PDA

View Full Version : Williamsburg

xlbs
08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Greetings:My wife and I are spending a week in Williamsburg the week after next. Are there "must see" places to see and "must do" things to do there? We're well aware of the historical context there, and intend to visit some museums and other sites. Which are the best?

thanks in advance,

Ian

palincss
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Greetings:My wife and I are spending a week in Williamsburg the week after next. Are there "must see" places to see and "must do" things to do there? We're well aware of the historical context there, and intend to visit some museums and other sites. Which are the best?

thanks in advance,

Ian

Obviously, the Colonial Williamsburg restoration. This is a perfect year to go down to Jamestown -- note there are two separate historical parks down there, one federal and one state -- since it's the 300th anniversary. Also, Yorktown is in the vicinity.

As it happens, all three are connected by the Colonial Parkway, and being a cyclist you will probably want to ride it. If you do, you should note that the pavement on the Parkway is very coarse concrete with gaps between the slabs wide enough to catch a narrow bicycle tire. There were quite a few accidents on the Colonial Parkway at Bike Virginia this year like that. Also, the coarse pavement (especially on the extended loop at Yorktown that goes through the French encampment) includes small sharp quartz bits that wreaked havoc with thin racing tires. I must have ridden past and seen 50 flat tires on the Parkway and at Yorktown.

The cycling in the Williamsburg area is very good. And Surrey County, a ferry ride across the James river from Jamestown, is a cycling paradise.

Hokiemon
08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
I spent 3 years there while attending Law School at William and Mary. By all means spend time in Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of good places to eat Kings Arms, Christina Campbells, The Inn, etc. Also, A good place to stay is the Williamsburg Lodge as it is in the center of it all, although a bit pricey.

Be sure to visit Jamestown and Yorktown. I am always amazed at the "ships" that the colonists came over on. I swear that the colonists couldn't have been more than 4 feet tall. I've seen a lot bigger boats on small lakes.

Also, there is Busch Gardens if you are into the Amusement Park thing.

As the previous post points out, while the Colonial Parkway is a wonderful ride it can be tricky so be careful. Check with the local bike shops and get some routes in the area as it is a great place to ride.

Finally, be sure to take a tour of William and Mary, it is a beautiful campus.

Bart001
08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I spent 3 years there while attending Law School at William and Mary. By all means spend time in Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of good places to eat Kings Arms, Christina Campbells, The Inn, etc. Also, A good place to stay is the Williamsburg Lodge as it is in the center of it all, although a bit pricey.

Be sure to visit Jamestown and Yorktown. I am always amazed at the "ships" that the colonists came over on. I swear that the colonists couldn't have been more than 4 feet tall. I've seen a lot bigger boats on small lakes.

Also, there is Busch Gardens if you are into the Amusement Park thing.

As the previous post points out, while the Colonial Parkway is a wonderful ride it can be tricky so be careful. Check with the local bike shops and get some routes in the area as it is a great place to ride.

Finally, be sure to take a tour of William and Mary, it is a beautiful campus.

Hokiemon -- what years were you there?

OP -- I will add "having a meal at the Trellis restaurant" to the list. Even lunch there is a treat. Try to get there when the weather favors eating outside on the front patio. Also try to save room for a "Death By Chocolate" dessert.

There was a thread last week by a new forum member "Frank" from Williamsburg, I recall.

Hokiemon
08-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I was there from 74-77.

xlbs
08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks! Good tips. We're not planning on any riding this time around. My wife doesn't actually know how to ride a bicycle (imagine that?!!) so when we do ride it's on our old Kuwahara tandem. Since we don't really want to be tangled up with trying to convince the resort that we should be able to store our tandem indoors, and since we don't want to try to fit a roof rack for such a short week, we're going sans bicycles...

I'm interested in seeing some of the civil war museums and sites. Are there some that are better than others?

Thanks again!

Hokiemon
08-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Lots of civil war stuff in the area, just not so much in Williamsburg. The confederate museum is in Richmond, Then there are all the battlefields, Petersburg, Cold Harbor, Appomattox, etc. I think 60% of the War of Northern Aggression was fought on the hallowed soil of the Old Dominion.

Frank Draper
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Ian,

Also, The Mariners Museum ,www.mariners.org/ in Newport News. It is a 30-40 minute drive from Williamsburg and has recently opened the USS Monitor exhibition center. The Museum of the Confederacy, www.moc.org. in Richmond, about a 1 hour drive from Williamsburg. Richmond was the capitiol of the confederacy.

You will be visiting at a good time. We just finished the 400th year celebration a Jamestown and many additions have been added. www.jamestown2007.org. I will contact you if I think of more. I live equal distance between Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown.

Frank

Frank Draper
08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Ian, the Mariners Museum web address is www.mariner.org not www.mariners.org.

Frank

Frank Draper
08-24-2007, 02:20 PM
And, one more. www.jamestown1607.org/visit
Frank

harlond
08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I spent 3 years there while attending Law School at William and Mary. By all means spend time in Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of good places to eat Kings Arms, Christina Campbells, The Inn, etc. A very popular stop in Wmsburg is Pierce's Barbecue off I-64. If you're there for a week, definitely try it. And as someone else said, the Trellis is excellent.

If you like pancakes, Wmsburg has more pancake houses than any place I've been.

(Wm & Mary Law, '82-'85)

Hokiemon
08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Harlond

Where do you practice? I live and practice in Salem, Va. I mostly do real estate and criminal.

DRZRM
08-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow! That's my favorite part of Brooklyn!! :rolleyes:

thanks in advance,

Ian

palincss
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm interested in seeing some of the civil war museums and sites. Are there some that are better than others?

Thanks again!

Petersburg Battlefield, IMO.

Bart001
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I graduated from the law school there in 1984. I was in the first graduating class that spent all 3 years in the "new" building.

I have NO IDEA how I failed to mention Pierce's Pit! If I was going to Williamsburg for a week, I'd eat there 5 times. The last time I went there for half a day, I got pulled pork and cole slaw to go (I should have gotten a pint of sauce too). Pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw, an order of hush puppies, and a diet coke at Pierce's Pit. That is HEAVEN ON EARTH.

harlond
08-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Harlond

Where do you practice? I live and practice in Salem, Va. I mostly do real estate and criminal.Richmond, doing general commercial litigation.

xlbs
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
all for the additional information...sorry not to check in until now. This has been "one of those days" with my investment clients.

We'll be sure to send in a report upon our return.

Although we are Canadians, we're very interested in the history of this area and are anticipating our trip with pleasure. Y'all have added considerably to our "pleasure quotient" already.

Many thanks,

Ian

flydhest
08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree about Pierces, but I find a lot of Williamsburg dining to be a dissappointment. The Trellis consistently underwhelms me. I was Class of '92 and then went back as a professor of economics from '97-99. I go back to see friends fairly often, but tend to stay in an cook.

Some of the places just behind Merchants Square have turned over and have been decent, though, if you want to stay in the historic part.

If you like outdoorsy stuff besides biking, the canoeing and kayaking on the rivers in the area is great.

I am biased, but I agree a tour of the College, at least Old Campus, is worth doing.

rounder
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
You probably already know but Williamsburg was built prior to the Revolutionary War. Some of the buildings there are original but others have been rebuilt based on original design. You can ride your bike around Williamsburg, but not in the historic section during the day. It's fun just to walk around and see the place and talk to the people there. Everyone there is in character and they know their stuff. It's like walking back 200 years in time.

When You walk into the Governor's Mansion, you get an immediate sense of the power of the king. You go into the Raleigh Tavern where the elite would go to meet and drink (T. Jefferson, G. Washington and all), and you would see that it would be a cool bar in any era, but when you go upstairs where everyone lodged, you would realize that it was worse than any Holiday Inn Express. Then you find a place like the cabinet maker's shop or the bridle makers shop and talk to the guys there and see what they are making (world class in any era)...you can just watch what they do but if you talk to them and ask questions you can learn a lot. Been there numerous times and highly recommend it. If you appreciate craftsmanship, you will probably love it there.

This is the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, so that would definitely be worth a trip if you have time. In addition, there are some old plantation houses on the way that are open to the public.

rwsaunders
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Harlond

Where do you practice? I live and practice in Salem, Va. I mostly do real estate and criminal.

Every time that I buy or sell a home, I think that the two terms (real estate and criminal) are more closely related.