PDA

View Full Version : OT: TV Set which one?

Ahneida Ride
08-25-2007, 09:53 PM
My Distinguished Knowledgeable Friends.

My 1994 Sony CRT TV set fired in a storm back in June.
It was 26 Inches wide measured end to end.

What do I replace it with? I have no cable TV and run rabbit ears and have
a 100 frn cd player.

I was thinking a 38 to 42 inch LCD set since when 5 inches (?) is taken off
on each end when one is watching regular TV. (right?)

But which one? The options are mesmerizing! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :help:

I could really use some help. ;) I could also really use some help choosing a TV.

Should I go el cheapo .... or should I purchase a set that may stay with
current technology for a few years? Perhaps I may purchase a HD CD player in the future ....

Archibald
08-25-2007, 09:57 PM
"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye." -- Bill Hicks

Louis
08-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Don't bother to replace it. I haven't had a TV for the last 8 years or so and don't miss it one bit. You don't waste time watching junk and have more time to hang out here...

Louis

Plus, you can spend the money on bike stuff :banana:

Ahneida Ride
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
It fried back in June, and I have not replaced it.

Cable is out of the question.

I am gotta pay how much a month for them to ship me in more stations
with even more adds the rabitt ear TV? :rolleyes:

They should pay me to hook up to cable TV. :banana:

rnhood
08-25-2007, 10:45 PM
The modern LCD, Plasma & the like flat screen TV's are designed for high definition content and, as such don't perform nearly as well on standard TV broadcast. So, if you're not planning on watchng a lot of HDTV or other high def format media, get a current Sony flat screen tube TV. No reason to buy more than you need and, frankly they look fine on any type type media (its the tube phenomena).

Jeff N.
08-25-2007, 10:55 PM
If you decide to go HD (Satellite would be your option), go for the Sony 46XBR2 LCD. But like rnhood said above, if HD ain't your thing, don't bother with an LCD HDTV. SDTV pic quality is acceptable, but you're better off, IMO, with a standard tube set for SDTV. Picture quality is beyond compare on my Sony LCD HDTV. If you just want to replace your old tube TV with another, then I'd go for any of the Sony or Toshibas currently out there. Nowadays, the price on tube TV's is down right cheap! Jeff N.

dave thompson
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
The picture quality of rabbit ears reception will be absolutely horrible with an LCD/plasma TV. CRT TVs are much better for this and downright cheap now. However in just a few years the govt. mandated HDTV standard will become in effect and all programming will be broadcast in HD.

Why don't you call someone at the U.S. mint and have them print you up a few thousand FRNs so you can buy the HDTV and get Direct TV programming with HD along with every baseball and football game every season. Hockey too. Hell, it's only money, sorry I meant FRNs. :D

RPS
08-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Don’t forget that analog broadcast signals will be terminated soon (a little over a year as I understand it); and that HDTVs can be viewed with antennas in most major cities (I watch all major networks in HDTV with an antenna). You only need to make sure that the HDTV has a built-in tuner (my doesn’t because it’s too old so I use a stand-alone HD tuner box). Most new HDTVs include the tuner.

Crazy Chris
08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Take a look at Crutchfield.com and get them to send you a catalog. The latter contains a chart showing the various numbers indicating quality of picture. Some discount and other outlets will stock Sharp and Sony, e.g., but these have lower numbers than those in Crutchfield. They also have a knowledgable tech staff to solve any problems. I also recommend a satellite dish for the good channels (movies without commercials and BBC), to listen to music (your choice), and to watch cycling events.

L84dinr
08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Vizio makes a decent little HDtv. With the appropriate rabbit ears, (hd rabbit ears) and as long as you are in a large metro area you should be able to receive over the air HD signal with the qualcom tuner built into the vizio unit. We recently purchased a Vizio 32" tv and it works great with Over the Air HD signal. Vizio tvs are sold at both Sam's and Costco.

Good Luck.

rtp

Kevan
08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I read up on which manufacturers were the big players in quality TV sets. Armed with that detail, I went to a large appliance store found the high price models and then walked over with my modest budget to the mid-range versions and started comparing the pictures, going back and forth, and choosing that'a way. TV's picture looks good and is still kickin' several year's later.

jerk
08-26-2007, 09:08 PM
"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye." -- Bill Hicks

"i don't care what's on tv. as long as it's not watching me."

Avispa
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Don't bother to replace it. I haven't had a TV for the last 8 years or so and don't miss it one bit. You don't waste time watching junk and have more time to hang out here...
Louis
Plus, you can spend the money on bike stuff

I agree with Louis 100%. I am just lucky my employer pays for my cable/internet use, so there!

I use my TV mostly for watching movies and the paid TV shows, like Real Time with Bill Maher. But TV is not that bad, really! I mean, there is PBS and the Discovery Channel.... Other than that, I don't know. I guess I like to burn a few Neurons here and there....

If you must get a TV, get a flat screen one. That's the way to go these days... Most 150 frn DVD players are better than the 1000 frn of yesteryear.

A!