PDA

View Full Version : Aero Wheels: Which One?

znfdl
08-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Well I am probably going to bite the bullet this fall/winter and purchase a set of aero wheels. The wheels will be used exclusively for ultra events, therefore no tubulars and no I do not want to get into a tubular versus clincher discussion.

I am hoping to get rider's feedback on the aero wheels that they have used. I can not afford Lew nor Lightweight wheels.

Thanks.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 08:35 AM
HED Jets seem to provide a lot of bang for the buck and there always seem to be some on eBay.

Zipps seem to be a good choice as well but they are a little costlier.

I think you are on the right track waiting until late fall/winter as everyone will have shown if they have anything new at Interbike and you might be able to find some "leftovers" at a better price.

Given the boom in triathlons, etc. it would not be beyond the realm of possibility to see more "budget" minded wheels for entry level competitors or those on a tighter budget coming out of the show.

Just my thoughts.

BK

LegendRider
08-28-2007, 08:40 AM
You should be able to get a nice set of clincher Mavic Cosmic Carbones on eBay for around $900.

toaster
08-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Mavic Cosmic Carbone clinchers or Zipp Flash Points.

maccpres
08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Last fall I decided on the Hed Jet 50's. I've been riding them as my everyday wheel (unless it looks like rain :) I have about 4000 miles on them and they are still true and rolling good. The Mavic Carbone might me more durable but it's about 150 to 200 grams heavier and costs a little more too.

LegendRider
08-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Here in Atlanta, it's very rare to see Hed wheels. We're a Zipp and Mavic town. Are they more common in other parts of the country?

TAW
08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
is for the Carbones. I bought a used set from a forumite and I use them
for certain races and I've been very happy with them. I would highly recommend them, and you wouldn't be sorry about the weight.

Too Tall
08-28-2007, 09:44 AM
What is the rim depth on Carbones vs Deep Vee? ZNFNDL is riding semi unsupported most of the time so having wheels with normal spokage is not a bad thing right?

zap
08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
For your app, Mavic Carbone. Simple hubs, sturdy spokes, solid rims and proven aero design.

Tom
08-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Buy two. Bikes work better with two wheels.

Fixed
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
bro are all aeros ugly?
cheers

justinf
08-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I've been pretty happy with my Reynolds Stratus wheelset. Mine are tubulars but I've heard good things about the clinchers too.

ergott
08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been riding with Reynolds DV 46 carbon clincher rim. Love them. You can get them stock or built custom now. The braking is excellent (both overall strength and the ability to modulate). I've purposely taken them over some crappy roads and even off road. They are holding up with no worries. I will throw them on the cross bike when I get it just for fun.

The veloplugs fit these rims which I like, but isn't a must. I put on Michelin Pro Race Limited tires on (the real limited ones) and they went on without any drama. The center of the rim bed is deeper which I think helps a bunch.

I updated my gallery shots if you want to see the wheels I'm talking about.

IF you want a good budget rim, the Flashpoint rim isn't bad. They are similar to the clincher 404 in dimensions and weight. They have an aluminium brake track.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
For repairability, take a look at HED Bastognes.

They are about $800, SUPER light (1409g for the pair), and have tested better aero that Zipp 303's.

You can even get a ceramic bearing upgrade for about $75.00 if you're into that.

BK

1centaur
08-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Where did you see the Bastognes testing more aero than 303s? Since I just read somewhere else that 303s tested more aero than the much deeper Carbones I'm wondering what would make Bastognes that aero.

Ti Designs
08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
The wheels will be used exclusively for ultra events

To me this doesn't really define what you're looking for. Break it down to three parameters, aerodynamics, weight (at the outside of the wheel) and durability. I can see durability being a big issue, weight and aerodynamics are somewhat in question. As an ultra event, what kind of average speed and what kinds of elevation changes do you expect to see? If you take away any climbing, there's something to be said for heavy wheels. My best time trials on the track were done using an 8 pound disk wheel. Adding energy to a system on a steady basis causes less fatigue than changing efforts based on conditions.

stevep
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
cosmic carbones.
best wheels out there.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
centaur -

That info came from HED based on testing done by Cervelo in a low speed wind tunnel.

I guess it surprised even them.

BK

jhcakilmer
08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Mavic Carbones....absolutely. I would recommend the less expensive models with a alloy braking surface. I'm sure they're making carbon surfaces better these days, but still don't compared to the alloy version, for stopping power, and predicatablilty.

1centaur
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
That info came from HED based on testing done by Cervelo in a low speed wind tunnel.

I guess it surprised even them.
BK

Can you give a source? I just Googled a lot of different ways and the only hint I got was Gerard at Cervelo saying those wheels are more aero than people think. I also got quotes from Hed when they invented the wheels that they were NOT aero. Having felt the aero nature of Fulcrum Zeros I can believe that bladed spokes give a stealthy aero quality to low profile rims, but I am having a tough time with the thought that all the aero work behind 303s are trumped by a low profile wheel.

steelrider
08-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Old-style Campagnolo Shamals. People still claim them to be among the most aero ever. They are heavy, howver. And the cool factor is there in spades.

pdxmech13
08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd go for a set of bontrager 5.0 ac's.
1700g's of goodness.

Bruce K
08-29-2007, 05:11 AM
The information was part of a telephone conversation where one of their folks was giving me instructions on how to service the hub on the rear wheel of my Meivici.

We were discussing choices for a "winter upgrade" since the Bastognes are about 0.4# lighter than the ALPS that I originally built the bike with. He then said, that they had just gotten data from a test with Cervelo that surprised the heck out of them and that these wheels were actually quite aero and that it might not be worth the cost to put a deeper rim section for every day riding, given the amount of aero gain.

BK

znfdl
08-29-2007, 07:49 AM
To me this doesn't really define what you're looking for. Break it down to three parameters, aerodynamics, weight (at the outside of the wheel) and durability. I can see durability being a big issue, weight and aerodynamics are somewhat in question. As an ultra event, what kind of average speed and what kinds of elevation changes do you expect to see? If you take away any climbing, there's something to be said for heavy wheels. My best time trials on the track were done using an 8 pound disk wheel. Adding energy to a system on a steady basis causes less fatigue than changing efforts based on conditions.

Ti good questions. I would like an aero wheel that is durable and not too heavy. The ultras that I will do next year are mostly flat to rolling, atleast by Virginia standards. If I could get a 1500-1600 gram wheelset I would be really happy.

I hope to be able to replicate some of my faster ultra speeds where I would average 20mph for 20+ hours.

A couple of wheelsets come to mind are the Reynolds Status rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs or a set of Nimble crosswinds. The carbones also look interesting.

Fixed
08-29-2007, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=znfdl]
I hope to be able to replicate some of my faster ultra speeds where I would average 20mph for 20+ hours.

bro man your are a strong cat imho
keep it up
cheers

Spicoli
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I've had Hed's and totally agree with Bruce K's high opinion of them. I had Stinger 50's and truth be told, I would take/want them back! unloading them was a big mistake. Hed makes a great product IMO and FYI the wheels I replaced them with are the coveted Carbone SL's. I know that is crazy talk around here but its atleast a tie and sometimes I think I liked the Hed's a little better though it could be the "fond memories" talkin? Carbone's and Hed's are both great wheels period, not sure if there is anything made that will be So So So much better than them so you really cannot lose either way?

timto
08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I received mine earlier this year - yes they are rather heavy but I found this noticable only when comparing to another wheel with the hand scale test.

On the road however - these wheels seem to keep their speed. When you stop pedalling they feel like they want to keep going. I know this sounds hokey but i do NOT notice the weight when riding at all.

FWIW I got mine for ~650 off of craigslist with skewers (no bags). Also they were of the older hub which I prefer more - not the SLs which are 100g lighter.

ALSO: Crazy huge decals make me feel self conscious. What does it mean!?
Yes I would buy again.

tim

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Ti good questions. I would like an aero wheel that is durable and not too heavy. The ultras that I will do next year are mostly flat to rolling, atleast by Virginia standards. If I could get a 1500-1600 gram wheelset I would be really happy.

A couple of wheelsets come to mind are the Reynolds Status rims laced to DT swiss 240 hubs or a set of Nimble crosswinds. The carbones also look interesting.

Oooooooo, forgot about crosswinds :) Those are fast wheels bub.

zap
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM

I really wonder if the Nimbles are as good as some people claim. Data on these wheels is all over the place-from slightly better than Mavic Carbone to about as bad as regular 32 spoked wheels.

I also think that you will not like all carbon rims. Braking can be tricky and when it's wet and your tired.............

You can try my old Carbones.....after my last race.

Bruce K
08-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Znf;

Depending on your driveline, you could try out some of my wheel sets when you are here.

BK

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Crosswind clinchers have an alum. rim surface and are really durable...crash replacement dealio is nice and the owner answers the phone. Dang maybe I'll buy a few sets for myself ;) hehe.

sspielman
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Mavic Cosmic Car-Boners. Aero. Durable. Aluminum braking surface for real braking. They have been around forever for a reason. It's still surprising how many pros own their own set and race them regardless of sponsorship either with decals or without.

ThasFACE
08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Another vote for carbones. Love the way they ride and they sound cool too.

znfdl
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Crosswind clinchers have an alum. rim surface and are really durable...crash replacement dealio is nice and the owner answers the phone. Dang maybe I'll buy a few sets for myself ;) hehe.

TT: My birthday is next month... :D

Zap thanks for the offer, let me know when your last race is, so we can arrange a time.

Bruce if you run Campy, that would be nice. Thanks.

Bruce K
08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Nope, the other stuff, but one of the guys I ride with might be Campy.

I'll check.

BK

Simon Q
08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Where did you see the Bastognes testing more aero than 303s? Since I just read somewhere else that 303s tested more aero than the much deeper Carbones I'm wondering what would make Bastognes that aero.

I have also read that about 303s v Carbones. My undersatnding it isn't just depth, shape is also critical which is where Zipps have the edge. If you want aero then go for Zipp.

Apparently Zipp are about to unleash a new array of wheels at Eurobike...

Matt Barkley
08-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Maybe not Carbones - which are awesome wheels - comfortable and fast - but a bit twitchy with a lot of wind - especially if you are exhausted from Ultra Distance stuff. I would suggest (I can't believe I am doing this) some Reynolds Carbon Clincers. The MV32cs I believe. Get a really good wheelbuilder to build them up around DT240 and appropriate spkoe number ft and rear. These rims are strong!, aero - and really - realy comfortable. To me they actually deaden the ride. Which may be a desireable thing for you ultra-distance dudes.
I never really understood why anyone would want a carbon clincher - they really aren't that light - just do a tuby - maybe they make sense for a trainig wheel for your racing carbones so you don't have to trade out b pads. But after testing them out I can see a comfort advantage, especially while trying to achive a deep-v aero wheel -- with comfort... Cheers :beer: - matt

aeropatterson
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
The aeolis 6.5 is a very fast (fastest) wheel, especially when paired with the aero clinchers that fill in the tire - rim joint. Fast, fast. Not ultra-light, but do you want ultra light? That's where a wheel will get twitchy. The carbones are my second pitch, being slightly less aero in a crosswind and slightly less $$.

Climb01742
09-04-2007, 05:41 AM
braking is an issue. i have two pairs of bontrager aeolus 5.0s. love, love, love the ride. as matt b. said, carbon clinchers can really mellow out the road. rode same bike, same everything except aeolus vs very nice hand-built DT swiss rimmed/hubbed wheels and aeolus felt noticeably smoother, more mellow over bad roads.

BUT... braking is worse. i would not ride the aeolus in wet or if i knew there was gonna be lots of cars/traffic. the difference between alu rim braking is huge and at the wrong moments, spooky.

maybe check out the new aeolus with the alu braking surface... or carbones.