PDA

View Full Version : the big five-o

Climb01742
07-05-2004, 09:23 AM
today i'm 50. god, when you're 20, you can't imagine being 50. but i'm ok with it. no strange feelings. no urge to date 18 year olds. ok, i do have an urge to buy a porsche, but i've always had that urge.

i think the biggest feeling i have today is being curious. curious about aging. so here's what i'm going to do: for the next year, i'm going to train to ride the 2005 mt. washington hill climb. i'm going to use the next year and my body as sort of an experiment. i've never really totally committed myself to do everything i could to achieve an athletic goal. i've always had some half-*ssed aspect to my athletic stuff.

in high school, i was willing to puke my guts out after running 440 repeats, but i wasn't willing to eat right, get enuf sleep or not get polluted whenever i could.

in my 20s, doing triathlons, i did insane amounts of training volume, but i ate like crap and had no coaching, no system, no logic to my training, i just beat myself into the ground.

and nowadays, i'm eating pretty well (but not great), and i push myself hard, but again, without any logic or system. i ride, or run, or lift kinda as a feel each day. which is more fun, but not so productive.

so i've always kinda wondered...if i really put my mind and body to something, really gave something my best shot, what might i be able to do? and being 50 adds kind of a neat additional angle. is age about years, or more about compromises we make, or things we let slide? is it predetermined or do we by our actions, determine it? i'm psyched to explore nutrition, training, mind-body stuff, technique -- try to touch all the bases.

instead of doing an athletic thing half-*ssed, i'm curious to try something full-*ssed! ;)

i guess there are two other things i'm curious about too. can i make the journey, the next year of training, as important to me as the goal is -- meaning to not let the goal overwhelm the journey. and second, to see what my real goal is. we often start things thinking they are about one thing, but then later realize we were really after something else. climbing a mountain is too rich of a symbol to not be about more than just climbing a mountain.

this post has one last purpose. don't let me punk out, kids. i figured if i posted this goal, this plan, this idea, punking out would be pretty hard. attaining a goal like i'm after involves sacrifices and some small "s" suffering. private goals are easier to abandon. public ones are harder to punk on. maybe that's part of the goal too, the exploration. how much sacrifice am i willing to make for a non-essential, non-materialistic goal?

and thanks to everyone for their very kind birthday wishes.

BumbleBeeDave
07-05-2004, 09:31 AM
. . . that's a great goal! I also think you will rue the day you let us in on it! There is a reason they call this "The Enforcer Forum!"

I also think that if you are still with that lady you intriduced us to at Owner's Weekend, then you have no need to date 18-year-olds . . . ;)

Happy Birthday!

BBDave

Kevin
07-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Climb,

Get off the forum. You should be training.

Kevin

Bill Bove
07-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Happy Birthday Climb!! Take the rest of the day off. I'm going to be there soon too and have been wondering how I'm going to react to it. I've never had the urge to buy a Porsche but man those 18 year olds... Oh, please god I don't want to turn 50 in jail...

slowgoing
07-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Climb - I'll see you there a year from August. I'll be way behind you the whole way, but I'll be there. Happy birthday.

MallyG
07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Happy birthday Climb! You know, the reason I'm doing l'Etape is because I turned 45 last month - also some of my riding pals have just turned 50, so that was their incentive. Have a good one and stay young!

soulspinner
07-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Happy 50th, you preceed me by 18 months and Ive been bumming about it. Uplifting reading your post, thanks...

ericmurphy
07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Happy Bidet, I mean B-Day, Climb. But don't worry; I'm catching up!

My goal is a bit more modest than yours is. My goal is to ride 4,000 miles a year for the next 30 years. Even if those miles are done at 10 miles an hour for the last ten years.

I'm going to see if I can put 120,000 miles on my Legend. Hopefully I've seen the last Starbucks napkin incident...

BumbleBeeDave
07-05-2004, 07:56 PM
There’s a pair of Benihana take-out chopsticks in the road! ;)

BBdave

dbrk
07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Many Hppy returns of the day, Climbpal. I have a chanting CD for you for your birthday and with the 36 yogis now gone from our house I may actually get to send it out to you and get to go for a long, long bike ride. I've been limited to two hour jaunts. I look forward to your possible visit to the Finger Lakes at summer's end, but let's not rush things. There's hours of road and a race to enjoy for some weeks ahead. But today we celebrate you, so good'on'ya', pal.

dbrk

Dekonick
07-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Joyeux Anniversaire!

Happy Birthday!

and - age has no limitations. You can do anything you want! :D

keno
07-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Happy Birthday and glad to hear of your commitment, so to speak.

As a 62 yo who is spending much time learning track racing at Trexlertown this summer and planning to start racing there with the cat5's and cat4's on Saturdays, I can feel your gain.

BTW, was this part of your power training inquiry? Never heard back from you. What do you think you will do?

keno

va rider
07-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Happy Birthday Climb and what a great idea. You can definately kick butt on Mt. Washington!

When is the ride? Maybe I will join you.

Climb01742
07-06-2004, 08:25 AM
va rider--mt washington climb is held each august. registration opens in feb. always seems to fill up fast. field is limited to 600. so, come feb. 1, 2005, i'm getting my application in. company would be very welcome.

keno--about power meter...for the first time in my life, i'm getting a coach. i'll see what the coach says about installing a power trap.

weisan
07-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Happy Birthday, Climb-MtWashington.com!

Kevan
07-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Climb, i'm right behind you, pacelining. I gotz 7 months until the big 5-0 meself. I'm hoping for a new bike myself, but fear college payments will be winning out. :confused:

Serotta PETE
07-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Climb, happy birthday and many more to come. (I have forgotten what 50 was like) BUT I still enjoy biking, wine, and mixed company.

Enjoy riding and the plan for Mt. Washington.

Spokes and I hope to see you at DBRK finger lakes bas

RABikes2
07-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Happy 50th Climb! I'll be 50 in January, and Sweetie...it's only getting better! ;) Congrats on making Mt. Washington a goal...YOU WILL DO GREAT! :) :)
RA
Duhhh...where's Mt. Washington? :confused:

Russ
07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Hey Climb,

Stay healthy and young.... for many more to come!

By the way, if someone ever tells you that you are "over the hill" tell them this: "That's great! Now life is really fun... When was the last time you had fun going UP hill?"

Hope we'll see you/meet you at the TdFL

Climb01742
07-08-2004, 07:05 AM
RA--mt washington is in new hampshire. known as the sort of unofficial hill climbing championship every year. tyler held old record. tom danielson has current men's record. the only record i'm shooting for is fewest aches and pains per mile of climbing. ;)

and russ--will definitely see you at TdFL. can't wait.

RABikes2
07-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Where and when (and how far) in NH? I love it there and depending on when it is, might be able to schedule it. My nephew lives in Peterborough and I've raced/trained at Lake Sunapee; anywhere near either one?

What, where, and when is tdFL?? :confused:

Climb01742
07-08-2004, 09:46 AM
mt washington is in august. this year's race is closed, all 600 places are taken. so gotta shoot for '05.

TdFL is last week in august this summer. look under "gatherings" section of phorum for all the details. it'll be tons o' fun.