PDA

View Full Version : OT: BlueRay DVD - Lord of Wars, the movie...

Avispa
08-25-2007, 07:14 AM
I went ahead and got the LG BlueRay/HD DVD Player a few days ago. I noticed a big difference in image quality over the regular DVDs! Even though my TV (Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD) can only display up to 720p. As far as sound, not much... It was the same as my Denon 3914. Overall I recommend BlueRay... The other thing is that the Brand New Release movies at the video store are available, unlike the regular DVD, which are many times gone! ;)

My first movie rented was Lord of Wars with Nicholas Cage. Not a great movie, but entertaining and it has a decent message at the end...

What do you think of the movie? Have you seeing it?

A!

Jeff N.
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I've seen Sony's Blue Ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD. Which is the way to go? Jeff N.

Ozz
08-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I've seen the movie...I thought it was good and did provide an good message about "weapons of mass destruction".

Very cool opening sequence...

dave thompson
08-25-2007, 09:47 AM
My son gave us a Toshiba HD DVD for Christmas. It came with the 'Phantom of the Opera' HD movie. I already had the standard Phantom movie, so I was able to make a side by side comparison. There is no comparison, the HD is so much better. I was stunned!

The current HD DVD/Blue Ray battle for being the standard is pretty hot. Toshiba has cut the price of their players to about half what the Blue Ray players cost.

I've since puchased 4 more HD movies and I have a tendency to watch them more than once because of the visual details. I really like the HD DVD, it makes watching movies at home more exciting and entertaining.

Ken Robb
08-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I'll be on the sidelines until the battle between the two is over. I don't want to end up like the owners of Beta-Max VCRs did when VHS won out.

If you can't wait you can buy a machine that plays both formats but they are more $$ than either of the single format machines.

Avispa
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I've seen Sony's Blue Ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD. Which is the way to go? Jeff N.

Bro,

If you can afford the LG player: http://us.lge.com/superblu/ , go for it! I got mine on eBay at a price far lower than the locals. It plays both HD-DVD and Blue... However, I've noticed that there are more titles behind BlueRay as Sony is behind it. But I think both formats are here to stay and we will see more of these players like the LG. The only thing I don't like about this player is that the LG logo stays lit and when you are in a dark room it glows like a light house... I just covered it with black electrical tape.

As far as quality, I saw both and could not tell a whole lot of difference, but if I had to choose I'd go with BlueRay.

At the rate that technology is improving for home theater, I am almost at the point that I will never go to a public movie theater. Last couple of times, there was something that left me with less desire to go to a movie: noise, rude people, etc.

In the future, I may see a projector and a 6 x 6 screen at home.

A! ;)

pdxmech13
08-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Are you guys using a HD television as well ?

Avispa
08-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Are you guys using a HD television as well ?

I am... As I said, mine can only display 1080i/720p. I saw a 1080p TV and it looks even better! But I may just get a projector, rather than another TV at this point. Prices keep dropping on these things like crazy!

Cable TV at 720p is really good for broadcast. The other night I was watching Jay Leno and changed NBC from the HD to the non-HD transmission.... Man, on HD, I did see a lot of wrinkles in Jay and the guests! :eek:

A!

pdxmech13
08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I have no idea what 720 is. I can guess but maybe I should just invest in a little research and buy one myself :beer: :beer:

csm
08-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I have blu-ray. it is the playstation 3. the difference over standard dvd is incredible. I have a 1080 tv too. I think both formats will be around. not sure which will be the more popular though. sony has it's might behind blu-ray. microsoft is not quite as successful with the hd conversion to the x-box 360. the neat thing about the ps3 is that it plays everything from a basic cd up through blu-rays. the kids think the big deal is that it plays ps1 games through ps3 games. plus it is part of our home network which enables you to play on-line and download demo games.
I remember the atari 2600....

Avispa
08-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I have no idea what 720 is. I can guess but maybe I should just invest in a little research and buy one myself...

Ahhh...

Check these out, then:

http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/whatisHDTV.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?720p-Vs-1080i-HDTV&id=91443

Cheers,

A!

Tony Edwards
08-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I have the Xbox 360 add-on HD-DVD player and honestly don't notice a huge difference from my Sony upscaling DVD player on my Samsung DLP 720p set. I imagine it would help somewhat if I could use an HDMI connection, but my Xbox doesn't have one. I am using component cables, and might try the Xbox VGA cable to see if it makes any difference.

csm
08-25-2007, 02:29 PM
yeah the hdmi cables make a big difference. I forgot that I did that.

Avispa
08-25-2007, 02:30 PM
yeah the hdmi cables make a big difference. I forgot that I did that.

For broadcast TV the component cables are OK.... For everything else HDMI.

A!

Lincoln
08-25-2007, 02:38 PM
<snip>
I remember the atari 2600....
Pong, baby!

pdxmech13
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I read that PS3 would be going down in price. Anyone else ?