PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs OT

Richard
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Anyone seen the show Walking with Dinosaurs -- the Live Experience? It is coming to NJ and I was considering taking my 4 1/2 year old to see his "friend" T-Rex (this has nothing to do with my inner child). Is it worth the $90 +/- per ticket? Both of us loved the series and a live show seems fascinating. Sure would beat the Sponge Bob on ice show that must be in the offing.

Kevan
08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
he's cheaper.

Richard
08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Do you mean Sponge Sandy or Sandysaurous?

Ozz
08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
I've heard it's pretty cool.....and pretty real. Four and a half might be a bit young. My 5 year old couldn't sit thru "Night at the Museum" without getting scared. He is good with cartoon dinos....live action is tough to separate real or pretend.

Your child may be different.....

Richard
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I know what you mean about reality, fantasy and fear. I think he'd be OK. He's done well with the small screen of Walking with Dinosaurs, a special on "Big Al," another realistic Allosaurous show. What scares him are monsters and somehow he considers dinosaurs somewhat non threatening. I would hate for a show like this to change that viewpoint, though. I was hoping someone had seen it and could report on the fear factor as well as the cool factor.

rustychisel
08-23-2007, 09:08 PM
It's pretty good, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's well worth the money, but 4 1/2 might be a bit young... these things are big and scary and you wouldn't want to make the mistake of thinking this is some overblown dolls show. Here's a review my guy wrote from earlier this year.

" Walking With Dinosaurs: The Live Experience
Entertainment Centre
Tues 6 March
Season Closed

"It's a kingdom ruled by hatchlings!" booms palaeontologist narrator Huxley introducing the age of the dinosaurs, crouched over a nest of eggs as two new dinosaurs emerge. Seconds later a Liliensternus - upright walking, five metres in length - appears and eats the first. Before it can get the second its mother arrives; the first of the large dinosaurs, a Plateosaurus, to defend its nest. And like Liliensternus, we've had just a taste of what's to come.

'Walking With Dinosaurs: The Live Experience' was always going to be a tricky affair to bring to life, but the producers behind the show have done an immensely impressive job. The set is simple but effective, with air-filled vegetation adding colour and context when required, leaving plenty of room for the prehistoric stars to roam and shine.

Sonny Tilders and his team have exceeded expectation in both creating the dinosaurs and making them utterly believable. The Jurassic confrontation between a Stegosaurus and Allosaurus demonstrates the depth of dinosaurian design involved. As both creatures stand battling for breath between attacks they genuinely look alive; bodies rising and falling as they pant.

Despite the large dinosaurs being driven on unobtrusive frames and the mobile creatures being visibly costumed actors, the illusion holds up superbly. The juvenile and adult Brachiosaurs prove a hit as they wander the arena getting up close and personal with the front rows, and the three Utahraptors are as menacing as they must have actually been; one showing brains could overcome brawn, even back then.

It all climaxes with a Torosaurus and Anklyosaurus getting between a mother Tyrannosaurus Rex and her baby. Lots of noise and threatening postures ensue as three very believable, very big dinosaurs face off and narrator Huxley does his best to stay out of the way.

There are some adjustments to be made - the script needs more balance as the second half is loaded with punchlines absent from the first - but in combining accessible science with entertainment and playing unashamedly to families, 'Walking With Dinosaurs: The Live Experience' is a success on every level, primarily due to the level of realism of the beasts themselves. However you choose to look at it, there's no doubt we saw intelligent design on display tonight.

Wade Howland"

from http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/407/iv-WalkingWithDino.shtml

Richard
08-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks.

cs124
08-24-2007, 07:18 AM
My 4yo was scared by them. They are very big and real looking. Maybe wait a year or two.

Sandy
08-24-2007, 07:25 AM
he's cheaper.

Only for you! Frequent user discount! :)

Here before the dinasours,

Sandysaurous

classic1
08-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Anyone seen the show Walking with Dinosaurs -- the Live Experience? It is coming to NJ and I was considering taking my 4 1/2 year old to see his "friend" T-Rex (this has nothing to do with my inner child). Is it worth the $90 +/- per ticket? Both of us loved the series and a live show seems fascinating. Sure would beat the Sponge Bob on ice show that must be in the offing.

I took my 5 1/2 yo to it in Melbourne and he loved it, even though he was a bit nervous beforehand.

It was worth every cent IMO. :D