PDA

View Full Version : Rims...again

chrisroph
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
So, I'm down to about 15 pairs of wheels and am feeling the need to build up some new rear wheels. I've just ordered two rear centaur 32 hole hubs from nashbar--$150 total delivered--and am thinking over what I really need.

1. I need a new cross clincher. I'm going to go cross 3 drive, cross 2 or 3 non drive, 14-15 db brass. I'm not all that crazy about OP because of the ticking issue. What do you all recommend?

2. I'm thinking of building a solid go anywhere tubular with similar spoking pattern to above. Rim recommendations please?

I'll probably T & S them both just because all of my T & S wheels feel extremely solid.

Thanks!

zank
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
1. Velocity Aerohead front and Aerohead OC rear.

2. Mavic Reflex is my go-to tubular rim.

Too Tall
08-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Ayup, what Zanky said...Aerohead. Best commuter wheelset I've ever had.

chrisroph
08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Cool thanks ok next q's, cross 3 centaur rear, aerohead OC what length spokes and what is the best place to procure rims?

same rear hub also cross 3 what length spokes with a reflex?

Thanks guys!

zank tires look great, thanks a bunch for getting them. I'm doing some gluing soon.

shinomaster
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
I hear that for cross velocity rims wear out faster...mavic uses better metal...

I was thinking of getting these. Are they really 280 grams?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPAGNOLO-Victory-Crono-Rims-NOS-32-hole-Tubular_W0QQitemZ300144044856QQihZ020QQcategoryZ56 197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bud
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Use spocalc.xls to calculate spoke lengths. I got my Velocity rims and spokes from wheelbuilder.com. Their service was good and the prices were reasonable. They verified my spoke lengths as well.

chrisroph
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I hear that for cross velocity rims wear out faster...mavic uses better metal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPAGNOLO-Victory-Crono-Rims-NOS-32-hole-Tubular_W0QQitemZ300144044856QQihZ020QQcategoryZ56 197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John, thanks for the advice on velocity, I'll also discuss this with my cross consultant. Josh, Mike what do you think about velocity for cross.

The rims are too much money. I don't know if they are as light as represented but if they are they are too light. The GEL 280s, the fiamme yellows, never had any durability. Most of the supposed sub-300 g Al rims are far too fragile to be of any use except perhaps for an uphill tt but carbon has the light rim market cornered.

shinomaster
08-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm sure you will get several seasons out of the velocities, especially if you just race on them. I was thinking of getting the ceramic coated rims....maybe tubbies.

Fixed
08-28-2007, 07:32 PM
bro imho i would say that 400 grams is a tough barrier for CLINCHER rims. For sewups, the reliable weight limit is about 300 grams. 380 - 400 grams rims, like the mavic GP4 (390) , were training rims, or race rims for rough roads. The "standard" racing rim, the GL-330, was 330 grams. And many of you cats remember the light weight racing rims, like the Mavic GEL-280, fiamme Ergal (275), . i'm doin a set of 330 i found nos to go with all the other old stuff i like ,chrisroph bro you know a lot more about this stuff than i do
cheers :beer:

regularguy412
08-28-2007, 09:09 PM

These are truly light rims. I have a set -- well,, _HAD_ a set. Now just have a front, as the rear developed a 'memory' after a crash and would never stay true. I agree with the fragility issue. The Campy Victory Crono and Record Crono rims are great for hilly road races on good roads, but I wouldn't recommend them for clydesdale riders or rough service. They sure do ride nice, though.

Mike in AR

zank
08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Chris, I have a set of Aerohead/Centaur wheels that I have used for cross for the past three seasons. I train on them and keep them in the pits when I am on my tubulars. I just checked the rim sidewall and everything feels good to me. But I will keep an eye on them now I guess. Glad you like the rubber. Happy gluing! Let me know how you like the ride.

Shino, Reflex Ceramics are a thing of the past....unless....you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who speaks French. Be prepared for a hefty price tag. Drop me a line and I can see if I can help you.

chrisroph
08-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Bud--Thanks for the tips.

Mike--Thanks for the advice. I've got lots of fronts but could use another rear. I think I'll build a velocity. I'll primarily ride the tubies I expect but its nice to have a set of cross clinchers too. Wish I had asked you to build me one of your sweet framesets. Perhaps next year.

Shino--Don't you have more wheels than Terry and me combined?

zank
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Mike--Thanks for the advice. I've got lots of fronts but could use another rear. I think I'll build a velocity. I'll primarily ride the tubies I expect but its nice to have a set of cross clinchers too. Wish I had asked you to build me one of your sweet framesets. Perhaps next year.

I will be here when you are ready. Maybe we can discuss it over beers when I come out for the GP.

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Chrisroph - For this season cross I have two wheelsets. First is velocity aerohead 32X using DT Onyx hubs, second are Velocity Pro (AKA Deep V) 32X using ancient DA hubs. Nuff said? If I had to choose an inexpensive clinchers set (perish the thought) I'd grab a set of ultegra/chorus OPs from a big box store.

chrisroph
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I will be here when you are ready. Maybe we can discuss it over beers when I come out for the GP.

Great idea.

chrisroph
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Chrisroph - For this season cross I have two wheelsets. First is velocity aerohead 32X using DT Onyx hubs, second are Velocity Pro (AKA Deep V) 32X using ancient DA hubs. Nuff said? If I had to choose an inexpensive clinchers set (perish the thought) I'd grab a set of ultegra/chorus OPs from a big box store.

gotcha J.

shinomaster
08-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Chris...my NOS Shamals are too nice and heavy to race cross on...
The issue with rims here in the NW is the constant riding in mud. It's always muddy here in the fall so all the training and racing involves grinding down the rims when you brake. It also trashes my hubs. YOU should see my back open pro I've used on my fuji for the past three seasons. I need to replace the rim. I'm a wuss though and I actually use my brakes.