach, more like a peanut....

Nut Cake Sandy

Sean Mac
08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really do appreciate the help, as I am a bit clueless about bike mechanics as well (though this forum has helped to change that).

The problem that I have isn't that my Pro2Race tires are too wide (as in, the width from one side of the rim to the other). Instead, the tires are too tall - they are too tight against the bottom of the brake caliper. In fact, I can hear the tire gently rubbing against the caliper as a ride - the faster I ride the higher pitch sound coming from the tire. Obviously this is not good. I want to fix this ASAP so that I do not blow my front tire and suffer a nasty fall.

Would a norrower tire (say at 23 Pro2Race) be less tall than a 700 X 25 Pro2Race, or is the height of a tire consistent between the various widths?

Might one of the other brands of tires, such as the Conti 4000's suggested by rpm, be less tall - and thus a better fit for me?

Thanks again,

Sean
Feelin squeezed in East Aurora, NY

93legendti
08-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble with my bike. My 700 X25 Pro Race2 tires are scraping against the bottom of my front brake calipers (2007 Campy Centaur). I've adjusted the brakes so that the shoes are as close as possible to the rim, but the tires is still a bit tight. It seems that I need to choose a different tire.

Can any of you suggest a solid performing 700 X 25 tires that might have a bit lower profile, thus allowing me to use them with my bike?

Your help is apprciated.

Sean

Can you post a pic? I seems like the tire would rub on the fork before it would on the brake.

SoCalSteve
08-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really do appreciate the help, as I am a bit clueless about bike mechanics as well (though this forum has helped to change that).

The problem that I have isn't that my Pro2Race tires are too wide (as in, the width from one side of the rim to the other). Instead, the tires are too tall - they are too tight against the bottom of the brake caliper. In fact, I can hear the tire gently rubbing against the caliper as a ride - the faster I ride the higher pitch sound coming from the tire. Obviously this is not good. I want to fix this ASAP so that I do not blow my front tire and suffer a nasty fall.

Would a norrower tire (say at 23 Pro2Race) be less tall than a 700 X 25 Pro2Race, or is the height of a tire consistent between the various widths?

Might one of the other brands of tires, such as the Conti 4000's suggested by rpm, be less tall - and thus a better fit for me?

Thanks again,

Sean

A Pro Race 700 x 23 WILL solve the problem. I have had this happen on a Colnago C-50 and changing to 700 x 23 Michelin PR2 solved the problem.

Good luck,

Steve

Orin
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM

Michelins are very round as well as being fat, so yes, a 23 will be less tall than a 25.

As for the Contis, they run skinny... wouldn't surprise me if their 25 wasn't any bigger than the Michelin 23.

Orin.

Sandy
08-29-2007, 11:58 PM

Thanks again,

Sean

Now I understand your problem. I didn't realize that it was the height of the tire that was the issue. Sorry.

Sorry Sandy

Sean Mac
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Hello again,

I just returned from my lbs with a 700 X 23 Pro2Race. This tire fits much better. Thanks for your help.

Sean