PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam Bike Culture Photos

Buzz
08-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Check out this website which chronicles a series of bike related photos taken in Amsterdam.
http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

3chordwonder
08-27-2007, 03:46 AM
That's a cool page, but this idea of 'bike culture' in Holland kills me ;-)

I grew up in Holland. Nobody thinks of bikes as anything special or a 'cultural decision'. You just get on your bike and ride to wherever you need to be because it's handy. Hobbyist cyclist on racing bikes is a totally different thing.

Because I can't help myself, I'd like to repeat a few of the comments to some of the statements on that page...

"No Helmets - see, our USA helmet laws are stupid"
- in Holland the overwhelming part of the population cycles regularly as an independent easy mode of transport. In the USA and Australia a small part of the population has to battle it out in cities planned almost solely for cars with blind drivers and cyclist hating rednecks. Wearing a helmet in that environment may not be such a bad idea.

"in the USA these dynamo powered headlamps are considered a JOKE, but almost a quarter million bicycles in Amsterdam all have them."

- That 'joke' of a dynamo is actually a perfect 'no maintenance or thought required' solution that always works, no dead batteries, no hassles. I never thought it was the end of the world to push a little bit harder when the dynamo was on, but I do know that I would have been frustrated with constantly having to sort out my batteries. Plus they are so ubiquitous that they don't get stolen.

Nice page though, reminds me of home. Thanks for posting it!

Fixed
08-27-2007, 05:55 AM
what's wrong with us?
cheers

Kevan
08-27-2007, 06:45 AM
not all those bicycles revolve around a happy life:

Kevan
08-27-2007, 06:49 AM
eggs were kinda cool looking:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25616&stc=1

Kines
08-27-2007, 08:05 AM
What I find most striking is the apparent lack of maintenance and care for these bicycles. I guess they just don't care, and also if you make them too nice they'll just get stolen, but look at the close ups - simply having straight brake pads (or some air in your friggin tires), for instance, is quite simple, and will not make your bike more attractive to theft, but it will certainly make your commute easier, safer, and more pleasant. Oh, and all the rust - the humanity!

KN

P.S. nice to have the time (and will) to sit on a street corner in Amsterdam taking these photos, then posting them on a web page with such redundant detail!!

KN

crossjunkee
08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Not one person wearing a helmet.

Very cool pictures, thank you for sharing.

andy mac
08-27-2007, 09:35 AM
i also lived in the mighty 'dam for a few years recently. a few points:

# bikes rule and they actively dissuade cars in the center of amsterdam. For example, where we lived in the city on herengracht there’s a 5 year wait to park your car. And that’s 5 years after you buy a car and apply. You can’t apply, wait 5 years, then buy a car. So most people don’t bother.

# bikes have complete right of way. If a car and a bike get in an accident I believe a car is at fault no matter what. That really changes a motorists thinking and makes them drive very cautiously, slowly and safely.

# locks. It’s not if, it’s when your bike will be stolen, so most people ride beaters. It’s rare to even see a bike with gears. A beat up 1992 stumpjumper would be like a Ferrari and be stolen within hours if left on the street, not matter how elaborate the locking feature.

# cops do set up roadblocks and bust people for riding without lights. Any modern light system would be stolen.

# speaking of stealing, even the top of my bell was stolen. Apparently junkies use them to cook up the gear.

# Amsterdam is not a weather friendly city but even in heavy rain everyone rides their bikes. I can’t imagine that happening in many countries.

# most supermarkets don’t have car parking, only bike parking. Try that where you live. You buy what you can carry.

# it’s very cool to see parents riding with a box on front with a couple of kids, the dog and the groceries. Also pretty cool for me to see stunning women riding in mini-skirts and heels on the way to a night-club.

# some of my funnest memories are of riding around the ‘dam at night with friends completely hammered going to and from bars and nightclubs.

# cell phone using bike riders cause just as many accidents as their car driving counterparts.

# the dutch have it right. The future is more bikes not more cars. I lived in new york city too and that should be a biking paradise. Small, pretty flat, weather’s ok. But it’s too dangerous - too many provisions are made for drivers and shiiite for brains cab drivers.

# i couldn't bare to part with my dutch bike i loved riding it so much ( as much as my serotta dare i say), so i have dragged it all around the world. i do have some pictures i'll try and post tomorrow.

here's to the dutchies!

:beer:

Nick H.
08-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I've just got to say this to ALL AMERICAN CYCLISTS before I die laughing! The comments made about these photos by Americans are just hilarious to European cyclists - check a few European cycling forums if you don't believe me! What it boils down to is one very simple point: 99.9999999% of Americans just don't get the fact that the bicycle is a mode of transport - they are convinced it's an item of sports equipment.

Hell, even when you guys go cycle touring you think it's brave and foolhardy to do it 'unsupported' without a car to carry your bags, driven by a mechanic to fix your punctures!

OK, I know some of the people here DO get it...I'm just teasing.

crossjunkee
08-27-2007, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Nick H.]Hell, even when you guys go cycle touring you think it's brave and foolhardy to do it 'unsupported' without a car to carry your bags, driven by a mechanic to fix your punctures!
QUOTE]

WHAT! There's another way??? :D

michael white
08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I have wonderful memories of biking in Amsterdam and around. . . that's how I'd want life to be if I could choose. Our way is . . . don't even get me started.

A beat-up single speed Dutch bike is a perfectly evolved tool for what it does, which is, you live on it, and it has to hold up. Any of my current bikes, which are all quite nice, would be pretty hopeless in that environment, just as a heavy Dutch bike would be kinda wrong for a fast 50 mi. "training" ride here.

johnmdesigner
08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I lived in Rotterdam for two years - we had 2 modes of riding.
First, a nice Gazella with saddlebags. We put 2 large bottles of Heineken in there with a piece of gouda, salumi and bread and headed for the country on the weekend - delightful!
Second, had a De Rosa 7-speed (still have it) and rode with my buddies as fast as possible. The cross wind was so bad one day I was almost blown into the canal. The first rider would shout when we encountered "Dutch bikes" and the riders would move over in a very courteous way - sure do miss that in New York! :p
Riding your dutch bike to work and taking the ferry across the Maas river in the fog - wonderful!

sg8357
08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I was riding in England and Wales a month ago.
First day, I move my helmet mirror to the other side, so I can watch for cars.
Second day, wow, two whole days riding and no one has tried to kill me.
No honking, no side view mirror brush back attempts, no screams of "Get on the $%%** bike trail". I stop for lunch and take the mirror off.
I'm not bothered by motorists for a whole week, amazing. :bike:

Scott G.

mosca
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
What it boils down to is one very simple point: 99.9999999% of Americans just don't get the fact that the bicycle is a mode of transport - they are convinced it's an item of sports equipment.
Actually 99.9999998% believe it's a child's toy.