PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Stars

paczki
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Today I was riding my usual short route -- from BU down Beacon Street, over to Commonwealth in Newton, left at Washington, onto Glen Street (nice hill), Then up to Regis College on Weston Street and then Newton (fun rolling hills, you can ride it like a roller coaster) back to Commonwealth Avenue on home. For those of you from Boston its a great route, and you can add to it by going up Glezen to Sudbury, etc. Anyway I was sitting behind a car which had a right turn signal on, waiting to go (I'm a very polite rider -- too tired to get aggro) and the guy in the car starts yelling at me. Shaved-head, biker wannabe lunkhead. I yell back "I'm waiting for you to turn what do you want!" Really, nothing more. Then he yells "You little faggot" and makes to pull a u-turn like he's going to run me over.

I was of course complemented that he called me little, being nearly 6'3" and 205. The training must be doing me good. And I took the "faggot" comment to refer to how good I looked in lycra and how much he desired me, so again I was not really hurt. Also his desire to run me over made me sprint up Heartbreak Hill real fast (crested at 17 which is fast for me up that hill). So I can thank him for that. But it brought me back to my years of martial arts training (Tai Chi, Bagua, Hsing-I -- the monkey plucks the peach stuff) and I thought Ninja Throwing Stars are really the weapon of choice for a cylist. You can keep them in the jersey pocket, you can throw them while riding. I've got to get some and work on throwing them. That or throwing knives. But the stars are nice and retro, go with my wool jersey in a kind of Bruce Lee way.

Aaron

d_douglas
08-27-2007, 12:12 PM
There is something timeless about a throwing star.

They never go out of style... Except if they're purple anodized

BURCH
08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
As your story was unfolding I kept wondering where the stars would come in. I pictured you flying down the road while ducking throwing stars.

While I would not recommend throwing anything at a car. The thought of a cyclist taking out a car tire with a throwing star is amusing.

Bradford
08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
The only problem is that half the people here won't use anything Japanese...does Campy make throwing stars? :D

Kevan
08-27-2007, 12:19 PM
hissy fits instead.

Just another option is all I'm sayin'.

michael white
08-27-2007, 12:31 PM
anyone got a handlebar clamp for a bamboo blowgun?

Bruce K
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
paczki -

Cute story.

Are you going to do the Hub on Wheels ride? It looks like a fun way to see Boston from a bike.

I hear the Mayor may even take part now that he has his Trek "road bike".

(There was an article recently in the Boston Globe about how the mayor was so enthused about cycling now that he had a "road bike" - it appears to be a Trek Lime in the picture).

BK

paczki
08-27-2007, 02:19 PM
My girfriend, also Paczki, suggested titanium throwing stars for the weight weenie. Maybe Ti Designs could make some?

I like the bamboo dart gun idea in principal, but it seems like in practice it would cause real problems with drag.

I'll do Hub on Boston, looks like great fun. Thanks for reminding me about it. We'll wear our "Team Paczki" jerseys.

musgravecycles
08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Great idea, but Ti won't hold much of an edge...
;)

I've almost thrown bottles at a couple of people recently, You'd think that people in/around Asheville would be cycling friendly...

Bruce K
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm guessing zanc or e-richie could make really cool logo'd stars.

The only problem is it would take 6months to 3.5 years to get them !! :rolleyes: ;) :D

Some freinds of mine are talking about doing Hub on Wheels. It does sound like fun, but I have to decide between that ride and the Bedford Springs cross race. If I do Hub, I may try and do it on my single speed. Somehow the Ottrott seems like overkill. :cool:

BK

davids
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
paczki -

Cute story.

Are you going to do the Hub on Wheels ride? It looks like a fun way to see Boston from a bike.

(There was an article recently in the Boston Globe about how the mayor was so enthused about cycling now that he had a "road bike" - it appears to be a Trek Lime in the picture).

BK
Thanks for reminding me, Bruce - I meant to post a link to the Globe's story on Saturday. Hizzoner has lost quite a bit of weight in the last few years, and I'm hoping he's as enthusiastic as he claims. It would be so easy to begin to make Boston a truly great cycling town...

The guy hasn't been on a bike in 40 years, and in 3 weeks he's worked his way up to a 45 minute ride. I'm hoping that he'll be an enthusiastic Hub on Wheels (http://www.hubonwheels.org/) participant - I'd have to show up... Give him a year, and we'll get him on a real bike!

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/08/24/1188009947_2026/410w.jpg
Menino puts new spin on getting around the Hub
Reveals zeal for bike riding

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | August 25, 2007

When Mayor Thomas M. Menino discovered the benefits of speed walking, he exhorted everyone in the city to lace up and join him. When he came down with skin cancer, Menino launched a heartfelt crusade for early screening. When he lost weight by cutting down on pasta and other carbohydrates, the mayor once known as Tank began preaching the benefits of the new Menino diet.

Now, the mayor has discovered bicycling.

Menino purchased a silver Trek road bike three weeks ago and has been riding it regularly through his Hyde Park neighborhood. Each weekday at about 5 a.m., the 64-year-old mayor straps on a black cycling helmet and an arm band with red reflector lights and sets off alone on a leisurely, 45-minute pedal. He acknowledges that another public crusade is brewing.

"We're going to do more in our city with bikes," Menino decreed upon his return home from a ride yesterday.

The mayor's new fixation is already drawing cheers from cycling enthusiasts, who for years have been fighting for more respect on Boston's narrow and oft-congested streets.

"I'd love to ride with the mayor," gushed David Watson, executive director of MassBike.

At City Hall, the reaction has ranged from disbelief to wary anticipation of early-morning phone calls from Menino, ordering workers to fix potholes or burned out streetlights he notices on his rides.

"Oh, no! That's all we need," said one staff member, who declined to be identified for fear of retribution. "It's bad enough when he's in a car."

The mayor said that when he is steadier on the bike, he'll be making more of those calls.

"When I get more experienced at this, I'll be able to ride the whole city," he said, visibly excited during an interview in the kitchen of his Chesterfield Street home.

The mayor's latest habit began to take root about four months ago, when his chief of policy and planning, Michael Kineavy, began bicycling and sharing his enthusiasm for the sport during conversations between Cabinet meetings and other official proceedings.

At first, the mayor called him crazy and teased him. Being something of a practical joker, Menino began placing anonymous packages outside Kineavy's office, first a Dora the Explorer bike helmet, then a bell, and finally a set of rainbow-colored handlebar streamers.

"One day, he said, 'Where's my bike?' " Kineavy recalled.

Soon after, the mayor plunked down $800 for the three-speed automatic roadster with all the fixings: gloves, helmet, cargo room under the seat. It arrived at City Hall during a meeting of the Strategic Crime Council and the mayor's excitement was clear, attendees said. He asked a staff member to wheel it in. He put the helmet on and showed everyone his new vehicle.

He hadn't been on a bike in more than 40 years, so he started slow, going farther each day.

"He'd say, 'I did 25 minutes today,' then '30 minutes,' " Kineavy said.

The mayor, whose driver takes him to work and to events most days, has had to endure some ribbing. "One of my grandkids said, 'How can you ride a bike when you can't even drive a car?' " Menino said.

stevep
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM

BK

im in for this. should be clever.
some years ago they did something similar... the tour de graves.
went to many of the historic cemetaries throughout boston.
was fun..
this should be too.

davids
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Paczki,

That was me in the car. I was frustrated that my turn signal was stuck. Sorry. It won't happen again.

;)

davids
08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
im in for this. should be clever.
some years ago they did something similar... the tour de graves.
went to many of the historic cemetaries throughout boston.
was fun..
this should be too.
The Dorchester and Mattapan-Hyde Park sections hit bits of my weekday morning routes. And I rode part of the Dorchester-Southie route on Saturday. If you don't know Boston well, this ride could be a minor revelation.

stevep
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
The Dorchester and Mattapan-Hyde Park sections hit bits of my weekday morning routes. And I rode part of the Dorchester-Southie route on Saturday. If you don't know Boston well, this ride could be a minor revelation.

david,
promise you wont knock me off the bike and rob me..i dont carry more than a few thousand in cash...
do the ride man. should be a gas.
ill push you on the hills...unless it goes up beacon hill..you're on yr own.

davids
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
david,
promise you wont knock me off the bike and rob me..i dont carry more than a few thousand in cash...
do the ride man. should be a gas.
ill push you on the hills...unless it goes up beacon hill..you're on yr own.
I'll have just completed the Yom Kippur fast, so I should be extra light.

...If it's counterclockwise, the downhill through Stony Brook is a blast. Clockwise, not so much.

And I'll show you around Southie.

jimp1234
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Ninja stars are a great idea for long range but something's needed for those up close and personal moments. How about micro-pump that has a built-in extendable baton??

paczki
08-27-2007, 04:49 PM
That was part of the idea behind Bruce Gordon's titanium pump. Enough heft that it could be used to dissuade a mean dog or something bigger when necessary. Pricy, but worth it if you need it:

http://www.bgcycles.com/accessories.html

soulspinner
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Stars are fine unless they are in the jersey when you lay her down...owie

72gmc
08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Only if they make 'em in silver
Why did they go to 10 razor-sharp points? 8 was good enough
King throwing stars are well made, but the logos are so tacky
Colnago sold out: their Chinese throwing stars are made in China

stevep
08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll have just completed the Yom Kippur fast, so I should be extra light.

...If it's counterclockwise, the downhill through Stony Brook is a blast. Clockwise, not so much.

And I'll show you around Southie.

hey man,
i was born in southie.
661 e 5th st.
i can find my way around boston ok....
will be fun.
hey, goes through the tunnels... allright.

Bruce K
08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
This is starting to sound like ity might be our next Boston area gathering.

I guess there could be safety in numbers.

I'm still thinking I might have to do the Bedford cross race, but this is sounding more appealing all the time.

BK

stevep
08-27-2007, 07:42 PM
come on bruce.
i need a wheel to sit on. listen to eddy s.
i promise i wont jump you at the finish.
i swear.

beungood
08-27-2007, 08:14 PM
He tried to run you off the road, so get up close and make it personal with this..

Fixed
08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
http://samurai.com/5rings/
bike messengers handbook imho
bro i always have a y wrench with me .... shiraken
and a good chain and lock.... manrikigusari
cheers

Bruce K
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Geez Steve, with that kind of promise I might have to dig out the Raleigh/Urban Assault Bike for 40 some miles of single speed fun!!

I am giving it serious thought but the cross race in Bedford also sounds like lots of fun. And since I will have to miss my hometown double header as it is Parent's Weekend at Jesse's college, I am looking for all the cross races I can find that won't require too long a drive and are on the smaller side.

BK

Chris
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
http://samurai.com/5rings/
bike messengers handbook imho
bro i always have a y wrench with me .... shiraken
and a good chain and lock.... manrikigusari
cheers

I've had that book for 20 years now and I am only 37 :)
A great book. I still pick it up and read it. Beyond bike messengers, it is a great book for bike racers. Attacking without fear or thought of loss... Miyamato Durand...
The point wasn't that he was an undefeated samurai (I suppose they all were until they weren't). It was that he was as old as he was and was undefeated (still alive).

Fixed
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.samurai-archives.com/musashi.html
legend
cheers

handsomerob
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I have always thought that a loose driveside crank with chain rings would make a pretty respectable hand weapon in a pinch.

imp25rs
08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Great idea, but Ti won't hold much of an edge...
;)

That may be true, but for the purposes of a throwing star, it wouldn't neet to hold much of an edge. There are actually a few custom knife makers that make self defense knives out of titanium. Emerson Knives even puts a Carbide edge on theirs which outlasts the edge on steel blades. However it is not sharp enough to shave with, it is more like a bunch of tiny serrations and it stays sharp for a very long time.

Sorry, but I collect knives in my spare time when I am not working on/riding my bicycles. After all, they are one of man's first and simplest tools.

William
08-28-2007, 04:42 AM
He tried to run you off the road, so get up close and make it personal with this..

Whoa there bro, you're going to start scaring people here. Maybe a chain whip would be better.....cycling related and all.

William ;)

JohnS
08-28-2007, 05:13 AM
That may be true, but for the purposes of a throwing star, it wouldn't neet to hold much of an edge. There are actually a few custom knife makers that make self defense knives out of titanium. Emerson Knives even puts a Carbide edge on theirs which outlasts the edge on steel blades. However it is not sharp enough to shave with, it is more like a bunch of tiny serrations and it stays sharp for a very long time.

Sorry, but I collect knives in my spare time when I am not working on/riding my bicycles. After all, they are one of man's first and simplest tools.Titanium knives are mainly meant for jobs where you can't have a ferrous blade. The Seals use them for use around magnetic mines and such.

andy mac
08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
this seems to have the desired result too...

:beer:

rwsaunders
08-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I would think that in a historic town such as Boston, that nothing but cast iron would do. They would serve to get your point across to rude drivers, pedestrians and dogs as well. Unruly squirrels too William. :cool:

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Those brick stars (for those who don't know, they are used on the end of a tension rod to brace a brick building) are certainly in keeping with the historic nature of Boston and they would make great ballast for hill repeats up Beacon Hill, but I think they would have a limited range. :rolleyes:

BK

davids
08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
hey man,
i was born in southie.
661 e 5th st.
i can find my way around boston ok....
will be fun.
hey, goes through the tunnels... allright.
It was a sorry attempt at a joke. I owe you, ok?

musgravecycles
08-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry, but I collect knives in my spare time when I am not working on/riding my bicycles. After all, they are one of man's first and simplest tools.

Me too, I've even dabbled in blade smithing. One of my favorite books is: The Craft of the Japanese Sword by Leon Kapp. I see a lot of similarities between frame-building and blade smithing...