PDA

View Full Version : OT NJ Kid Cracks iPhone

keno
08-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Driving towards NYC last night, listening to NPR, I heard an interview of a NJ 17-year old who has figured out how to make a fix on his iPhone so it will work with providers other than AT&T, in his case T Mobile, the service his family uses. It appears from his blog (link below) that he is attempting to sell the his iPhone on eBay, but the fix is given for you iPhone owners who are interested. I expect that the execs and designers at both Apple and AT&T have been up late recently trying to foil this, certainly in future editions of the iPhone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/technology/25iphone.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

keno

Bart001
08-25-2007, 07:07 AM
iphonesimfree.com

jemoryl
08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
It was just a matter of time. The iPhone is a GSM phone, which is a world wide standard (but only used by T-mobile and ATT/Cingular in the US) and there is a big trade in other 'unlocked' GSM phones on eBay, small shops, etc. Nice that a 17 year old kid has enough dosh to afford to experiment on a $600 phone!

pdxmech13
08-25-2007, 12:53 PM
this thing could get really ugly atmo

Bart001
08-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Ultimately all Apple cares is about selling phones. It's AT&T's problem . . . . until it comes down to Apple's contractual obligations to close the barn door that just opened. It would be interesting to read what Apple's obligations are to invent and push a hotfix to stop this.

shinomaster
08-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Why are cell phones such a rip off? I really don't get why they are so expensive.

keno
08-25-2007, 06:19 PM
goes to Apple, I believe. They care, too.

keno

Elefantino
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I use my cell phone as a phone, to talk with other people.

I guess I'm a dinosaur.

dave thompson
08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I use my cell phone as a phone, to talk with other people.

I guess I'm a dinosaur.
Yup, a relic in today's connected world. ;)

saab2000
08-25-2007, 08:10 PM
There is an iPhone in my future. But I'm gonna wait for the next generation.

I am already and AT&T customer so the switch is not as big a deal. I played with one in a store a few weeks ago and it was cool!! I am a true blue geek I guess!!

Yeah, the price scares me for now. Also, even the 8 gig memory is small. In the next years memory capacity will increase in the same way speed has increased over the past 30 years. Your iPhone will be able to store all recorded data ever recorded. Someday in the not-so-distant future.

Library of Congress-style memory. On your iPhone. It's coming.