PDA

View Full Version : OT- Fresh Fruit Availability

Sandy
08-27-2007, 10:48 AM
For the last 9 weeks or so, I have consumed a very large volume of blueberries while on a diet. Now my local grocer is selling much smaller containers of blueberries, which in the past has indicated that blueberry season is going to end soon. I love bananas and they are available all year, but are high in sugar. I used to eat 4-5 bananas a day, sometimes even more- prior to dieting. Now I may eat one every 3-4 days.

I am now sustituting strawberries for blueberries, and I relly like them. Peaches are also favorites of mine.

Can one buy blueberries, strawberries, and peaches all year round and still get quality fruit? If so how do you get them and where? Especially blueberries- I think that I am addicted to them. :)

:banana: Fruit Salad Sandy :banana:

Fixed
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
bro I got a mango tree for father's day a few years back ..it is the best mangos i have ever had.. first year the tree has has had fruit was this year ..
blueberry's are wonderful 5 fruits a day keeps you a regular cat imho

Ozz
08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Blueberries freeze really well...they are not as good as fresh, but not bad. Trader Joe's has bags at a pretty good price...don't recall what it is, but it didn't seem outrageous.

My boys like to eat them while they are still frozen.

J.Greene
08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Our local grocery stores have them year round. The quality is good but the prices really go up.

JG

Kevan
08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
his fruit. Thanks Sandy.

The latest craze here at the office's free kitchen is a mix of three parts:

- Mixed fruit: strawberries, raspberries and blues.
- Granola: in moderation
- Fage Yogurt: http://www.fageusa.com/0_yogurt_info.html

What an awesome breakfast.

93legendti
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
For the last 9 weeks or so, I have consumed a very large volume of blueberries while on a diet. Now my local grocer is selling much smaller containers of blueberries, which in the past has indicated that blueberry season is going to end soon. I love bananas and they are available all year, but are high in sugar. I used to eat 4-5 bananas a day, sometimes even more- prior to dieting. Now I may eat one every 3-4 days.

I am now sustituting strawberries for blueberries, and I relly like them. Peaches are also favorites of mine.

Can one buy blueberries, strawberries, and peaches all year round and still get quality fruit? If so how do you get them and where? Especially blueberries- I think that I am addicted to them. :)

:banana: Fruit Salad Sandy :banana:

WE LOVE peaches and nectarines over here. My kieds liek them betetr than candy. So last winter I was THRILLED to see the local grocery stores were selling peaches and nectarines from Chile. My friend is addicted to blueberries and freezes them so he can eat them thru the winter.

93legendti
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
his fruit. Thanks Sandy.

The latest craze here at the office's free kitchen is a mix of three parts:

- Mixed fruit: strawberries, raspberries and blues.
- Granola: in moderation
- Fage Yogurt: http://www.fageusa.com/0_yogurt_info.html

What an awesome breakfast.

Fage (say fa yeh). Oh my. My wife turned me on to Fage. Best yogurt I've had.

CNY rider
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Sandy try to find a You-Pick blueberry farm in your area. It's too late now, so remember this idea for next summer. Up here the berries come ripe in late July, so I would guess it's a little earlier down where you are.

We paid $1.50 per pound this year for wonderful berries. In an hour or two early in the season Mrs. CNY and I had no trouble picking 15 or 20 pounds. We only live about 1 mile from the farm so we've been back multiple times. We've consumed huge quantities every day for breakfast in the past month, and we still have plenty left over in the freezer.

Oh and by the way, don't wash the berries before freezing. They come out much better if frozen completely dry.

djg
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Local is great in season, but for year round, and quantity, it's hard to beat Costco for blueberries (my 5 year old son loves 'em, and can scarf down scary amounts).

Cinci Jim
08-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Fage (say fa yeh). Oh my. My wife turned me on to Fage. Best yogurt I've had.

+1 on the Fage - I have it as a mid-afternoon snack with a banana & blueberries - I do the 0% fat. I tried the full fat and it was too much like sour cream - I bet you could use it in place of sour cream.

In Western Canada (BC) they have a brand named Olympic or Olympia - it is Balkan style - very good also.

BURCH
08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I have been getting tons of blueberries this month as they ship them down from Michigan in bulk. I Love 'em and they are great for you. I try to get them all year fresh.

Blueberries can be found pretty much year round in your local grocery store. They usually come up from South America in the winter. They are pretty costly though. Sometimes getting close to $5.00 per pint. Yikes. I will still break down and get them once in a while though in the winter.