PDA

View Full Version : D2R2 and hyponatremia-a cautionary tale (long)

BHL
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
On the D2R2 ride a few days ago, I learned the hard way what most ultra-endurance athletes already know about sodium balance.

I ride a lot (commute to work, some brevets, 5-10 centuries/year), but I'm not a racer and have never considered myself an endurance athlete. I've heard of marathon runners 'drinking themselves to death', but haven't thought that I fit into the ultra-endurance category. That all changed last Sat on the D2R2 ride when the combination of high temps, high humidity, a brutally challenging ride and some ignorance on my part made for a perfect storm of circumstances that ended up sending me to the hospital for the night.

I had been looking forward to the D2R2 ride for almost the whole year. After doing the shorter ride last year, I was really excited to try the longer ride this year. At the beginning of the ride, I was talking with some other riders about how it would be hard to stay hydrated during the ride 'cause it was going to be so hot. I've done plenty of rides during hot and humid weather, but rarely a ride this hot and long.

I was having a great ride for the first 90 miles, feeling strong up the hills, enjoying the company of Randy from Vt and Tom from Kansas. We were all working well together, cranking up the hills and flying down the sometimes sketchy descents. I was drinking a lot, but the thought of sodium balance didn't enter my head, partly because I just didn't know that it could be a problem for me and partly because I was also drinking Gatorade (about 1:1 with water bottles) and eating what I thought was enough (PB+Js, many bananas, and 'energy' bars). I also tried a few of the Hammer supplements that the organizers had included in the 'goody' bag.

At the extra water stop near the Green River after talking with Ginger (and getting my picture taken as a forum lurker-she was on a mission), I sat down for a bit in the shade and thought about the rest of the ride. I was starting to feel tingly, which I associated with dehydration, so I drank some extra water, and told Tom and Randy to go on without me. I was just starting to feel wiped and had been having trouble keeping up in the last few miles. I sat for a while and started to feel crappy about abandoning so I thought I'd go down the Green River a ways and see how I felt when I got to the turn-off to go up the hill. I didn't feel any better and knowing how steep the hills were, I gave up and headed back towards Greenfield. I was still feeling ok, tired, but nothing unusual.

Back at the start, I talked briefly with Ginger and Jtferraro about going out for beers (that would have been 'exciting'), took a shower, drank some coke (water didn't seem appealing) and tried to eat some enchiladas. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like eating much so I just sort of sat there and listened to the music. I was kind of worried about the guy sitting across from me who was putting his head down a lot and eventually got up and lay down on the grass. I realized eventually that I was sitting next to Kevan, but I was starting to kind of fold in on myself and wasn't feeling very social. I was waiting for Tom and Randy to see how the rest of the ride was and when they didn't show up I decided to head home at around 6 and see my family.

I was still feeling ok for the drive home, a little tired and out of it, but still nothing unusual.

It's good I left when I did, because I only remember snapshots of the next 10 hours.

When I got home I was feeling lethargic, my wife said I didn't look too good and maybe I should take a bath because she thought I had heat stroke. After the bath (which I don't really remember), my wife asked if I was ok because I apparently seemed kind of dazed. She said (later) that she was getting worried especially when I didn't respond when she asked if I needed to see a doctor (she knows I'll do anything to avoid the attention, unless absolutely necessary). Then I guess I started shaking and she called the ambulance (btw, she was absolutely wonderful and non-judgmental about the whole [terrifying to her] experience-I'm very lucky).

The short story of the hospital stay is that my sodium level was at 121 units 3 hours after I got the IV in the ambulance-so it had probably been even lower. Apparently 130-140 is normal and 115 is very dangerous. I was shaking uncontrollably for I guess 4 hours and didn't know where I was and could not easily form thoughts or answer questions (brain edema from sodium imbalance). My wife tells me I had IV's in both arms for several hours and the medical staff was very concerned about seizures (they even threw in a CT scan).

After continuous IV, I could sleep calmly by 3 am and by 8 am I felt perfectly fine. The strange thing is that for the rest of the day I hardly felt like I did a hard ride - no soreness, good flexibility and very little fatigue (my doctor neighbor said this is because my whole system was essentially flushed with all the IV fluid).

I hate that I put my wife through this, and I'm mad at myself that I was ignorant enough about sodium balance on super hard rides that I didn't take care of it.

I'm writing this (it's not my proudest moment :) ) because I think there are a lot of other hard-riding 'recreational' riders out there, who like I did, think that hyponatremia (lots of good info on the web if you search 'hyponatremia ultra-endurance athlete) doesn't apply to them, simply because we don't place ourselves in the 'endurance' category (even though we clearly should-100 mile rides seem normal to us, but they are standard deviations away from the average). The other problem is the 'gatorade myth'. I now know that there are some good studies that have shown that gatorade cannot replace salt lost during hard rides because it its hypotonic (and mostly sugar anyways). I thought that I would be fine as long as I downed some gatorade. As many forum members know (TT, Skrawny et al.), but some may not, some kind of true electrolyte supplement or salty food source is needed to balance out salt lost during sweating and to prevent the diluting of blood from drinking water. My doctor actually suggested simple salt tablets-any thoughts on this?

I think it's worth stressing that hydration is important, but equally important, especially on rides longer that 3 or 4 hrs, is maintaining sodium balance (again, I realize that many people know this, but I hope my ignorance/denial will help someone avoid this very dangerous condition). I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable to comment on specific strategies or you can search 'hyponatremia' on the forum for some good discussion.

I feel very humbled by this experience. It's scary that I could have gotten so close to actually dying just by doing what I love to do. Yes, I realize the conditions were extreme and that this probably wouldn't have happened last year, but I should have known. If you ride long distances, please read up on hyponatremia and acknowledge that what we are doing are ultra-endurance events.

Louis
08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow - good thing your wife was there to realize that you needed help.

A few times I've experienced some early warning signs of heat exhaustion (dizziness and chills) but not this end of the spectrum. Given the wonderful summer weather we have in St Louis (heat and humidity in spades) this is a helpful story. I wonder if the energy drinks cyclists often use (Cytomax, Accelrade, etc,) have enough sodium to keep this away.

Louis

dvancleve
08-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Ironically, Gatorade is either low sodium or very low sodium if you check the label. I think it goes back to the "sodium is your enemy" thinking of the 80s. After reading a bit about hyponatremia, I have started throwing a pinch or two of table salt into my Gatorade bottles before long/hard or hot rides. I believe the Gatorade Endurance (I think that's what it's called) has significantly more sodium than the plain old. Glad to hear you are okay :^)

Doug

I'm writing this (it's not my proudest moment :) ) because I think there are a lot of other hard-riding 'recreational' riders out there, who like I did, think that hyponatremia (lots of good info on the web if you search 'hyponatremia ultra-endurance athlete) doesn't apply to them, simply because we don't place ourselves in the 'endurance' category (even though we clearly should-100 mile rides seem normal to us, but they are standard deviations away from the average). The other problem is the 'gatorade myth'. I now know that there are some good studies that have shown that gatorade cannot replace salt lost during hard rides because it its hypotonic (and mostly sugar anyways). I thought that I would be fine as long as I downed some gatorade. As many forum members know (TT, Skrawny et al.), but some may not, some kind of true electrolyte supplement or salty food source is needed to balance out salt lost during sweating and to prevent the diluting of blood from drinking water. My doctor actually suggested simple salt tablets-any thoughts on this?

Needs Help
08-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Scary stuff. Some of the things I've read say that a fluid containing enough salt would taste so bad that you wouldn't be able to drink it. My working assumption was that eating something would provide enough additional sodium. You seemed to be doing everything right: consuming energy drinks and eating.

In hindsight, what would you have done differently?

Fixed
08-29-2007, 05:51 AM
bro your wife is cool imho
cheers

Ray
08-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm glad you got through that alright - sounds like a very close call.

Reading your description makes me wonder about an experience I had about 10 years ago in my first season of riding a lot. I've always thought it was heat exhaustion bordering on heat stroke, but the symptoms were very similar to yours except they didn't get quite as bad at the end. Similar conditions, crazy hot and humid. It was actually my first attempt at a 60 mile ride. Didn't feel very good all day, and just got worse and worse as I slammed down the gatoraid. Got to the point in the last 20 miles where I couldn't stand drinking anymore and couldn't eat. Was getting tunnel vision. I was riding solo so nobody was there to tell me if I was coherent or not, but I doubt it. I stopped by a stream to cool off with about 15 miles to go. Should have called my wife to get me, but I had too much pride and was determined to finish the 60. The whole last ten miles I was out of it and was thinking it would all be ok if I could just make it home. I made it, but when I got there, I just kept feeling worse and worse and worse. Took quite a while to get the energy to go up and shower. Then I just passed out - couldn't eat or drink. Slept forever and still felt horrible when I woke up the next day - almost passed out in the shower and realized I couldn't go to work. Finally able to start drinking juice and gatoraid by late morning the next day and then felt fine by the end of the day. I wasn't shaking, at least not uncontrollably - kind of trembling though. And just mentally very very out of it. I never went to the hospital and obviously lived through it, but I wonder if I shouldn't have - an IV would have probably helped get me through it a bit sooner.

Thanks for the story and the head's up. I consider myself lucky that I've never gotten to the point where I consider a 100 mile ride anything other than difficult. No matter how many I do, they always present a challenge somewhere during the ride.

-Ray

djg
08-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad that you're o.k.

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 06:37 AM
Good grief, glad you pulled thru and are fine. That was a very humid/hot day esp. so for the locals who I understand were experienceing their first really hot days. Adaptation to stress and heat would have helped and like you say a better scheme for hydration with adequate electrolytes. Dewd, I am glad to help you out anytime.

DfCas
08-29-2007, 07:35 AM
After a trip to the ER for me years ago,my Dr suggested I use a product called Thermo tabs.Any pharmacy can get these tablets that contain Na/K.About $6-7 dollars for a bottle of 100.1 in each water bottle.

It is possible to lose up to 1-1.5 grams per hour and these tablets contain .5 grams. The idea is you don't need to replace at 100%,but slow the loss.

I was fortunate in that I sensed something was amiss and was able to end the ride.It felt something like a bonk-no power,weakness,chills,etc.

The body's salts balance is quite delicate and extends beyond just Na.

Kevan
08-29-2007, 07:43 AM
So close yet so far, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. Man, I wish you had joined us for that beer, we had salsa and chips along with the suds and, boy, did that salt from the chips taste good. Honestly, that ride beat the snot out of me too and it wasn't until after the one cold beer and the chips that I started feeling like myself again. I appreciate alcohol doesn't help, but those chips...

Also, going through that bag-o-treats they gave us at the start were electrolyte tablets. On two separate occasions during the ride I popped two of them, four in total, thinking that my sodium levels would be depleted.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that you're okay. Oh yeah...one more thing...I decided to spend another night there in Greenfield simply because I knew I was going to be beaten and didn't want to face the 3.5 hr drive back home. It was the best thing I did.

Next year?

Fixed
08-29-2007, 07:55 AM
bro ironmen tri cats get this and other stuff like having your intestines die and having part of them them cut out ..that sucks
cheers :beer:

sg8357
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
On rides try these, a tablet you drop in the water bottle.
Like a salt tab + electrolytes.
The potassium is good, helps against cramping.

http://www.nuun.com/
annoying happy talk lifestyle website, but here is the important bit.

Sodium (carbonates) 360.0mg
Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0mg

Scott G.

rpm
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I learned about hyponatremia the hard way 11 years ago. I was racing in Salt Lake City at my first U.S. Transplant Games. The temp was in the high 90's and I was doing what everybody told me to do--drink lots of water. I felt OK after the race, but a couple of hours later I was throwing up and having severe chills, not a good sign in scorching weather.

Nobody talked about hyponatremia back then, and I'd never heard of it. Fortunately, doctors at the University of Utah hospital knew it well. I also got two IV's--one a saline solution, and the other a diuretic and I was fine the next day. The docs told me, though, that they thought I might have set the hospital's record for low sodium--117!

I've been careful about it ever since.

stevep
08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
a few years ago a young woman died from this at the boston marathon.
be careful out there.

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 09:13 AM
The Nuun looks like a neat product. I've used emergen-c as an alternative to popping endurolytes (hammer nutrition)...good product. Ultimately you need to work with one product and learn how to use/modify it for your requirements.

znfdl
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, glad that you are OK.

I have been there and Too Tall and I designed a very structured nutritional plan for long distance riding. If you need any help please feel free to drop me a line and I will impart any advice that I have to you.

OldDog
08-29-2007, 09:21 AM
and it wasn't until after the one cold beer and the chips that I started feeling like myself again.

My kinda buddy!!

big shanty
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
NUUN is great. I got three sleeves of it free at a recent race, makes you feel good.

jtferraro
08-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi BHL,

Quite a story indeed! I second other's comments about your wonderful wife. That was a close call and she seemed to make that call at the right time. Nice meeting you and hope to see you again.

davids
08-29-2007, 10:01 AM
1. I'm very glad to hear you're all right.

2. Thanks for sharing this difficult moment with us, and in such detail. Your embarrassing moment may help someone prevent the same mistake.

3. This is some serious stuff. stevep's right - a young, healthy woman died from this a few years back at the Boston Marathon. And members of my riding group witnessed another woman having an attack of hyponatremia on a pretty tame ride - She nearly drank herself to death. Very, very scary.

Tracer
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your story….scary stuff!

On a ride like this, what are the early warning signs to look for to prevent a trip to the emergency room?

I did the 65 miler and felt great during and after the ride (2 scoops perpetuem, 2 scoops endurolyte powder and 24 oz. of water an hour), but I can’t be sure how my system would have held up for another 4 hours of saddle time for the longer route especially in that heat.

Thanks

Chris

Kevan
08-29-2007, 12:08 PM

On a ride like this, what are the early warning signs to look for to prevent a trip to the emergency room?

I did the 65 miler and felt great during and after the ride (2 scoops perpetuem, 2 scoops endurolyte powder and 24 oz. of water an hour), but I can’t be sure how my system would have held up for another 4 hours of saddle time for the longer route especially in that heat.

Thanks

Chris

There is no real sign. Almost everyone doing this ride was pressed to their personal limit so with all systems on overload how can you tell?

I think it's more about having an understanding what the potential problems can be and making sure that you address them before things go wrong. Further, there are no guarantees.

CalfeeFly
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Hyponatremia ruined my life as I knew it. It is very serious.

Keep track of your sodium with some blood work. It can come back and once you have had it the return is easier. I did not know that and I wish I had.

Below is a link to Nashbar that carries the Powerbar Endurance Drink. I has 480 grams of sodium per 8 ounces. That is way beyond Gatorade. I linked Nashbar because it is on sale (a true 25 percent off) or better yet for 2 dollars more you get a very nice Tour/Powerbar t-shirt. They also have a recovery drink but I have not tried it.

Powerbar Endurance Drink (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000105&subcategory=60001071&brand=&sku=11622&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Nutritional%20Dri nks)

Be very careful now that you had it once. As you know when it hits you go "down" fast. Good luck.

jimcav
08-29-2007, 01:02 PM
still have a bottle from my last ironman
best way to combat sodium loss is to train for the heat--so your body looses
less salt in your sweat, and of course to replace what you loose.
the recipe for disaster is someone not acclimated to heat who has the fitness to push their body during an abnormally (for their training) long and/or hot event--so you get the marathoners and ironmaners in the news because they get to a race and go harder, hotter, longer than in training.
I often ride here in WA with no water or just one bottle for up to 2 hrs of riding. If i went back home where it is hot and humid with a heat index of 108 or so, i'd loose tons of salt.

succeed has over 300mg of sodium per caplet, almost 3-4 times what you get in a gatorade serving (or 8 times if what gatoroade counts as sodium is actually sodium chloride)

also consider some Ca/Mg/Zn supplements after hard event or training if you are having any cramping.

i read somewhere they thought the original runner/messenger who brought the news at marathon greece may have died of hyponatremia.

glad you are okay--i have had heat exhaustion--no fun, don't plan to go there again, nor to deplete my sodium. I hope all who read this learn the lesson mentally, not in the way you did.

jimcav
08-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Chris
nausea, cramps, weakness, confusion. basically if you think you need to drink, you do, and you are behind the curve by then, and you should be adding salt/electrolytes (again i like succeed caplets, but if you are mixing/using a drink with enough that is fine) if you are going hard enough or hot enough to sweat alot.

heat exhaustion sadly has similar symptoms, but as your body overheats you may get paradoxical feelings of cold--goose bumps, chills, etc. so then you need to get relief from the heat too.

be careful--all this is easily prevented.

Ginger
09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Wow, I missed this while I was gone. Glad to hear that you got the attention that you needed to.

Skrawny
09-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I missed it too. Ginger, thanks for "bumping" it.

BHL, I'm glad to hear you came through it without any major problems.
1) Thank you so much for sharing with us.
2) Men with significant others have been shown to live longer, this is a great example. Three cheers to your wife for saving your life! :beer: My fiance just saved my fertility by keeping a calm, logical, head while I had a urological emergency (here) (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=387213&postcount=39) (she said "you think you have torsion?! then why are you just sitting here? GET IN THE CAR, we're going to the hospital!!!)
3) You are right, everyone -including Gatorade- came out with endurance formulations after the New England Journal of Medicine article few years ago that showed significant and severe levels of hyponatremia in Boston Marathon athletes. We have discussed it here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18524&page=2&pp=15&highlight=hyponatremia) and also here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7788&highlight=hyponatremia) . This is one of the reasons that many endurance athletes have been drinking Pedialyte (higer sodium) although I can't stand the taste.
4) Salt is bad for people with high blood pressure and heart or kidney failure, but it is very important for endurance athletes!

Thanks, again. Good luck.
-s

beungood
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Would Hydralyte or Gookinaide help to guard against this also? Is this a problem in hot humid weather only or should we be careful of it now too?

Jack