PDA

View Full Version : Deerfield Ride Report

CNY rider
08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
What a scorcher!

I drove to MA on Friday afternoon. Kevan, Peter and I dined at the home of our very gracious host Bittersweet. Peter showed off his Mariposa that was just made for this event. Kevan had his custom Deerfield bike as well with the cool 'stache bars. Great pre-ride dinner and much bicycle conversation.

Saturday I got to the fairgrounds at about 0820 for the 0900 start of the 100K. I was putting the front wheel on the bike. Of course rather than lower the tire pressure to get it through the canti pads, I just tried to finagle it through the narrow opening. Big mistake. I knocked the left pad out of the shoe and torqued the left brake pretty badly. Luckily the pad was salvageable and I did my quickest ever brake job, to be able to start at 0900. Found TT, MAM, and Kevan and we headed out. (Yes the Vanilla is even better lookingin person!)

The first big dirt climb came after only 2 miles. Within 100 feet of the start there was carnage. People tipping over, walking. What a mess, and I didn't want to be stuck behind it. I found a big dude who was still cruising up the hill and followed him, like I was running the football behind a power fullback. He got me up the hill intact. Now I was up toward the front with the fast kids, someplace I never intended to be! It was the last I saw of Ginger and Kevan. Too Tall caught up at successive checkpoints.

The ride route itself is spectacular! Mostly on dirt, and under the tree canopy with many beautiful views. It wasn't too hot at the start, and I was moving along at a good pace. I joined up with 2 solid cyclists, one a local woman's MTB racer and a guy from Maine who had grown up locally.

I had my ugly experience of the day as we approached the third checkpoint at around 50 miles. The final mile before the check was a steep uphill on Peckville Road. It was about 2 pm, and the sun was blazing down. What made this climb unique was that it was on pavement, with no tree cover and no breeze. Halfway up I started to really overheat. It felt like an uncontrolled nuclear reaction was going on inside me. Sun blazing down on top of me, heat reflecting up from the pavement and no way to cool. Twice I almost stopped to get off the bike. I was very close to suffering a reversal (Competitive eating lingo for vomiting). Thing was, then I would have been sitting in the sun cooking next to blazing pavement and not getting any better. So somehow I made the top, then the short cruise in to the checkpoint. I dumped a load of water over my head and ended up spending and extra 15 minutes in the shade. Josh saw me at that point and I could tell by the look on HIS face that I was a scary sight. Finally I felt cooled and got back on the bike with my 2 ride pals. From that point on my pace was definitely slower, and I just focused on making it to the end.

We did make it though, and I thought we finished ahead of most of the ride pack. Imagine our surprise when we got the the final check station and they told us we had finished with one minute to spare! I think a lot of people got DQ'd on time because of the very challenging terrain and the heat.

Anyway, atmo, this is a true classic. It was certainly more difficult than most of the road centuries I've ever done. Let's get a big Forum contingent out for it next year. :banana:

Ray
08-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I can't even imagine in yesterday's heat (maybe not quite as bad up there as down here, but probably the same basic heat wave).

Did you do the metric or the full century? In that kind of rough shape at mile 50, I hope you did the shorter version. Either way, congratulations and way to hang in there.

-Ray

tomwd3
08-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Yesterday's ride was substantially tougher than last year. I did the 116 milers again, and it took me 1:20 longer this year, and I'm in as good, if not better condition. The humidity was bad right from the start. By 8am, I could'd have wrung a gallon out of my jersey. It was really going to be tough to stay remotely hydrated.
I started getting some thigh cramps at about mile 50 (new sensation, not altogether pleasant). Alternating standing and sitting on climbs (when smooth enough to stand) seemed to keep them at bay. At the 69 mile checkpoint I really had my doubts about completeing this deal, but I just kept compartmentalizing the ride. Next hill, next turn, next checkpoint. Keep going.
I thought the directions were better than last year, and I think I only went off course for about 1/2 mile. My trip meter worked real well, and I finish with 118 instead of the 116 listed. Not bad. To be honest, this ride was so tough, it was very hard to do much socializing, or looking around to admire the course. (although Green river was nice as usual, so much so that I got off and washed my legs and cooled of a bit b4 the next climb).
I ended up finishing in 10:50. 9:30 ride time, 1:20 spent trying to recover and hydrate. BTW the lady at the final checkpoint had awesomely cold water in the garden hose. Much better than the stuff that was in the bottles.
Next year if the forecast is calling for anything over 85deg, I'm doing the shorter ride.
Tom

CNY rider
08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Thankfully I was signed up for the 100K. I think a lot of people changed from the longer ride to the 100K because of the weather.

No way I would have made it 100+ miles.

I'd guess it was well into the 90's with very high humidity. Maybe someone else saw the actual temperature?

tomwd3
08-26-2007, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=CNY rider]Thankfully I was signed up for the 100K. I think a lot of people changed from the longer ride to the 100K because of the weather.

That would have been the SMART thing to do. :)

Kevan
08-26-2007, 12:04 PM
so little time.

Imagine what it's like to ride the first 30 miles of a route, tired and beaten, arriving to the first check point, and finding out you've only done 11 miles.

I think what comes to mind first is it was a "Death March". I appreciate that I haven't been putting in the miles this year, but come on... a metric century is the easy-doable ride. Or so I thought. Okay, I'm proud enough to say I finished the damn thing, and happily accept my DQ, and there comes a certain pride when you declare, "That ride took me 7 hours to finish." Between all the leg and toe cramping last night I had a good laugh at just how hard this ride was. Honestly, it was like running in sand.

Peter was a bit worried about my Brooks saddle and what horribly painful abrasions it might cause my personals. Well, not to fear bro... 1/2 a container of Assos chamois creme liberally applied to the shorts, then add over a 7 hour period 15 gallons of sweat and whoknowswhat that oozied from a beaten body, turning that tough English leather into something that looked and felt pretty much like a slice of bologna. The saddle... is broken in.

CNY rider, I was just behind you by two bikes when we hit the mob scene on the first dirt. I saw you make your move, but I had no where to go. What a mess it was, two ladies fell right in front of me and the people walking their bikes were doing so all over the place, pretty early into it I was walking too.

It's unfortunate it was as hot as it was, because I spent most of the ride in a zone. There wasn't much vista viewing, I was simply trying the keep the rubber in contact with the dirt. This ride was playing out my two weak points: heat and hills.

Glad I did it, but I think I'll wait a few months for the bad memories to soften before I claim another expedition.

It was good to see some of my Serotta pals there.

Tom
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I wasn't there, I was over here doing a small ride and today I found I still was sapped out from yesterday. I had nothing this morning, so I can imagine what effort was required for the ride over there.

116 yesterday would have me off the bike for a week.

I think I'll try it next year because what are the chances the weather will be as difficult next year? Not much, in my estimation.

Ray
08-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I think I'll try it next year because what are the chances the weather will be as difficult next year? Not much, in my estimation.
Think global warming. OTOH, that may be the incentive to do it before it's that hot EVERY year.

-Ray

Ken Robb
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
was that first climb muddy? Why all the crashes?

Andreas
08-26-2007, 03:31 PM
was that first climb muddy? Why all the crashes?

There was a pace group on the first few pavement miles. On the first dirt road downhill section some people from that group went too fast. Wiped out in the first curve. One guy left in an ambulance, holding his collar bone when we offered help.

Rode the longer thing; it was hot, humid, hard and fun.

Bittersweet
08-26-2007, 04:26 PM
There was a pace group on the first few pavement miles. On the first dirt road downhill section some people from that group went too fast. Wiped out in the first curve. One guy left in an ambulance, holding his collar bone when we offered help.

Rode the longer thing; it was hot, humid, hard and fun.

The first climb in the 100k is not the same as the 100 miler, having ridden both. The first climb in the 100k is probably the most difficult technically of any of the climbs on that ride. Quite steep with lots of large rocks and heavy washed out wagon wheel style grooves. It is very doable if you are solo and can pick your line but with two or more abreast it gets tricky as you are all over the road. Inevitably the group is still quite close together here and one person tips over or dabs. The whole group then falls on top of itself.

The crash on the early dirt downhill on the 100 miler was a classic case of the fast guys go hard real early and someone got over aggressive. He looked grim when we came upon the scene but I think the final story was only a broken collarbone. Crazy part is that Jay Gump stayed with him until he was taken away on the board and then rallied back to set a course record of under 8hrs. He's a local hardman on the bike but that was quite a show.

palincss
08-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I can't even imagine in yesterday's heat (maybe not quite as bad up there as down here, but probably the same basic heat wave).

According to weather.com's hourly forecasts, South Deerfield was within 3 degrees of Washington DC. It must have been sheer Hell.

Fixed
08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
bro nice reports ..nice to have friends on a ride like that ...imho
cheers

Peter P.
08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Three buddies and I did the 100 miler.

Too soon-I think about 8 miles at Graves Road, we came upon the guy on the IF 'cross bike who crashed hard. He apparently was going too fast around a downhill, left hand bend and washed out/overshot the curve, probably crashed into the gutter and the hillside "wall" adjacent to it. He was lying motionless with his hand in the classic, broken collarbone position, but those already attending to him waved us on.

A few miles later, Bob's chain broke. This bike was brand new in June, and he had plenty of miles on it, including a 116 mile day. Why the non-Hyperglide link decided to separate is a mystery. Amazingly, Elmer had a spare pin and Dave had a spare pin and links, and we pieced it back together.

We continued on our way and Bob's chain failed AGAIN, only a few more miles down the road. A link on his Dura Ace chain was spreading apart by itself, and it wasn't the Hyper Glide link this time, either. We removed the spread link, used an existing pin to reconnect it and hoped for the best. We weren't into this thing twenty miles and the course was already extracting revenge. These events put a dark cloud over Bob and perhaps was the beginning of the end.

We hadn't even reached the first checkpoint. He talked of abandoning and finding his way back on his own.

Just before Buckland Road at mile 30, we passed some guy who thought his front derailleur cable was broken and was looking for a spare. Dave handed over his, but the cyclist discovered it was only a slipping cable. He cinched it up but kept the cable just in case.

We DID reach the Heath checkpoint. The heat and humidity were unbelievable. Sweat was constant and profuse, and there's no doubt in my mind that heat exhaustion and dehydration were real threats.

We tooled out of there and, on one of the curvy dirt descents at terminal velocity, Dave's rear tire blew. He couldn't find the hole, so he threw a tube in, pumped it up, and slipped it back into the frame. Then I spied the tube trying to escape through a rip in the sidewall. He quickly deflated the tire before it blew, and inserted a homemade "boot"- a 4" section of a road tire with the bead removed (the mounted tire was a 26x1.25" file tread). It held for him right to the end.

I would have paid admission to set up a lawn chair on the Archambo wall and watch every sad case push their bike up.

On the eponymously named Hillman Road (it even says on the cue sheet that some claim this is the hardest climb on the course-1.65 miles) I passed a cyclist I recognized from last year. He was pushing his bike, just like I saw him do last year up the Archambo Wall. I said, "Jay; you did this last year, I can't believe you didn't learn and install a triple!" The only words his crushed mind and body could compile was, "No triple..." Oh, how funny that was!

What didn't hold was Bob. Although he trained properly this year, and finished this ride last year, for whatever reason, he caved in after the Archambo Wall and Hillman Road, at about mile 50, to abandon and try to find a "shortcut" back to Greenfield. I wouldn't let him go alone so I abandoned as well, and we left Dave and Elmer at the Franklin Road turn off Route 112, and navigated our way back.

This actually turns out to be a good place to cut the course if things aren't going well. Route 112 South runs into Route 2 East. It's practically all downhill into Greenfield, and just after passing under I-91 is a right hand turn with signs leading back to the fairgrounds. We wound up with about 68 miles.

We showered, the organizers had ice and found us some Cokes, and we relaxed for several hours waiting for Dave and Elmer.

Bob has dubbed this event, "The Ride of Truth". We will be back.

cycleman_21
08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Wow where to start?
Oh Yea!!!
HOT... HOT... HOT...
humidity as thick as gravy
truly a test of the mind and fitness
I went for the 116 mile course and probably could have made it
but I was at mile 93 looking down from the top of Greenfield rd.(steep decent) both ways knowing it's 23 miles one way with Patten hill still left and it was almost 5:00pm (over 10 hrs in the saddle) and 11 miles the other way(local knowledge helps here) mostly down hill, Hmmm, yep 104 miles is good enough for me.
In a way I feel bad about cheating myself, but after hearing of some other's horror stories after the ride and now here I don't feel so bad any more.

The only forumite I recognized was, (saw her here last year) M.A.Martin, with her camera I took her picture at the MA. VT. stone state line marker, this area was fun, all in the open sun, very hilly and loose dirt for a good mile or more, people were dropping like flies, one of the hottest sections and very tough and it was going to get even tougher from there, hope everyone is OK today.
Definitely a ride of carnage, uhh... I mean... courage, I think... well whatever you want to call it, absolutely worth doing at least once,
see you next year :bike:

p.s. yes I would love to watch 27% Archambo hill (yes, on dirt/gravel) from the sidelines, cripes, I was laughing at myself, I'd be in stitches watching others, I've heard of people actually making it up this thing on their bike, but what's left in them after is what I'd like to know, crazy, crazy

Ron C

Too Tall
08-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Great to see so many of you at the event. Deerfield is one of the hardest and most beautiful rides I've ever done. Last yr. Manet, Jabay and myself hammered...it was brutal fun and in retrospect I missed out on riding with more folks and missed some sights.soooo this yr. I switched to the shorter route last min. GOOD CALL :) Meet up with Kev and CNYrider and a few others before :) KEWL!!! My plan was to ride with Zank but the wuss had to make a living, he is so busy with work he had to bail and BOY he sounded disappointed...bummer. However, Zank hooked me up with the HUP United guys and said "they will take care of you"...oh krap!!!! Visions of nail chewing had men bent on a fast ride really worried me....the experiance was just the opposite. G-d bless yah ZANKY BOY :) Your crew did indeed treat me well and we had an epic ride. It is not often I can have a conversation with another ride while diving down a rocky hill at 35 mph bar to bar and feel comfortable...woo wooo...yah GOTTS to hang with cross riders I'm telling you!!! The HUP riders were extremely good bike riders and set a strong pace on hills, backing off elsewhere and at all times we stayed together...lingering big time at rest stops and to take in views. We were always at the bitter edge of time limits and nobody really was concerned...sweet. Green River was super, everyone took off their shoes and went into the river!
We finished together and in contrast to last yr. felt just fine. my batteries are recharged...ready for next yr. :)

A highlight was meeting up with Peter on a climb and my G-D that Mariposa is something else. OK, we have GOT to do some riding together and next yr. no DNF pal. let's ride this thing. Folks, Peter was one of my cycling heros from high school and is still rocking it like it was 1970..no 'chit.

I'll post a few photos below. This was all I could salvage, my camera was damaged with humidity :(

Spinner
08-27-2007, 07:46 AM
bravo to those who took part.

Bittersweet
08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
A highlight was meeting up with Peter on a climb and my G-D that Mariposa is something else. OK, we have GOT to do some riding together and next yr. no DNF pal. let's ride this thing. Folks, Peter was one of my cycling heros from high school and is still rocking it like it was 1970..no 'chit.
:(

I presume you are referencing your DNF in the 100 miler as opposed to PeterW's or maybe I'm missing the reference to another Peter. PeterW and I did meet up with TooTall on a long climb near mile 85-90. I was on the large white Ridley. We said a quick hello and then the courses split again. We rolled into the fairgrounds at about 10:20 for the longer ride. I'll post more later and my thoughts and on next year's refinements.

tomwd3
08-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I was on the large white Ridley.

We rode together a few times in the first half. I was on the Black Felt cross bike, and had a plain blue Descente jersey. I was with a few buds with Black
CBRC team kits.
You guys were motoring along nicely. Kudos on the 10:20 time. Just finishing at all was a major accomplishment! :beer:

PeterW
08-27-2007, 10:51 AM
It's all been said by others, but what a ride!

First, night before. Very nice to meet Kevan and CNY Rider at Bittersweet's pre-ride function. More should come next year, as it was a real treat to hang with other forumites. Kevan, I'm glad the Brooks treated you well!

Bittersweet and I rode the 100 miler in 10:21 (a little less than 9:20 on the bike), and what a ride! By far the most fun I've ever had on a single-day ride. I'd complain about the heat, but since I've been training all summer in South Carolina, it was actually pretty comfortable for me. It is amazing what the body can get used to!

There is no way to exaggerate how difficult and beautiful this ride is. A death march on dirt roads going up and down.

Too Tall, I think you've got me mixed up with another Peter? I was on the yellow Mariposa and Swiss jersey and met you right before the two courses split. Yes, I went to B-CC but graduated in 85. But it was super cool to meet you and admire the box-striping on the Vanilla.

Tomwd3! What courage to stick that thing out. I asked your CBRC bros about you a number of times, and was relieved when you somehow pulled back at the Green River control. Nice job!

D2R2 will be one of the highlights of my annual calendar. Next year, sub 9:30!

Elmer
08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd pick up where Peter Polack left off but I'm not sure I could offer up anything more than what has been said allready. Once Dave and I left Peter and Bob, we rode on wondering what could possibly have gone wrong with Bob. I must say though, if you have any doubts about your abilities, don't be a hero. Bob made the right choice and Peter offered his services as wingman. I commend them both. Truer friends cannot be found.

I did this ride and actually found it harder last year due to my less is more training. This year, while certainly not looking to train specifically for this event, I trained smart and left myself the week prior to rest and just take short rides. The training the months before had been completed. It was time to taper off and thats what I did. The heat was difficult but hydration and food was essential. I figure I went thru 14 or more bottles of fluids starting well before our 6:08 start. Dave was doing the 116 mile ride for the first time this year and metered his efforts out carefully. We finished in just over 11 hours including approx. 40-45 minutes of mechanical delays.

Last year it was cool
This year it was hot.
Maybe next year it will be pouring rain?

Now wouldn't THAT be an epic journey.

Elmer

PS - Didn't catch your name DC rider but thanks for the company from the Colrain Supergas station.

Too Tall
08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Yep, diff. Peter I was not being clear. You two were OBVIOUSLY finishing, looking very comfortable :)

tomwd3
08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Tomwd3! What courage to stick that thing out. I asked your CBRC bros about you a number of times, and was relieved when you somehow pulled back at the Green River control. Nice job!

Thanks Peter, I appreciate that. I would have liked to stay w/you guys, but it just wasn't happening. It's one of those rides where I had to find my own pace. I rode from Green river to the end solo. I didn't miss any turns, so that was good. :)
I'll look for you next year!
Tom

palincss
08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Irony of ironies, the weather reports are talking about the glorious late summer/early fall day, temps in the 70s, low humidity, sunny conditions in Mass. and New England on Monday. How much different Saturday's ride would have been with today's weather! What a pity.

dauwhe
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
The day after the finish of PBP was beautiful, too. The only sunny day of the whole trip!

Dave

Bittersweet
08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
What a great event. I said the same last year but once again it was well organized and a beautiful course for a great cause. Maintaining open space in Franklin county MA is what will maintain great routes like this one.

As noted above, PeterW and I saw TooTall at about mile 85-90 and MaryAnn at the end. Kevan and CNY stopped by for dinner the night before. We finished in 10:20-or so and boy was I hot. I had a long sleeve jersey and tights on earlier in the week and the temperature was one of the very hottest for us all summer and one I never would have even ridden 20 miles in if I had the choice. I had real heat moment at mile 90 or so and thought I was going to throw up and water consumption and conservation was an additional stress and mental calculus throughout the ride for us north-country folks. Not my favorite conditions.

PeterW flew up from SC for this event and it was an unbelievable treat to have him with me on this long day in the saddle. We had a pact to stay together regardless and luckily we were at the same fitness level and helped each other throughout the ride. A partner, or group, to do this ride with is very helpful and really keeps the pace up when one inevitably wants to fade at various points.

Pete did a 200 and 300k work up for PBP but luckily bowed out on the 600k and agreed to join me on this adventure. Pete brought up his beautiful Mariposa randoneur with fenders stripped to accomodate 30c Grand Bois tires. These were right to the max on the chainstays and performed perfectly for this event. He didn't make any real other modifications to do the ride. 48/34 rings with a Campy 10 setup and a 29 tooth low gear in the cassette. This is probably about the minimum for the ride. Only one pushing section, which was Archambo Hill. This is a short (50yd) push and really shouldn't dictate the equipment choice for any participants. A few folks clean it depending on crowds, equipment, etc but remember even the greats occasionally push on small sections of cobbled bergs of the Classics. The lesson I learned was that I won't ride my mtb shoes and pedals next year. Peter had his white D2 road shoes, as it was all he owned, and they were fine. The reduced weight and comfort of your tried and true road shoe is more than worth the trade off.

I contacted TooTall prior to the ride for nutritional thoughts on such a long ride. I'd never been in the saddle this long and wanted his thoughts. He recommended Hammer Sustained Energy mixed thick. This turned out to be great advice. Both of us mixed a pancake batter consistency mix small bottle which we kept in our back pockets. We flavored it very lightly with fruit juice. This was very nice and effective. Not too sweet. The other lesson learned is that Powerbars, GU, etc is too sweet over such a long day. TooTall relayed this in his email and Peter drove it home based on his experience in other RUSA events. Luckily, Peter forced me to make English muffin, cream cheese and ham sandwiches for the ride in addition to the energy bars. These small, real food, sandwiches were a lifesaver and far better over the long haul. Powerbars in an event over 5 hours feel like eating candy and you get the most cloying taste in your mouth - yuck. I don't experience this in shorter road event and my 50k cross country skiing marathons as they are too short. Next year I'll go even more real food, Sustained Energy, and less of the bars. A good mix this year but I can do better.

I had a 48/34 and 11-34 cassette. This was a pretty good setup. The 11 is useless as the course feels like it is straight up or straight down. The down is frequently too steep and harrowing to pedal and thus an 11 is a waste. We hit upper 40s mph on some of the dirt and 52mph on the pavement down into Colrain. I ran Vittoria XN 32c cross tires which have a light file tread for grass. The compound is very soft and the center wears down quite quickly if ridden on pavement, which is good break-in for D2R2. I thought these tires were great and less tread and width is generally better. I think any smooth tire in the 28-32c size is ideal. Tread seems unnecessary and a big drag on most of the surfaces.

Route finding is also a big drag on time and if you can find a local that knows the course it makes the whole thing much easier. Peter and I took a three mile detour which we then had to back track. This is discouraging and then makes you overly cautious at every cue. To not have to look at the sheet would be very helpful. The fastest guys know this course cold.

Overall this was a great experience and my first at this many hours in the saddle. I learned a bunch of stuff and look forward to applying them to the event next year. It was great to have Kevan and CNY stop buy for dinner the night before and good to get a ride in with Kevan. I'd like to expand this a bit more if others have interest. Great to see everyone and thanks to PeterW for making such a huge effort to come up here for a great event. It was fun to roll a lot of miles like we did in the mid-80s.

weisan
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Have Ginger checked in yet?

Bruce K
08-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I would think we should hear from her soon as she had to drive back home to Michigan first.

BK

Kevan
08-28-2007, 07:20 AM
She be camping. Don't rightly know when she'll be returnin'. Maybe before the first big snow.

Too Tall
08-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Bittersweet and Pete, you guys are NOT going to be without me next yr. :) I really needed time to recharge my batteries after a tough Ultra season...a bit mentally burned. PERKY NOW!

You really nailed the nutrition and for a ride like this it is not easy to do, I'm very proud to know you for your abilities as riders and good folks.

My gearing was a 34X50 (DaVinci 110 BCD 180 cranks) with a cycle dynamics loose cog Ti 12X30 cassette. This was a perfect combo and big improvment over last yrs. 12X27 cassette ouch ouch ouch. Again, the Tufo D28's @ 70psi rocked my world and like yourself had a fine file tread which I believe would work fine even if the course was wet. I saw all sorts of folks with aggressive tyres that slowed them down incl. a number of folks running low pressure full on cross tyres...bad choice.

Last yr. navigation was a bear. First 35 miles Manet and I just followed the lead riders than settled into...following Boy Scout JayBay ;) The queue sheets are sent out way late for modification and print is tooooo small for old man eyes!!! This yr. I arrived early, went to the public library...downloaded the queue...drove to Kinko's and had them enlarge and than laminate. MUCH better :) Using the AWESOME map holder that Kev. got for me I was in fat city. The lucite holder grabs the laminated maps firmly and because it is basically a folded piece of lucite you can easily grab the map from the holder to examine the turns if your eyes get blurred or to flip the sheets.

Here are the bits:
http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b214s421p0
http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b214s420p3659

Kevan
08-28-2007, 07:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ie/RIXEN-KAUL-KLICKFIX-BIKE-CYCLING-MINI-MAP-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ120116455645QQihZ002QQcategoryZ729 5QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Had I known, I'da bought two.

jeffg
08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Almost makes me miss the East Coast and my days in Amherst.

Hmmm, gotta get me a Strada Bianca ...

jbay
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Boy Scout jBay checking in,

While I had my Rixen and Kaul setup again this year, I spent the 100-miler in the company of Whately local, Pete, so I didn't need to do as much navigating as last year. Pete was joined by his college room-mate, Don who had flown in from Washington State to do the ride and to spend some time cooling down on the Cape. I think he travelled the furthest to do the ride and he got his money's worth!

Pete was using a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres, so Pete, Don and I became Pete and the Supremes. What with the heat, cramping and a broken cleat, it was far from a straightforward ride, but we had a blast riding together anyway.

I had a very pleasant surprise at the lunch stop, when someone behind me gave me a good clip on the ol' ear. I turned around to find myself staring into Too Tall's naval. We exchanged pleasantries before he saddled up for the return leg and I waded into the river.

I've attached a couple of photos for your viewing pleasure. One is of the foot of the "Archambo Wall" and the other is of Pete on Killman Road.

-- John

zank
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
my batteries are recharged...ready for next yr. :)

Glad to hear you had a good ride, TT. Next year, there is no way I will miss it. In fact, we may be driving up from DC together. But that's another story. :beer:

Too Tall
08-29-2007, 07:07 AM
THAT'S it than...next yr. we have a gruppeto.
Did I mention that Eagle Scout JayBay's BEAUTIFUL wife was rockin' a single speed and putting many to shame on the climbs. Seems that talent runs in the family :) Great to see you friend.

Don't kid me Zank....that would be fantastic. Mi Casa Su Casa.

zank
08-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Don't kid me Zank....that would be fantastic. Mi Casa Su Casa.

For an entire year? Can my wife stay too?

merckx
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I was there. Not riding an orange Moltini machine with nr hanging on it, but a fabulous blue Zank. Last year I did the 100 mile course and finished with a spring in my step. I trained really well for that edition. This year my training has been about 50% of last years and was wise to sign up for the 100k course. It was the smart choice for me. I met Too Tall at the Green River stop. He was easy to recognize.....he looks like an oarsman.

The only thing that I can add that hasn't already been said is that I was impressed by those riders that used damn narrow road tires to navigate the course. I saw a few road machines with what looked like 25c tires. Impressive. I used 28c Tufo Elite cross tubs. They were slow as mud on the hard pack and asphalt, but I enjoyed the purchase on the loose sand and rocky sections. Not sure what I will use next year. Maybe something in between. My hat is off to everyone who completed the 100 mile. Good stuff.

Too Tall
08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Zank-issimo, walk the dogs and you got ROOM :) We would not take you without your patient kind wife! Did I mention the 3 car garage with no cars??? hehehe.

Merckx - You are not exactly skin and bones bub, congrats on the super ride. I'm talking gruppetto next yr. Stay in touch.

I did not want to GLOAT about the Vanilla until everyone posted ride reports....however....WOW. Again, that bike really can do it all. During the ride I heard several comments on how well the bike snaked up the rough climbs and down fast descents. At times I was riding no hands just because I'm a big dope and I could...show off :rolleyes: When the bike you are riding disaappears under you and esp. when that happens during times of stress and sketchy conditions wellllllll than you are riding a fine machine. I'm just crazy for this bike and plan to ride smile and collect paint chips for many yrs. to come. A steel rough road racer with possibility for fenders and fits up to 32mm tyres when done right is a keeper. Sacha is in relative terms a young builder and his ability to design bikes with this level of refined handling is not the usual. Terms like "disappears" and "rock solid" I often hear from folks who have Spectrums, Pegorettis, Sachs etc. (forgive me if I left a few out you get the idea) these venerable builders have yrs. on young Sacha. I'm really impressed and pleased. We've got a dynasty in the making.

Yes Frank, I'm an excitable boy ;)

Bittersweet
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Back from vacation and thought I'd add two photos of PeterW's Mariposa as he rode it at D2R2.

Too Tall
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Utterly and completely a BA bike :) Mmmmm Mariposa.

manet
09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
sweet

Grant McLean
09-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Back from vacation and thought I'd add two photos of PeterW's Mariposa as he rode it at D2R2.

half chrome forks and stays always make me think of knee socks...

just sayin'

-g

http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/blog-english/wp-content/tokyo-black-over-the-knee-s.jpg

manet
09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/blog-english/wp-content/tokyo-black-over-the-knee-s.jpg

i could de rosa her