PDA

View Full Version : speedplay X-2 Vs. Zero Stainless

gt6267a
07-04-2004, 12:49 AM
After some problems with my knee, I have decided to pickup a set of speedplays before I get back to riding. i was basically set on the x-2s but my lbs recommended the zero.

i am wondering if anyone has experience with the zero pedal and is able to confirm the smooth float? as well, anyone ridden both the x and zero and able to comment on any differences in the float? is the only difference in the ability to control the amount?

thanks and regards,
k

PBWrench
07-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Can't comment on Zero's ride, but have ridden X/1 and X/2 for several years. Knee pain disappeared magically. I believe the only difference w/ the Zeros is float control. I've never felt the need to limit the float on mine. Good luck!

William
07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Ditto,
I switched for two reasons: I was begining to get a little knee pain due to a slightly toed in position my feet naturally gravitate to, and a quick no-brainer ability to clip in fast for mass Criterium starts. I to feel no need to limit the amount of float in the pedal. Even out of the saddle balls-to-the -wall sprinting feels totally fine to me with unlimited float.

Bottom line, IMHO, your knees will love you for it. :)

William

Kevin
07-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I have been riding X/1s for 4 years. Double entry and allowing your body to naturally pick the proper angle make these pedals a no-brainer.

Kevin

shinomaster
07-04-2004, 05:50 PM
I've been using speedplays since 1993..and I coudn't imagine riding on anything else. I Think the x2's are cheaper and have more float. Why would the zero's be better?

:confused: :confused:

victoryfactory
07-04-2004, 06:14 PM
I've been using speedplays since 1993..and I coudn't imagine riding on anything else. I Think the x2's are cheaper and have more float. Why would the zero's be better?

:confused: :confused:

I also love the X series speedplays. I think the zeros were developed to
answer the pros and others who wanted a way to limit the float or set it
more precisely.

VF ,no knee problems or hot foots (feets?) with the X-2's

Speedi Pig
07-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I just switched from Looks to Zeros this spring and would never go back. I find the Speedplays:

Easy double sided entry - a plus but I now have a smaller target to aim for - takes some getting used too.

Easy adjustable float - big deal for me since I have a pretty bad motion control issue in my right foot.

Very secure clip in - when you're clipped in you ain't coming out unless you want to.

I tried the X Series when I got the Looks but the totally free float (LBS highly recommended the Speedplays), but it was immediately very obvious that they would not work...my right foot was nearly clipping out on every pedal stroke due to over pronation.

I'm not sure if my Zeros have the totally frictionless float I remember from the day I tried the X's, but maybe my pedal stroke has smoothed out a bit. While the Zeros are defintely freer than the Looks, I have noticed the "standing on ball bearings" sesnsation that I had with the X's that I have heard others describe. Basically, with X's, you'll either love 'em or you won't be able to use them at all.

Why don't you go into the shop and try out both on a trainer? If your stroke is really smooth, the X's will probably work for you. If not, the Zeros should solve pretty much any issue there.

Things to keep in mind with Speedplays:

They have to "wear in" over several rides. Clipping in and out will be more difficult in this period. You might spray some WD40 on a rag and wipe the pedals before riding; that will help. Putting a couple hundred miles on them before hitting a group ride, century, or race would be a good idea.

Keep the cleats and pedals clean. Dirt will make clip in and out more difficults as well. I wipe mine off with the afor mentioned rag and WD 40 after every ride.

It is an excellent pedal system, but the claims regarding weight are somewhat exaggerated. While the pedals are very light, the cleats are about the heaviest there is since they're metal and the clipless mechanism is actually in the cleat. I wouldn't let that deter your purchase (I still think it's the best pedal) just don't set unrealistic expectations.

Good Luck!!