PDA

View Full Version : New personal best speed - but maybe not

C5 Snowboarder
08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
My previous best speed on my Legend was 42.7 MPH, tonight I go out with a tailwind going downhill of course and see what my "max" speed reads when I get to the bottom after pedaling as fast as I can. That is Michelins ProRace 2s I am running. I think the Cateye is wrong - there is no way I hit 62 mph - maybe 50. I will not try to beat that. :beer:

Sandy
08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
One question. Were you on your Legend or were you in the snow somewhere, out of control, on a snowboard?? :)

:) Snowflake Sandy :)

C5 Snowboarder
08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
One question. Were you on your Legend or were you in the snow somewhere, out of control, on a snowboard?? :)
:) Snowflake Sandy :)

I think it would be faster on a snowboard -

Snowboarding Records from Guinness Book of World Records
Highest Speed on a Snowboard
The highest recorded speed by a snowboarder is 201.907km/h (125.459mph) by Darren Powell (Australia) at Les Arcs, France on 2 May 1999.

Ken Robb
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
look again--that was your cadence :banana:

Orin
08-28-2007, 10:21 PM
62 mph is unlikely. The contacts on the speed sensor can bounce causing all sorts of weird maximum speeds.

Orin.

rwsaunders
08-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Kilometers/hour?

C5 Snowboarder
08-28-2007, 10:59 PM
look again--that was your cadence :banana:

I do not have a cadence input. I think the closeup shows Mx and MPH .

pdxmech13
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I have gone a little over 55 on a few occasions and the sound in your ears is like nothing I have ever heard....the bike even feels different.

rwsaunders
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Chuck says "Welcome to the club".

slowgoing
08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
temperature???

onekgguy
08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
There's quite a bit of difference between 42 and 62 mph. At 42 you're working hard and fully aware of your surroundings. At 62 you're less aware of your surroundings and more fixed on your bike and how it's handling. The surroundings don't come into play with the exception of what's directly in front of you.

Kevin g

frenk
08-29-2007, 02:56 AM
With the appropriate road and tailwind it's possible. I once did 98 km/h (60.8 mph) in a fast downhill straight section in the alps. I know that section is fast and I always try to set my record there if there is tailwind.
I'm not sure I'd like to go much faster than that though.

I once saw an interview with Savoldelli, where he said he once hit 115 km/h (71.5 mph) in the Dolomiti... not hard to believe seeing how he regularly drops tv motorbikes...

William
08-29-2007, 05:22 AM
It's possible. I've gone above 60 mph a number of times coming down some passes in Oregon. I haven't found any hill here in RI that will get me close to that. I miss ripping down decents like that. Nothing better then laying down and carving down a mountain. :banana:

William

A.L.Breguet
08-29-2007, 05:24 AM
I had a cateye wireless for a while. I would often get erroneous(sic) max speed readings. Good 'pooter otherwise.

Ray
08-29-2007, 06:21 AM
I've never broken 50, but come pretty close a few times. Not sure I really want to. Anything above 40, and definitely above 45, feels very very fast. Not frightening, not out of control, but as much of a speed buzz as I need. No desire to go any faster really. I remember flying down some twisty mountain on the Cabot trail several years ago in the mid-40s and definitely at the limit of my comfort level. Then a couple of guys with full touring loads shot by my like I was standing still - scared the crap outta me. I talked to them at the bottom and they'd basically let their speed get out of control and couldn't slow down without horrible shimmy so they just let 'em run. They were more scared than I was watching them by a large amount. They made it, but the consequences of messing up on a descent like that are just too big for me to want to go any faster.

-Ray

pdonk
08-29-2007, 06:21 AM
The fastest I have gone is 89 km/hr, on a very long, very straight downhill. I do this regularily on this ride, and the bike and your surroundings do feel very different at 90km/hr vs 50km/hr. I get hyper aware of everything over 70km/hr, while between 50-70km I can be distracted.

Last weekend at provincials, people were recording speeds of 100km/hr on the downhill.

Ozz
08-29-2007, 06:55 AM
What hill were you on?

I run out a gear at about 45...my max is probably 50 or so....at which I start trying to remember in how good of condition are my tires. ;)

zank
08-29-2007, 07:08 AM
It's certainly possible. I've hit 63 coming down RT 2 in western MA and I hit 59 a couple weeks back on a steep drop in southern VT. For me, I can't tell much difference over 40. It all feels fast, but pretty much the same to me.

mcteague
08-29-2007, 07:22 AM
I just sent back a Blackburn due to sticky buttons but just before I did my max speed said 59mph. The steep hill on my ride had never gotten me above 50 so I was doubtful. I removed to computer to show someone and as I was carrying it the max speed jumped to over 100. Hmmm. Wireless cyclocomputers often tend to give you the occasional bad reading due to interference from other devices.

Tim McTeague

zap
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Wife and I were riding the tandem on our honeymoon and hit 55mph on the Blueridge Parkway in NC. I thought that we would beat my personal best of 57 mph on my single but nooooooooooooo. I looked back and saw that she was sitting straight up with her jacket flapping in the breeze looking quite unhappy.

Passing rv's and the steep drop off on the right scared her.........

xlbs
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
indeed fast. I think my top speed is around 55 mph. on a long descent once. My big chain-ring is 55, so it really winds out. I like the wind noises at that speed...

Ti Designs
08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
My older tandem has seen close to 70MPH in the white mountains turning a 58x12. I'm sure my new tandem is faster, but it's running a 53x12 as the largest gear, which we can spin on the flats.

A friend of mine once called me after crossing Skyline Drive in the Ramapo mountains in New Jersey and told me the Avocet 30 only goes up to 78 MPH. Put two fast track riders on a tandem at the top of a big hill and that's what you get...

C5 Snowboarder
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Looks like tandem is the way to go for speed biking... I wonder if it holds true for a snowboard, imagine a tandem alpine 18cm waist width board hardbooting it down Blackcomb BC. :banana:

I have gone scarry fast down freshly groomed Panorama @ Blackcomb on my 178 Volkl RT - wish Cateye made a snow speedometer.

that reminds me -- I gotta pay my health insurance this month. :)

Kevan
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I broke 50mph on two occassions, very briefly. I can't imagine wanting or needing to go any faster than that.

Falling isn't an option.

gt6267a
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Looks like tandem is the way to go for speed biking... I wonder if it holds true for a snowboard, imagine a tandem alpine 18cm waist width board hardbooting it down Blackcomb BC. :banana:

I have gone scarry fast down freshly groomed Panorama @ Blackcomb on my 178 Volkl RT - wish Cateye made a snow speedometer.

that reminds me -- I gotta pay my health insurance this month. :)

a gps device like either the garmin forefunner or edge 305 would be able to report your speed and map it ... skiing, driving, biking, walking etc. etc.

C5 Snowboarder
08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
a gps device like either the garmin forefunner or edge 305 would be able to report your speed and map it ... skiing, driving, biking, walking etc. etc.

Does it take into account a steep slope while snowboarding? imagine skydiving -- can gps tell you how fast you are falling?

scrooge
08-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I had a cateye wireless for a while. I would often get erroneous(sic) max speed readings. Good 'pooter otherwise.

Same here.

bigbill
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
According to Garmin, my max speed for the year is 508 mph. Most of my loops here in Sardinia have 45 mph descents with sweeping turns. I have gone faster than that in a straight descent in WA state, but I have no interest in cornering faster than that.

Another plug, my favorite top speed bike is my MX Leader, my favorite high speed cornering bike is Emma.

C5 Snowboarder
08-29-2007, 03:22 PM
According to Garmin, my max speed for the year is 508 mph. Most of my loops here in Sardinia have 45 mph descents with sweeping turns. I have gone faster than that in a straight descent in WA state, but I have no interest in cornering faster than that.

Another plug, my favorite top speed bike is my MX Leader, my favorite high speed cornering bike is Emma.

For 508 MPH don't you need a jet engine on the bike frame? I am suprised you could hold on at that speed! :beer: :beer:

bigbill
08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
For 508 MPH don't you need a jet engine on the bike frame? I am suprised you could hold on at that speed! :beer: :beer:
My eyes were watering up a little.

RPS
08-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Does it take into account a steep slope while snowboarding? imagine skydiving -- can gps tell you how fast you are falling?If it can measure elevation, why couldn't it be programmed to determine vertical speed?

andy mac
08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
a guy i know who has skied 213.65km/h (that is 132.7 mp/h) and he only has one leg. apparently after 180 you start lifting off.

he makes me feel very boring on so many levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Milton

http://www.michaelmilton.com/

50 or 60 on a bike is recreation fast. no bragging rights though.

:beer:

SPOKE
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
i really enjoy extremely fast decents. my max on my tandem was done many years ago on a training ride with a good friend that proved to be more fit than i expected. we managed to catch a draft off a fully loaded dump truck that took us up to 56mph. since we had to pedal to get up to that speed it turned out to be a little freaky when the the bike started bouncing a bit because we just couldn't pedal that fast and be smooth at the same time. (i really wish the bike had a 56t chain ring). on the single bike i have seen 54mph decending from Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge parkway. i really like the technical decents too. you know, the ones that actually force you to use your brakes in order to get thru the hairpin turns safely.
on the ride tonight i was riding my bike that has the PowerTap installed and just happened to check the max speed.......88.9mph! that's a sign.....time to change the batteries :beer:

imp25rs
08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
There's quite a bit of difference between 42 and 62 mph. At 42 you're working hard and fully aware of your surroundings. At 62 you're less aware of your surroundings and more fixed on your bike and how it's handling. The surroundings don't come into play with the exception of what's directly in front of you.

Kevin g

I can back this one up. I have hit just over 60 before and it can be a little unnerving. One little twitch of the handle bars and you are on the other side of the lane you are in.