PDA

View Full Version : Super Steel Steals????????

Sandy
07-04-2004, 09:01 PM
A female cyclist, about 34 years old, medium weight, reasonably strong, and who enjoys road cycling has a Terry bike, which she enjoys but has had some trouble with the components- lower end of the Shimano range. She does 25-60 plus mile rides, and does some centuries and some touring. She recently tried a Salsa aluminum bike, which she thought was ok, but she found the aluminum too harsh. She simply like the feel and comfort of steel.

I remember a thread, in which some steel bicycles were recommended, but I could not find it. She needs a steel bike that gives excellent value.

What steel bikes could you recommend, with a minimum of Shimano 105, that would be approximately $1200 or less (even much less). I think that Specialized has some excellent ones. Please let me know so that I would be able to help direct her. She really enjoys cycling and does a great deal for our local bicycle club.

Thanks for helping me help this deserving cyclist,

STill Serotta Sandy Searching Some Super Steel Steals

Dekonick
07-04-2004, 09:03 PM
have her look for an older Bianchi Veloce - they new ones are al, but I believe 2002 and before they are steel. Great bang for the buck.

I think Jamis also makes decent welded entry level bikes...(steel)

stackie
07-04-2004, 09:06 PM
try soma bikes. www.somafab.com

momovelo.com has road sport for $325 or road for $400. Say about $800 for a 105 kit. 1125-1200.

Jon

va rider
07-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Jamis Quest, nice mix of steel , carbon fork and 105 components and retails about $1250.

Of course, always go for the bike that fits.

Smiley
07-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Tell Brenda to see me and I'll do a fit on her so we can figure what is her optimal size for a good USED steel frame. I think we maybe able to bag a good deal for her once we know where she fits in the sizing range. I told her I'd do a sizing gratis for her cause she is so nice to others . I think the used bike route is where she will recieve the most bang for her dollar. Between you and I roaming the web we are sure to find something that works. :banana:

Hard Fit
07-04-2004, 09:35 PM
If $$ is an issue, why not just replace the components?

slowgoing
07-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Gunnar Roadie. Made by Waterford with Waterford's geometry but welded instead of lugged, a little over $700 for the frame.

shinomaster
07-04-2004, 11:08 PM
fuji and khs made some decent 853 frames

eddief
07-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Available with Ultegra as a full built bike for around $1500, which is a bit high for the budget. But frame and fork available for about $550. I think that frameset with a 105 build would make a killer good bike for the money. I want one just to play around with. Get all 105 parts and add in some DA shifters for that fine, clicky feeling...and off she goes.

CIII_bill
07-05-2004, 10:00 PM
The Bianchi Veloce is still steel. A buddy just bought one. It seems very nice. It's about $1400.

Kevan
07-05-2004, 10:08 PM
come on, put that Ottrott to some good use and give it to her so the poor bike has a chance of living its potential. :D

That was mean of me. I'm sorry. You're a heckuva guy and just so you don't feel bad... how about we hold hands the next time we get together? But NO stroking!!!

:D

SBash
07-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Check with Gary Hobbs at http://gvhbikes.com
He has some of the best deals out there!
Check his SPECIAL VALUES section and you will see Raleigh Professional w/Shimano Ultegra 9spd STI...$1095.! This is a great steel frame/carbon fork with Ultegra group for the bucks.
Check out the reviews on these: http://www.roadbikereview.com/PRD_102699_4229crx.aspx

SB

eddief
07-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Reynolds 853 Motobecane with Ouzo Comp and full Ultegra at $1100.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/legacypro.htm

vaxn8r
07-05-2004, 11:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet the main differences in "comfort" could 97% be explained in wheelset,tires and seat...maybe 3% in frame material.

Kane
07-06-2004, 12:33 AM
gvhbikes.com
Viner Competition w/Shimano Ultegra 9spd STI...$1295.!

Viner has been handcrafting fine frames in Pistoia, Italy since 1947.* The Competition is a classic lugged steel frame made of Dedacciai COM 12.5, a smooth riding, great handling frame.*Sintema threadless chrome fork w/a lugged crown.* Built up with Shimano Ultegra 9spd STI componentry; derailleurs, STI levers, crank, b.b., cassette, chain, brake calipers; Cane Creek S2 threadless headset, Bontrager Race clincher wheelset, TTT The handlebar/stem, Selcof seatpost, Selle Italia XO Trans Am saddle, Continental tires and cork handlebar wrap.* Sizes 45cm through 64cm; all measured center to center.* Pictures of each size and color can be found on the frame inventory section.* You can upgrade to a carbon fiber fork for $50. additional.* Need a triple setup?* It's available for only $25. additional.

shinomaster
07-06-2004, 01:06 AM
what size does she need? My friend at www.quadcycles.com still has a lot of smaller steel frames on sale in Boston.. Cheap! ( deals on steel)

:banana: :banana:

I love Rustem the Owner..