PDA

View Full Version : CatEye Strada Wireless

mcteague
08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I just installed a new computer, a CatEye Strada Wireless, and think it is the nicest design since the original Avocet 20. I like a cyclocomputer that just gives me the basics and otherwise stays out of the way. You hardly notice it when mounted on the stem and the wireless part cleans up that clutter. Hopefully it will hold up as my old Sigma was replaced several times under warranty and then just died for good. I had a Blackburn for a short time but it was too bulky and the center button had to be pressed many times to get it to respond. With the Strada you just push the bottom of the unit to cycle through the menu. The only part I don't like is the large knob on the band. CatEye makes a big deal that no tools are needed to put it on but you need cutters to trim the zipties on the sensor. I guess I could chew then off with my teeth in order to make it a truly tool less job!

Tim McTeague

saab2000
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I have two Strada computers, both WITH cables. I also like the look of the wireless design, but have been very underwhelmed by the reliability including those from Cateye. I believe Cateye makes the best computers, but I am not wild about the wireless reliability.

That said, the design is pretty nice. Very compact and light. It is a bit easy to lean on the computer and have the numbers zeroed out.

Also, on the wired design, the magnet sensor is very compact and held in place which an elastic band. At first I thought it would slip, but so far so good.

BTW, the computer in the picture looks like it is at an angle, but it's actually level to the ground. :D

Bart001
08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
I can't seem to kill mine. I "need" cadence, but my 6 yr old Cateye, sans cadence, is working perfectly fine. It's been rained on, banged around, etc., and just keeps doing its rather mundane job.

I really like the BIG numbers on that Strada. I need reading glasses a lot of the time, and a cycling computer that crams a ton of tiny numbers into a small display just doesn't do "it" for me.

saab2000
08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
I can't seem to kill mine. I "need" cadence, but my 6 yr old Cateye, sans cadence, is working perfectly fine. It's been rained on, banged around, etc., and just keeps doing its rather mundane job.

I agree. They are extremely durable. At least the cabled versions. I tried the wireless and they didn't last. Looked good though!

I have a couple of Mitys (the original small Cateyes) which are just a battery away from working again.

Frankly, I wish they would come out with the original Mity, just updated. I guess the Strada is that new Mity, though I preferred the old 2-button design to the new 'whole-computer-is-the-button' design.

Personal preference from a semi-retrogrouch!

PBWrench
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I've got this unit as well and really like it. It's very cool that you click on the whole computer rather than buttons.

Chris
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Would it be possible to replace the knob with a smaller but similar threaded screw?

Flat Out
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I've got this unit as well and really like it. It's very cool that you click on the whole computer rather than buttons.

I have it, too. Love it.

fierte_poser
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM

I really like the BIG numbers on that Strada. I need reading glasses a lot of the time, and a cycling computer that crams a ton of tiny numbers into a small display just doesn't do "it" for me.

Bart, I could probably cut you a sweet deal on a used Cateye Astrale (w/ cadence). Probably has only ~300 miles on it.

Let me know,
Kent

sg8357
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I have a wired Strada, the contacts between the computer and mount flake out every once in a while. Jiggling the computer will get the computer to read again. The Mighty mount works better and the screw band is less clunky looking than the tool free system on the Strada.

Scott G.

Alan
08-28-2007, 06:07 AM
How does the sensor mount? I have an older wireless model and have problems with the mount moving around a lot which means I have to ck it before rides. Can you post a pic of the sensor on the fork?

I agree that basics are the best. Time, speed and distance.

Alan

mcteague
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
How does the sensor mount? I have an older wireless model and have problems with the mount moving around a lot which means I have to ck it before rides. Can you post a pic of the sensor on the fork?

I agree that basics are the best. Time, speed and distance.

Alan

Here it is.

Tim McTeague

Bart001
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Bart, I could probably cut you a sweet deal on a used Cateye Astrale (w/ cadence). Probably has only ~300 miles on it.

Let me know,
Kent

Thanks Kent! This thread planted a seed in my brain, and I went to my LBS on the way home last nite (well it's past my house, but anyway . . .) and sprang for a Cateye Double Wireless. It's too much money, but you only live once.

fierte_poser
08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey, no problem! Enjoy the new toy!