PDA

View Full Version : mtn bike decisions

crossjunkee
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Help talk me down. I'm at a crossroad with my beloved Moots YBB. I've been flirting with the idea of going full suspension, and disc brakes for quite a while, but can't pull the trigger. There are just so many suspension designs to try, it makes my head hurt. Especially when I can get on the Moots, ride all day, and it just works. I know I might be a little faster on the dually. But, is it worth messing around with another shock, bushings, seals, and everything else that comes with.

Here are my two options:
1. Sell the Moots, and buy a dual suspension, most likely the Yeti AS-r.
2. Keep the Moots and just upgrade to disc? The Moots is relatively new, and has disc tabs. If I upgrade to disc's. Should I just go mechanical, and keep my relatively new XTR levers? Or go full hydraulic? That sounds like another headache...

Let me know what you guys think. I know we're mostly roadies here, but please help shead some light.

Hardlyrob
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Keep the Moots - it just works - and upgrade to discs. Skip the hydraulics, and keep it simple baby.

Cheers!

R

MassBiker
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I went from a hartail to a full suspension and it has made MTB way more enjoyable with surprisingly not much more mechanical worry.
Take a look at the Titus Motolite, a great trail bike!!!!!!

davids
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Keep the Moots - it just works - and upgrade to discs. Skip the hydraulics, and keep it simple baby.

Cheers!

R
Yeah.

If you're happy with it, be happy with it.

As far as mechanical vs. hydraulic, I'd say go with the Avid Juicy 7. I upgraded from Avid SD7s to the Avid mechanicals on my Klein, and that was a big improvement. I hear the Juicy 7s are just as big an improvement...

gt6267a
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a Salsa Dos Niner, a less expensive but similar frame to the ybb. A few months ago, I tested a specialized epic.

On the single track, roots, log rolls … they were both about the same. Climbing might be better on the Dos Niner, but not much. The epic destroyed the Dos Niner on the descents. I was way more comfortable at speed going over obstacles … At least for the terrain around here, AL, the only benefit I see in semi-hardtail Vs softtail is in the descents. If you don’t mind going a bit slower when going downhill, keep the bike you have. If you want to crush the downs … well … what size is this beast?

Per the disc discussion, I think discs are the way to go. No opinion on the mech Vs hydro discussion. My bikes are hydro…

gdw
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Keep the Moots and stay with V's. It's the perfect setup for Leadville. Light, simple, reliable. ;) Discs are great in wet areas but you're in the arid front range where they offer no real advantages unless you want to take up downhill or free riding. If you want to try full suspension start saving your money and begin test riding different bikes. Find out what works best for you and head to Veloswap in October and see what kind of deals you can find. If you don't have the extra cash available by October don't worry. The shops will be selling old inventory after Christmas at substantial discounts.

michael white
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I haven't seen any braking advantage in discs over good v's. I've tried--just don't see it.

if it were me, I'd just put a little money in the Moots every now and then to keep it fresh.

crossjunkee
08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input everybody.

The Moots has carried me to many finishes. I've raced the bike in Norba events, 12hr, 24hr, you name it. The bike has been completely flawless.

gdw, Leadville is my last goal for mtn. bike racing. MUST GET THE BUCKLE!!! I'm really looking for the perfect bike for that race. You caught me!