PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Washington DC

Len J
12-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Some friends invited me over to DC for a single speed century in DC today & I accepted.

They wanted to do a "50 states" ride, where we ride on streets named for all 50 states. Turned out that many of the state streets are in some of the more interesting areas of the city. So I got to see parts of the city not on the tourists maps. Good thing it was Sunday morning.

Turned out to be a reasonably hilly ride (which for those of us on the Eastern Shore is anything not flat) and after about 70 miles they took me up a killer hill (either Chain Bridge road or Cathedral road fopr those of you from DC, I couldn't tell you as my eyes were crossed & I was focused into the netherworld) This is a killer on a SS especially after a few hours of climbing. Who knew there were such hills in the city?

I have to say the weather was great, the company better, and the ride was.......nothing if not interesting. I can't believe how many bike paths there are in DC.

Hope all of you had as great a day.

Len

Smiley
12-28-2003, 06:59 PM
once you see water Len you know your screwed cause that means your going back up again. You should have called us we would have been kinder to you with a friendlier ride.

Sandy
12-28-2003, 07:49 PM
"Kinder to you with a friendlier ride" Well yesterday I went with Smiley and group on a "social" ride. It seemed safe at the beginning, since Smiley's wife (The First Mate) and a neighbor female cyclist were with us at the start of the ride. I was pretty sure that I could keep up with the two ladies. So the ride starts and we go about 2 miles, just riding easy, and off the ladies go to do their own thing. That was right at the first turn, which was the start of many climbs on the approximate 44 mile ride. So here is fatso Sandy, at 215-220 pounds, riding with a small group of BB riders and above, and when I say above, I mean much above. The pace was not too bad, since the guys all are super nice and decided not to kill me during the ride. Luckily for fatso, they ride easy during cool and cold weather. I had trouble in the hills, per normal, but i think that I am steadily improving, so on a few ocassions they simply waited for me after some hill climbing. I did ok on the flats and in the rolling hills, and the group was just too nice to leave me for good. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and a great way of getrting better.

Sandy

Len J
12-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Smiley:

I will definatly take you up on that in the future.

My whining, is just that, I really enjoyed the ride. I do like climbing, I just don't get mech practice is all, especilly on a SS.

Sandy:

I suspect you exaggerate your own lack of capabilities.

Glad you enjoyed.

Len

Too Tall
12-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Dunno Sandy boy, you looked happy when I passed you. I was all done. We had 50+ miles when you passed us...up with the roosters.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

(PS - The above is a bucket of love...just teasing. So sensitive Sandy)

saab2000
12-29-2003, 09:09 AM
I have found the riding around the DC area really is not all that bad, despite the traffic. When you know where to go it is pretty good.

Last summer I went on some of the criterium style training rides at Hayne's Point park and it was great.

Kevan
12-29-2003, 09:37 AM
riding in D.C. is a pleasure.

You're right about the trails in that area, it seems Rails to Trails really got their start in that town. Haven't done it in a couple years, but I love taking the Cresent path from Bethesda into Georgetown and wind my way into D.C. proper. Great fun riding amongst the monuments, check out the gardens around the Capitol and Supreme Court, and do a zig-zag around the barriers protecting 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Not a fast paced ride, but one full of sites. It's the best way to see the town.

I guess I'll need to figure out some way to get back to that area again so I can join those incorrigibles for another Sandy walk.

Too Tall
12-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Riding around DC is terrible. The pits. Kidding.

DC drivers live in fear of couriers...which is good for the rest of us.

On a 3 hrs. ride from DC I can take you out of the city to remote horse country through historic natural preserves, cross the potomac on the longest running car ferry in the USA and around the Capitol Building. Tack on another couple hrs. and for no charge I'll toss in a couple Mtn. climbs as well.

MD and Va are sick with excellent paved rural roads. This is a mecca for riding.

The riding is just terrible.