PDA

View Full Version : this is the best news ever.....

jerk
08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Berzin returns to peloton

Evgeni Berzin may be returning to the professional peloton to race for the first time since 2000. The 37 year-old Russian, winner of the 1994 Giro d'Italia and Liège-Bastogne-Liège, has re-found his racing form, and he has attracted the attention of Professional Continental Team Tinkoff Credit Systems.

Compatriot and Tinkoff Team Owner, Oleg Tinkov, would like to have Berzin in his 2008 squad as a mentor to the younger riders. Berzin will travel to Forte dei Marmi (Tuscany) this Sunday or Monday for a training camp with the team.

"We have known each other for a few years," he said of his relationship with Tinkov during an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport. "He was a racer and he loves this sport. He would like that I become a maestro to his younger riders. I would like to be utilized for preparation and organization of life outside of cycling. A rider has to think right away about constructing his future, because as soon as he stops riding there will be no one, even if on the bike he was a champion. Many do not know this. The real world is different than that of cycling.

"I will study the team," he continued of the upcoming training camp. Mikhail "Ignatiev has a good rhythm, but he has to learn how to race. How many races did he throw away this year? [Pavel] Brutt and [Ivan] Rovny are good, but... I think they started too early. It would have been better to wait to race the Giro d'Italia at age 22."

The attraction back to the sport which he left at 30 years-old is based on passion and not greed; Berzin owns three Fiat car dealerships near Milano. "At first it was a big effort. All of my friends dropped me," he continued. Berzin was reportedly up to 81 kilograms before dropping down to his current weight of 67 kilograms.

"This year I rode 20,000 kilometres, and now it is the others that are being dropped."

Fixed
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
cool bro

sspielman
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow. Glad to hear that he is riding well again.....The last I heard about him was that his car dealerships were a small sponsor of the (first) Amica Chips team....and they had signed Chiapucci, but he never bothered to race for them because his checks didn't cash.....

GregL
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Gotta' wonder how Berzin will fare in the face of current drug testing. Wasn't he the poster boy for the infamous 1994 Gewiss team? They of the infamous 1-2-3 finish at the '94 Fleche-Wallonne. I hope WADA and the UCI put a bullseye on his back for targeted out-of-competition testing...

Regards,
Greg

coylifut
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
i saw that and had a chuckle....Tinkof is weary of Rasmussen due to the press surrounding Jaske and Hamilton. Berzin---OMG.

zank
08-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought that was an extra story from the April 1 news.

swoop
08-29-2007, 01:23 PM
i'm just hoping lemond gets pissed off enough that he starts training in earnest again and signs up for tinkoff....

if races are going to be clean, might as well have some old guys put the hurt on some dudes for the first hour....

yates, tomac, ned... anyone?

zank
08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
tinker

swoop
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
hampsten for sure....
stieda?
boyer?
gert jan... well.. maybe not him.

Fixed
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm irish at heart
cheers

chrisroph
08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm getting out the pink shamals in celebration..

Grant McLean
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
81 kg's !!

Duuuuuuude...

-g

Avispa
08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
81 kg's !!

Duuuuuuude...

-g

For his height, especially.... That dude is shorter than me.

Damn!

A!

davids
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
81 kg's !!

Duuuuuuude...

-g
Over 178 lbs for those of us on the proper side of the border. :p

Now down to 148.