PDA

View Full Version : Chainstay protection...?

PoppaWheelie
08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Anyone got any favorite solutions to keeping a painted chain-stay reasonably chip-free from chain slap? The stay is a little bit curvey, so a rigid protector won't work...and I do worry the adhesive damaging the paint if I ever take it off...

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! /Bryan

mpetry
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Try aircraft leading edge tape.

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/leadingedgetape.php

Peels right off with no goo or paint removal.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

PoppaWheelie
08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks, I'll grab a roll.

Spinner
08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
you can first build-up multiple layers of thickness on a clean, plastic kitchen cutting board, being careful to avoid over-stretching when aligning the edges of the individual tape layers. the length of your tape lamination can now be cut with uniform ends.

when applying to the stay, pick your line and work slowly, carefully pressing down on the tape to eliminate any air bubbles. this works best when the crank has been temporarily removed.

with a little practice, a 2-layer thickness is nearly invisible to the casual eye. the curvy and tapered legs, errr, stays of your serotta colorado concept ride can be protected without hurting the look.

Chief
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
you can first build-up multiple layers of thickness on a clean, plastic kitchen cutting board, being careful to avoid over-stretching when aligning the edges of the individual tape layers. the length of your tape lamination can now be cut with uniform ends.

when applying to the stay, pick your line and work slowly, carefully pressing down on the tape to eliminate any air bubbles. this works best when the crank has been temporarily removed.

with a little practice, a 2-layer thickness is nearly invisible to the casual eye. the curvy and tapered legs, errr, stays of your serotta colorado concept ride can be protected without hurting the look.

+1

08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Possibly not the tape that Spinner is specifically referring to (I got distracted by his diversion into legs) but 3M makes a multi-layer laminate tape for use on lower body panels on cars to prevent chipping. Very sophisticated stuff. You can buy small quantities of it for cycling purposes under a couple brands such as Veloskins (from Excel Sports). There's enough to do a horde of chainstays. It also is good stuff for putting on frame or forks under SKS Race Blades, clamp-on lights, etc. Comes off cleanly. It's also good to protect a frame from cable housing rub. A million uses. Back to legs ...

mpetry
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Forgot about that stuff. Even better!

Also clean the surface with Windex or alcohol or something before applying...

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

gdw
08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Use an old inner tube to pad the stay and electric tape. Cut out a section of tubing and slice it lengthwise. Trim it so that it covers the area of the stay you wish to protect and then tape it down. Wrap the tape around it like you do when taping your handlebars for complete protection. It can be done quite neatly and works great on or off road.

MilanoTom
08-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Clear hockey tape (as wrapped around the stockings to secure the shin guards) works for me. A good sized roll is only a couple of bucks. The only downside is that it will leave glue residue when removed, but it's not too tough to clean up.

I used to use clear packing tape for the wear points (e.g. side of the headtube where cables rub). That ended after I'd used it to secure an MS-150 number a few years ago. When the tape came off, so did some clear coat.

Regards.
Tom

victoryfactory
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
There are many commercial pressure sensitive chain
guards. Clear, black, faux carbon, etc
All of the on-line bike supply places have them.

VF

Kevan
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
peanut butter.

I found it diverts my concern for my chainstay.

Sandy
08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
peanut butter.

I found it diverts my concern for my chainstay.

So if I comletely covered my body with peanut butter, would that protect me from you, or would you try to chew my head off?? (as if you don't already) :) :)

Nut Case Sandy

PoppaWheelie
08-28-2007, 03:34 PM
But it melts off when the temp exceeds 105. Works great in the bottom bracket though...

Alas, the bike in question does not have the svelte Serotta legs (Think of a number between six and eight). We like 'em large... ;)

eddief
08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
http://store.somafab.com/sochpr.html

Fixed
08-28-2007, 08:13 PM
stay in the big ring
cheers

Steelhead
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM

+1 for my shiny Candy Apple Red chain stays!