PDA

View Full Version : hub on wheels, boston ride

stevep
08-28-2007, 06:47 AM
there is mention elsewhere but there is a ride through and around boston coming up called hub on wheels. it is sept 23rd and is a event to assist boston schools.
route goes up storrow drive and through some of the tunnels..all closed to traffic and normally slosed to bikes.
mebbe get a showing for the ride?
hubonwheels.org

or:
info@hubonwheels.org email

i have davids' credit card # so i will buy drinks after the ride for whoever shows up.

Bill Bove
08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
It'd be more fun starting at Franklin Park, going up Blue Hill Ave into the Back Bay then over to the aquerium and Rowe's Wharf, a lap around the Q.M. and The Gahdin, over the bridge and up to Bruce's place with maybe a stop at the Kowloon or the site of the old banana for Eddie A.

znfdl
08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
As a person who grew up just west of Boston, this is always a ride that I wanted to do. The best part is that my wife has given me permission. Anybody have room for a weary traveler from DC for Saturday and Sunday night. PS: I will bring some nice wine.

Bart001
08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm in Europe the week before that, and I'm not sure when I'm coming back yet.

But that sounds REALLY fun! I could probably fly back from Zurich on Saturday, get some sleep, and ride on Sunday.

Znfndl, depending on when I get home, I certainly have room in Hopkinton if that helps. It's not the most convenient location, being 26.2 miles from Boston :D I need to firm up those travel plans.

Bart001
08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Steve, maybe start a thread in the "rides, events, etc." forum?

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
znf-

You are good to go here. Be fore-warned - we have a dog and 3 cats.

But the good news is the teenager has gone to college !!! :banana:

I guess I am skipping the Bedford cross race to ride this thing too. :banana: :banana:

Time to dust of the Concours. No Meivici on this ride.

BK

znfdl
08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks all for the kindness, I will be staying with 39 Cross. Hopefully we can do a ride on saturday that includes lunch at Woodman's, I can taste the fried clams and it brings back fond memories.

davids
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm almost certainly in.

I wouldn't normally spend $40 to ride around town (unless stevep's paying. and we know what that means.), but this is for a good cause (http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/digitalbridge/foundation.html).

And $45 for a Voler jersey! How can you go wrong? Well, there is that "Team International Bicycle Centers" group. Probably a bunch of jerks, atmo...

znfdl,

If I had an extra bedroom, you'd be more than welcome. Sorry...

Bill,

C'mon up and we'll show you how much the place has changed...

znfdl
08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
It will be an interesting ride for me, as I moved out of the Boston area permanently in 1983.

39cross
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
This looks like a lot of fun - and how can you go wrong at an event where stevep is willing to spend someone else's money? I found this interesting tidbit on the website:

"A hybrid or mountain bike is preferable. The route goes on some bike paths and unpaved sections that are not ideal for road bikes."

No warnings, though, on wearing helmets in the infamous tunnel.

znfdl
08-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I hope that 25mm tires will be enough.

davids
08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
If the route map is accurate, I'd expect some stretches of poorly-maintained bike path, and more than a few stretches of poorly-maintained pavement. But very little that's truly "off road" - e.g. there's a few hundred feet just past the JFK Library that are dirt; Another few hundred feet along the Neponset where the bikepath is very fine gravel. I ride my Love, with 22mm Veloflex Paves, on that path almost daily. No harm at all.

And again, if the map is accurate - The ride doesn't go through the infamous tunnels. But cruising down Storrow Drive looks fun!

I'll probably ride my Axiom, with Aeroheads and 23mm Pro2 Races, just so I can go slow enough to drag stevep around town...

p.s. I talked with my boss last night about the Mayor's (her boss') new-found enthusiasm for cycling. He's really into it, as far as she can tell. There may be some hope for a real city commitment to making this place more cycle-friendly. cross fingers...

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 01:14 PM
znf-

Rick is right down the street from here, about an 8 mile warm-up ride. A Saturday ride is certainly something we can do. Maybe we can entice stevep and a few others to make the drive.

My bike of choice will either be the Concours on Pro Race2's (700X23) or the Concours Cross on Michelin Jets. That one won't be as fast but it might be more fun.

BK

Bart001
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I only have one bike, so it's the Concours on Bontrager Race Lite 23's.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
david;

where did you see the voler jersey?

BK

znfdl
08-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I regsietered for the ride. The choice will be to ride the Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Fixed or my Vanilla. Definitely a hard choice.

davids
08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
david;

where did you see the voler jersey?

BK
Click here (http://www.hubonwheels.org/register.html), and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the image.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Got it.

Thanks.

I guess I'd better register.

David, we'll have to find a day for you to try the Ottrott. Maybe if we do a Saturday ride you could get up here a few minutes early and we can swap pedals and adjust the saddle.

BK

Bart001
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I registered too. I'll work my travel plans so that I'm back. At worst, it'll be a jet-lagged ride.

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe it's time to move this thread to the Rides, Events, etc. area.

I'll start a "Roll Call" over there.

Hey hardlyrob, you in? Do you want a lift?

It sounds like we will have a nice group.

BK

Hardlyrob
08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks Bruce - looks like it will work for me. I'll register today. I'd love to share a ride into the BIG CITY (cue scary music).

Cheers!

Rob

stevep
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
can this thread be moved to the rides section?
i did not think about it when i started it.
any advice?
serotta james?
bueller?
anyone?
anyone?

Bart001
08-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I regsietered for the ride. The choice will be to ride the Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Fixed or my Vanilla. Definitely a hard choice.

I've never seen a Vanilla (other than in photos). Maybe you better not bring that one ;)

Fixed
08-28-2007, 07:21 PM
bro life can be tough imho
cheers bro i'd ride a skateboard to ride with those cats .
cheers

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 07:31 PM
puch -

All the "cool cats" are over at the new "lunch tab.... nah, let's not go there.

I started a new thread under the Rides section. It looks like we'll have a nice little (and growing) group.

Be there or be square. ;) :D :banana:

BK